Gamerprinter's Map Emporeum

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Soon to get a new site up - FreeRPGMaps.com

As kind of an extension of this thread, and others like it on other forums I visit, I decided to create a new website, where I plan to post two free encounter scale maps each week, plus post free bonus material for my settings and adventures that I am publishing (or will be soon publishing).

The site is going to be called Free RPG Maps, freeRPGmaps.com. It will have a Wordpress Blog where I will be posting each map with links to downloadable files. After the next map is uploaded, I will move the previous map into a gallery part of the site, which will contain all the maps provided overtime, and eventually be categorized by type, setting and style.

It will be a free site, free signup, free maps content...

The goal is to post only encounter scale maps, rather than other types, though the gallery may contain such maps in addition to those published each week.

The site of course is intended to promote my other projects and my Gamer Printshop map printing service, and I might even place banner ads for other RPG companies/products.

I've recently had an education on what makes a 4e map versus any other kind of map, and that includes lots of room for battles to move around, lots of pitfalls/cliffs and other terrain hazards, as well as multiple places bad guys are entering the fight area - these kinds of maps will be the majority or at least part of the goal in any map posted. Also most maps will be the photo-realistic with 3D elements style of map, though I will periodically post my hand-drawn style as well.

Downloadable maps will be PDFs in full scale one piece map, letter size sliced version of the map, grayscale versions of each map, and especially for hand-drawn versions a b/w lineart version of the map. Also each map will be available with square grid, hex grid or no grid. Also an available file will be ready for use in several Virtual Terrain apps.

Another thought is to create unlabeled village, town, regional and continental maps - then offer a fee paid service to place labels as per an individual GM's desires to better match a home-brew campaign.

I say the site should up and ready by the end of next week (perhaps I'm just being hopeful - I'm not a coder, but doing all the design/code work).

The site will be working with Wordpress blog, Forum, Gallery suite, and perhaps a Wiki down the road to host my Kaidan setting gazetteer, and other projects.

Is this something worth doing?

GP

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Sounds like a very useful idea. I was not aware of your service until, so you are already reaping advertising benefits before you even post the first map. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Making a U-Tube Product Demo and Promo for new site

How to Pay for Free Map Site

OK, first time thing for me, and not that anyone cares what I look and sound like, but... this Saturday I am doing a demo of one of my map products that will coincide with the free maps that I plan to offer each week, with different terrain sets every two weeks.

Anyway, I couldn't think of a better way to demo the product and a printed version of the first intended free map in use with miniatures.

The product is a unique map tile set of my "invention" about 3 years ago, it has been my consistent best selling product, but still lots of people have no knowledge of the product. So I thought how do I best demonstrate the free and associated paid-for product for online marketing to get the word out there about the coming new site. Make a video demo.

A young friend of mine films bands like Wooky Foot using Hi Def cameras at those four day band concerts around the US. He's a pro, and he is going to shoot me doing the demo. After editing, titling, maybe some music the demo will be uploaded to U-Tube... kind of scary!

I'll post a link to the video, once its up in the Publisher/Industry Forum.

Thoughts?

GP

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Art show in NYC

Argh! I'm still struggling with the website, PHP is such a pain, but I'll get thru shortly enough and have it up and running soon.

However, on some side news, I will be having at least three of my maps featured in a NYC Art Gallery showing of Cartographers' Guild maps. I just learned it will be at the Soho Gallery of Digital Art, and held on July 16 - 29th.

http://www.sohodigart.com

So some of my fantasy maps will be on display in a New York City Art Gallery - very cool, I'm very excited.

GP

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Isometric map of Menhir stone circle

So this month's challenge at the Cartographers' Guild is to create a map that centers of a Ley Lines Locus of Power - any genre or theme. So I decided since I'm doing preliminary work on my next intended setting, The Realms of Keld (an iron age Celtic setting), and I've started creating my Ireland analog and created a map for it - I decided to use it as an inset map, with a location of the Menhir Dance (old name for a stone circle) on the map.

The larger map will be an up close map/illustration, like my Iwaizumi map, a 3D scene, so you can see the stones and structures properly with detail.

Anyway, I created the menhir stone circle and omphalos stone (at center) on an eroded terraced hill with a mostly flat surrounding plain, other rune stones surrounding the circle, an further circle of stones beyond, then stone and thatched roofed round houses surrounded by stone walls in the outlying areas with roads and perhaps an oxen with cart and other people, perhaps druids in procession heading for the stone circle. In the background with be an edge escarpment and Anwynn Lake below - as in mapped location of inset map.

First is the inset map - which will be used as a regional map and part of a larger map with my analog British Isles, island filled channel and a Gallic analog region of continent beyond - that map yet to do.

First map below is the regional inset map - completed.

The second map is the start of the menhir circle and hill at the center of the defined area. This is done in 3D, printed, traced and detailed with pen, scanned, then composited in Xara with texture filled shapes of the grassy areas on the tops of the terraces and hilltop. A true multi-media illustration.

Thoughts?

GP

hybrenia-new-thumb.jpg

menhir-thumb.jpg

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Done with the map, so back to development

Maybe a tweak or two, might add in a compass rose and scale, but the map is basically done. I am sharing it though, I plan to include it as part my eventual publication for the setting.

Here's the map as needed for the contest entry at the CG.

OK, enough drawing, time to get back to work! :p

GP

Link to larger file: http://www.gamer-printshop.com/cbg/menhir-dance.jpg

menhir-dance-thumb.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases