X5: To the Temple of Death - IC

Rhun

First Post
"Indeed," says Aram. "Is it safe to proceed in this direction?" asks the dervish, gesturing in the way they were going. "I'd hate to experience anymore of that gas."

kinem

Adventurer
The way ahead is certainly not safe in any way, but the party has no choice but to proceed if they are to accomplish their mission.

The tunnel branches ahead more than once, but most of these prove to be dead ends. As you travel, you hear stony clicks at various times, and knowing that this means that the boulder-creatures are near you proceed cautiously, but you are not confronted and there is little point in attacking every rock on the chance that it might be an enemy.

You are all tired. It's hard to keep track of time in the tunnels but it certainly feels like you've had more than a day of travelling. The party sets up camp, with a meager dinner consisting of game caught before you entered the tunnels.

Throughout the 'night' there are numerous odd noises and stony tapping, but you see nothing causing it. When you feel you have rested enough (for there is no sunrise here), you resume the journey.

Finally you see light at the end of the tunnel. You emerge into a large sunlit valley. Across the valley are yet more mountains, though. Father Fuller is not too surprised by this, as he'd heard that there are valleys within the Great Pass that must be crossed before entering yet more tunnels.

This end of the valley is a broad plain, very level and free of stones. The grass appears to have been neatly cropped so that it is no longer than 2” in any place. Small brooks criss-cross the valley. Their banks are very soft and marshy. No trees, buildings, or other cover are in sight.

Girgal notices horse tracks as the party crosses one of the streams. There are small fish there as well.

After about a mile of this, you see a group of about half a dozen creatures ahead. They appear to have the bodies of horses but with humanoid upper bodies in place of the horse head - centaurs. They gallop away.

Soon a larger group of the centaurs approaches, about 15 of them. They are armed with composite longbows and lances.

The lead centaur, a male, hails you warily. "Greetings, travellers. Who are you and what is your business here?"

Rhun

First Post
"I am Aram Al Tarik, of Ylaruam." The dervish offers the centaurs a low bow. "My companions are Girgal Scalefoot and his mount Ripclaw, Father Fuller, and Kiera Elzmyr." Aram gestures to each of them in turn. "We seek to cross through the Great Pass, to the far side of the mountains," he adds, careful not to tell these beings the exact nature of their mission until he knows more about them. "And you and your kin? Who are you, and what brings you to this majestic valley?"

kinem

Adventurer
The lead centaur gives a slight bow. "Well met. We are of the Holfield clan, and have lived here for many years. I am Rodree.

I mean no disrespect but we know all of the tunnels are well guarded. These days, no tourists come here. Do you serve the Master?"

Rhun

First Post
Aram remains quiet a moment, as if in thought. If the centaurs served the Master, they would have to be dealt with, so he no longer saw any reason not to tell the truth. He looks into the eyes of Rodree as his hands drift nearer the hilts of his blades. "We are enemies of the Master, and have come to rid the land of he and his dark servants. Please tell me that you are not counted among them..."

kinem

Adventurer
The centaur's dark eyes search you, but he scowls.

"Do you take me for a fool? The tunnels are well guarded. If you were real enemies of the Master, and if you had any brains at all, you would just say you serve the Master and we would have let you pass on through.

Have the geonids put you up to this? Trying to provoke us into admitting we oppose the Master so that you can report it and have us crushed? Those damn rock creatures have been a thorn in our side for too long. Well, if that's it, I won't fall for it!"

[sblock=renau1g]The centaur had a flash of hope across his face before he decided Aram's declaration must be a lie. He wishes that the Master would be defeated, but does not believe it possible and fears the wrath of the Master should he admit anything. The other centaurs are waiting to see what will happen, and will follow Rodree's lead.[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
"Ho-ho-ho." Father Fuller chuckles.

"No, good creature, I believe that my desert friend here is no more capable of lying than I am of harming a servant of good. I follow Amaunator, god of the sun and enemy of the undead. What's a G-O-nid?" he continues, drawing forth his holy symbol and displaying it for them to see.

[sblock=OOc]
Diplomacy (1d20+5=9) *doH!*
[/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Rodree studies Father Fuller.

"Is this a joke? I don't recognize that symbol, but your armor marks you as a servant of the Master" he says.

"If the boulder-creatures promised you gems or gold, they have deceived you. There is nothing worth mining in the tunnels.

Enough of this ridiculous conversation. If you were truly enemies of the Master, you would never make it through. The snake-haired ladies at the far end of the valley would turn you to stone. And even if you got past them, you would never get past the gate."

He turns and trots off, and the other centaurs follow his lead, starting to gallop away.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases