How to Paint Minis the Bruce Campbell Way*

Shape D.

First Post
Fantastic idea on the Graybrushing to start the mini. Haven't tried it with an entire mini before, but usually anything I've painted the dreaded color red I paint black and white, and use the red basically as a wash.

I had given up using black primer due to the lack of 'zing' you get when using a white primer, but I'll have to give this a try. Especially on those chainmail wearing mini's that don't always get the deep recesses painted when inking over them.

Xyxox

Hero
I'm on the verge of buying an airbrush and compressor as I have a couple dozen tanks to paint for Warhammer 40K.

My question is, has anybody tried using Gesso to prime minis? I've seen some posts on the internet and have been considering it. Gesso has teeth for binding paint to the surface and can be used on a wide variety of surfaces. I'm thinking of going with Golden Black Gesso as I love Golden's acrylics in 2 and 4 oz. squeeze bottles (Better than Vallejo paints, IMO, and maybe a bit cheaper in most colors).

If this works out for me, I'll never buy a spray can of primer again.

dvvega

Explorer
Your greybrush technique is very well explained. What do you think of a flat white prime (*GASP*) but then followed up by a black or brown wash? It seems to achieve similar results to what you have described.

D

Holy Bovine

First Post
Deserving of a big bump. Hopefully tallyrand sees this thread and posts more awesome pics and advice. I am getting back into mini painting after a long absence and these tips and techniques are going to help a lot.

pdmiller

Explorer
What about horses?

I've had some success with the rich red-brown type hide for horses, and even a centaur. Now for some inexplicable reason I've decided to paint a horse dapple-grey. I must have been insane.

Desperately seeking tips for this project, initial efforts have been disheartening..

AJCarrington

Explorer
There is a pretty good article about painting horses over on Brushthralls. I believe that one of the examples is a grey horse. There is another good one over at Chest of Colors, though the final coloring may be darker than your looking for.

Regards,

AJC

Ulrick

First Post
I'm going to try greybrushing, since my miniatures, when completely painted, always seem so dark since I only use black primer.

JoeGKushner

First Post
I'm on the verge of buying an airbrush and compressor as I have a couple dozen tanks to paint for Warhammer 40K.

My question is, has anybody tried using Gesso to prime minis? I've seen some posts on the internet and have been considering it. Gesso has teeth for binding paint to the surface and can be used on a wide variety of surfaces. I'm thinking of going with Golden Black Gesso as I love Golden's acrylics in 2 and 4 oz. squeeze bottles (Better than Vallejo paints, IMO, and maybe a bit cheaper in most colors).

If this works out for me, I'll never buy a spray can of primer again.

Gesso priming

pros and cons over there.

I dig my airbrush. Badger 105 for the 'thick' paint and a renegade for some of the airbrush ready stuff.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases