Paranoia: Gauging Interest

Redclaw

First Post
I have been convinced to dig up my copy of Paranoia XP to put together a one-shot for a local gaming group. In doing so, I have remembered what I loved about the game years ago, and have been inspired to bring the Paranoia back.

[sblock=Breif Overview of the System]For those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure, Paranoia is a satirical romp through a warped futuristic underground complex run by a supercomputer with strong fear for commie mutant traitors. It's a bit like Brave New World, with a hint of Monty Python and the Marx Brothers. The PCs are 'troubleshooters', carefully selected citizens assigned to investigate and deal with problems in the complex. The assignment is dangerous and thankless, but at least the Computer is likely to turn on you at the drop of a hat and have you executed, if your fellow troubleshooters aren't proactive about finding you treasonous and executing you to save the Computer the trouble.

As a matter of fact, one of your major duties is to look out for traitors who are members of secret societies or mutants. Each PC is, by definition a member of a secret society, and is also a mutant. Fortunately, executions need to be carefully justified with the proper documentation of evidence, so while the players know your character is a traitor, their characters need to uncover evidence first. Needless to say, in the race to find reasons to off each other for the Computer, the main mission often seems less significant. Luckily, in its benevolence, the Computer has seen fit to provide each troubleshooter with 6 clones. The next in line is available as each predecessor is destroyed. It is also important to know that the Computer doesn't believe that clones should be judged by previous versions' treason, so PCs need to collect new evidence before offing the replacement clone.[/sblock]

A player's guide (rules light, as the players aren't high enough security clearance to know the rules) is available at the ENWorld store as a pdf for $5, here.

Please sound off if you're interested in serving the Computer as a loyal troubleshooter. I'm also interested in who has played the game before.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases