2010: Is it Dragonlance? (hint)

Drkfathr1

First Post
I want Greyhawk!

I'd rather have Dragonlance then Dark Sun though. Dark Sun may be PoL and may even fit the tiered system, but the everything core must fit concept of 4E could destroy Dark Sun were everything was modified to match the setiing.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll get to DS eventually. (and destroy it) :lol:

There are some indications of Dragonlance, but that might just be the usual working bits of settings into the core that they are doing with ALL of the old settings.

For the record, my guesses in order of likeliness are:
1) New Oriental Adventures-inspired setting
2) Dark Sun
3) Dragonlance
4) Something completely new, perhaps one of the runner ups from the setting search

But those are just guesses and there's random snippets and rumors here and there that support any of them (or any of several more ideas). All I know is in the Tome Show podcast Chris Perkins and James Wyatt stated that the big announcement of the next setting will be at Gen Con. I figured they would wait until after Eberron could be focused on for a bit, but that's the first I've heard of them clearly stating when the announcement will be.

Drakhar

First Post
I'd be taking anything gleaned from said source with a large grain of salt, seeing as apparantly the next Player set has an Invoker in the Arcane set and two warlords in the divine set.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
You might be right, but it could also be just for the anniversary celebrations. I think it could go either way.

The Weis & Hickman seminar is about the 25th anniversary of Dragonlance. Nothing to do with a 4e version of DL.

PH3 has Minotaur as a playable race

Minotaurs are in many worlds, so I wouldn't use that as evidence. That being said, it's my belief that Dragonlance perfected the minotaur. Of course, as the guy who wrote the most about minotaurs in the 3.5 gaming books, I'm extremely biased. :cool:

Raistlin shows up in the Character Builder as a sample

Raistlin is one of the two most popular D&D characters, right up there with Drizzt. I think that's why you saw his 4e stats.

Personally, I think Dark Sun is more likely at this point for a few reasons.

1. The Prism Pentad novels have just been re-released. Why do that now unless you're gearing up to getting people into Dark Sun?

2. PHB3 has psionics. That would be a nice tie-in.

3. It's too soon after the Sovereign Press/Margaret Weis Productions era. The 3.5 license allowed MWP to produce the best Dragonlance gaming products ever. WotC would practically be "competing" with the prior edition if they did DL now. Best to let DL sit so that there's a few years in between, and then WotC would be more successful in a reboot or re-imagining, or at least adding 4e elements to DL.

4. No DL novels planned past this year, save for the Raistlin Chronicles omnibus.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Out of curiousity, if Dragonlance were the next setting ... what class would likely be in the Dragonlance Player's Guide?

Dragonlance in 3.5 had 4 classes in the setting that weren't in the main D&D books: mariner, master, mystic, and noble.

Mariner is now a background, and the role can be duplicated through the fighter or rogue classes. Possibly ranger as well. The noble fills much the same role as the warlord. Likewise, noble is also now a background. The master was the player character equivalent of the expert, and was based highly on the 3.5 craft, knowledge, perform, and profession skills. That doesn't translate well to 4e.

My money, then, is on the mystic, which is to the cleric what the sorcerer is to the wizard. In 4e terms, they're divine leaders who draw divine power from within rather than from a deity. So this may cover more of the roles that the ki power source might have covered had it seen fruition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases