Local Game Store Tour

DM_Jeff

Explorer
I needed an excuse to get out of the house so as not to be in the way this weekend citing home repairs. I mapped out the three ‘Friendly Local Game Stores’ an hour from my front steps in southern New Jersey USA and went on tour.

The first was about 5 minutes away, a little thing called Ron’s Comic World. It’s pretty small but did have part of the store devoted to tabletop gaming (either RPGS or Card Games). It’s about 75% comics and 25% gaming…or, rather 4e. It had shelves lined with every 4e item from the launch last year right up to Monster Manual minis, but not a glint of any other RPG at all. Decent folk there, but hardly worldly on games. A classic comic shop dabbling in gaming.

The second was about 20 minutes away: All Things Fun, and it rocked. They had a tournament of sorts on and there had to have been 50 folks in their tabletop area playing games. It’s about 25% comics, 50% games, and 25% “all things fun” (like toys). It was very neat and clean. Despite the chaos, the owner took time to talk with me. He was very knowledgeable and energetic. Very well stocked, 4e naturally, and a surprise sampling of other RPG core books and supplements as well, and plenty of Paizo’s Gamemastery items like map packs and cards (but no Pathfinder books yet). To me, this is more of what a FLGS should be. They made sure to remind me of Free RPG day and to come and run something.

Last was one about 45 minutes away, The Gamers’ Realm. Back in the late 90’s into early 2000’s this was my hangout of choice before I moved. And, before it came under new management and went right down the tubes that is. I had a list of horror stories to share before I stopped going over five years ago, and they haven’t changed a bit. Despite the place looking nearly condemned (and a classy pile of garbage on the sidewalk outside; see the pic) the place was dark and gloomy. It is 100% games, and had a pitiful sampling of 4e, plenty of Paizo’s Gamemastery maps and cards (but again no books) and shelves and shelves of stuff like 3e 3rd party books, 2e boxed sets and board games from the past 20 years. There was a gaming section in the back that was dark and empty.

And that concluded my visitation. I have to hand it to All Things Fun, they are a legit, actual “FLGS” alive and well right here in 2009. Unlike the other places, they’re participating in worldwide D&D game day, free RPG day and host weekly tournaments like card games and Star Wars minis. Hat’s off to them!

Have any game stores you'd recommend or warn folks away from in your area?

-DM Jeff

Attachments

• Comic World.JPG
    Comic World.JPG
    676.8 KB · Views: 476
  • All Things Fun.JPG
    All Things Fun.JPG
    867.3 KB · Views: 479
  • Gamers Realm.JPG
    Gamers Realm.JPG
    610.6 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
I mapped out the three ‘Friendly Local Game Stores’ an hour from my front steps in southern New Jersey USA and went on tour.
Wow, I didn't know South Jersey had any significant gaming stores. I have done the tour of game stores in the nearby areas of surrounding states (PA & MD...as I said, I didn't know of any in South Jersey). I knew a number of gamers from the Pennsville, Carney's Point area and they always had to travel across the bridge to Delaware for their gaming fix.

I am glad to say that my local stores stack up very well with any I had visited. In fact, the first store that held up well was down in Norfolk. I admit, I did miss the Compleat Strategist, but only because I couldn't find it while in King of Prussia.

Last edited:

Mika

First Post
The Compleat Strategist in King of Prussia is well worth the effort of locating -- they are probably the best store in the area in terms of what they have in stock in the store. I used to make the trip out there every 2 or 3 months for just that reason.

But if we are talking about South Jersey, another store well worth checking out is Ye Olde Hobby Store, which is now located in Cinnaminson across Route 130 from the Acme. They have a D&D 4E game every Friday evening, other RPGs on Saturdays, and a variety of war games the rest of the week. For people who live in or near Philadelphia, it is a much shorter drive than any of the other game stores mentioned so far in this thread.

Thanlis

Explorer
I have done the tour of game stores in the nearby areas of surrounding states (PA & MD...as I said, I didn't know of any in South Jersey).

How's Legends Comics and Games in Towson? I'm about to move and I think that's the closest gaming store -- there's a comics store in a stripmall that's closer, but it's light on non-4e stuff.

PoeticJustice

First Post
How's Legends Comics and Games in Towson? I'm about to move and I think that's the closest gaming store -- there's a comics store in a stripmall that's closer, but it's light on non-4e stuff.

As I'm moving to Towson, MD in August, I'm really hard up for any game store recommendations. Please, please post if you know any good ones!

As for my localities (Dale City to Richmond, VA), there are there are three that I recommend patronizing and several that I don't feel strongly enough to recommend one way or the other.

The first is Game Parlor in Dale City, VA. Although the folks attending the counter don't always live up to it, this is the most professionally run game store I've ever been. Large, well-lit, and clean. On the inventory side of things, the store is incredibly well stocked, keeping Hardbacks for virtuall every game system I've heard of. In addition to 4e stuff, I've been able to buy the new PARANOIA book and the new edition of Baron Munchausen. Their board game stock is even better. On the downside, there are no discounts, so one may experience sticker shock after buying books cheaper elsewhere. Still, this brick-and-mortar gaming Amazon is well worth the trip.
Did I mention that not only to they have 30 or so game tables, but also a separate roleplaying room in the back?

The second is Game Vault in Fredericksburg, VA. This store is unfortunately not as clean as Game Parlor, and is not as well stocked, but has several features that make it my favorite of the three. The first is hours. While Game Parlor closes every day at 9 p.m. sharp, Game Vault will regularly stay open past midnight to acommodate customers. One time they stayed open an hour late on a weekday just so I could drive up from Richmond and buy a board game. Also, Game Vault offers discounts on special orders, discounts to customers who have spent a certain threshhold of money (200 and 500 dollars), and occasionally has roll-a-d20-and-get-that-percent-off-days. Game Vault also has a well-stocked game library from hich anyone can just walk up and use. Finally, Game Vault has incredibly cheap snacks and offers regular customers a small tab payable at the end of the month. Customer Service is something they take really seriously here, and I think it shows.

Finally there One Eyed Jacques at Richmond, VA. This store offers such steep discounts (40-60%) discounts on products at their ebay store that I feel like a sucker buying things anywhere else. The store maintain decent stock on mainstream current RPGs like GURPS, WoD, and D&D. They have good minis selection. This is the smallest of the three, and consequently there isn't as much play space, and it is often monopolized by long-established groups of grognard magic and D&D players.

Glyfair

Explorer
Never been there. Mostly because the last time I was in Towson (besides passing by on 95) was when Origins was there.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases