[M&M] Buffyverse game? (OOC) [Recruiting CLOSED] - Page 2

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore jkason
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuri View Post
    I dunno. Spike went 'good' before he ever had a soul. In fact, I found myself getting a bit annoyed with how the show set vampires up to be evil, then started backtracking and showing them as more sympathetic, less menacing (Harmony, anyone?).

I don't mind that a very few vampires either find redemption or at the very least aren't all THAT bad...but I think it undermines the whole premise if that happens a lot. It needs to be established that those incidents are very rare, and often ill-fated.
    The Spike plot was something of a mess, largely because I think the writers were flailing for ways to keep the character around and only partially succeeded in maintaining his central appeal in the process.

I think Harmony worked better for me because she answered a question I'd always wondered: where the hell does every vampire get super ninja training? I was amused that she acted good out of a survival need (the demon community would certainly have no problem literally eating her alive, after all) rather than any real moral compass.

The in-game question, I suppose, is: would having demon-y PC's undermine things, as well? I don't *think* so, but I'm sure I could be convinced otherwise. In general, I somehow always got the impression that vampires were the Buffyverse pirhanna (eat anything and everything that gets within bite range), while other demons were, say, various shark species: dangerous, but not necessarily always, to the same degree, and/or to humans specifially. I suppose flavor-wise, though, we'd want to figure that out early-ish.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore Rhun
    Quote Originally Posted by jkason View Post
    The in-game question, I suppose, is: would having demon-y PC's undermine things, as well? I don't *think* so, but I'm sure I could be convinced otherwise. In general, I somehow always got the impression that vampires were the Buffyverse pirhanna (eat anything and everything that gets within bite range), while other demons were, say, various shark species: dangerous, but not necessarily always, to the same degree, and/or to humans specifially. I suppose flavor-wise, though, we'd want to figure that out early-ish.

I don't think demon PCs would undermine anything. There were plenty of example of good and/or non-evil demon characters in both Buffy and Angel. The key, as Drothgery mentioned, would be to ensure they could at least pass for human.
    - Rhun

For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Shayuri
    Yar, don't get me wrong, Harmony cracked me up. But she did sort of make vampires cute and fluffy.

As for "demony" PC's, I think it's fine. I am considering a PC who's got demonic heritage, for example...maybe even half-demon. The term 'demon' in Buffy is very broad. Lots of demons seem relatively sanguine, if alien, and are content to leave people be if they're left be. Some seem like they're just refugees from other dimensions, rather than an evil spirit from hell.

By the end of the show, Sunnydale had a complete sort of 'demon underground,' which the main characters were well aware of and which functioned with their tacit approval (ie - they let it go on with the understanding that they wouldn't kill and eat people, and in return the slayer wouldn't come and shove sharp things in tender places). So there's clearly FDA-approved doses of demon that are acceptable.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore Rhun
    By the end of the show, Sunnydale had a complete sort of 'demon underground,' which the main characters were well aware of and which functioned with their tacit approval (ie - they let it go on with the understanding that they wouldn't kill and eat people, and in return the slayer wouldn't come and shove sharp things in tender places). So there's clearly FDA-approved doses of demon that are acceptable.
    Angel also established that Los Angeles had a "demon underground" as well. So it goes to say that there could be an underground just about anywhere.
    - Rhun

For every one hundred men you send us, Ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine of them are real fighters; We are lucky to have them, they the battle make. Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior. And he will bring the others back. - Heraclitus of Ephesus, 500 BC

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

Ignore Velmont
    I could be interested. I'm not quite a fan nor very knowledgeable about Buffy. Last episode I've seen was years ago, but I like that kind of world. Lately, I've been reading the Dresden Files, and it have put me in a mood for such a world. I would be interested, and I might play someone who just discover the world of vampires and demons to represent my lack of knowledge about the Buffyverse. Except of new born slayer, what else could fit that?

I am pretty familiar with M&M 2e.
    Characters
    Jarel-karn - Genasi Swordmage 12 [L4W]
    Gloom - Longtooth Shifter Paladin 11 [L4W]
    Eloan - Eladrin Warlord 7 [L4W]
    River - Longtooth Shifter Cleric 11 [LEB]
    Malehan - Elf Avenger 8 [LEB]
    Valeria - Human Witch 1

"Experience is that great thing that allow you to see a mistake when you do it again."

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Shayuri
    Lots of possibilities. You could be a mutant or psychic of some kind. Or a mystic just awakening to his powers. You could be an extra-dimensional who just got warped in...perhaps due to some ill-advised spell miscast, or a trinket of mad science running amok. You could be an ex-soldier, discharged because you've seen too much.

Or...you could be the Xander.

Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore Rhun
    The Zeppo!

Xander was actually one of my favorite characters. No special skills at all, but still right there fighting evil night after night.
    - Rhun

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I Defended The Walls!

Ignore Shayuri
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhun View Post
    The Zeppo!

Xander was actually one of my favorite characters. No special skills at all, but still right there fighting evil night after night.
    If by 'fighting' you mean 'cowering and quipping.'

But yeah, he had heart. And later on they matured him in ways that were gratifying to watch. Good stuff.

Very big buffy/angel fan here.
    I presume you'll be ignoring anything that's happened in the whedon comics that took place after the series? They do flesh out a lot more stuff that's happened since the shows, and anybody who hasn't read them would be at a loss for what's currently happening.
    Probably be the best idea to just start clean-slate timeline at the end of the angel series.

I agree that extra souled-vamps is a bad Idea, but I think having vampire/demon/whatever PC's would make the game more interesting. Maybe some of the PC's come from a background that's more commonly thought of as 'evil' but are working with the 'good guys' for their own reasons? ('The enemy of my enemy', 'lesser of two evils', etc).

As far as system goes, I don't have access to the buffy/angel RPG's, but either D20 Modern or M&M would work fairly well, and be accessible to most people. If you're wanting 'special' characters (Psychics, demons, super-humans), then M&M would probably be more appropriate. If you're going for more of a "Normal people VS the supernatural" approach, then I'd suggest d20 modern.

Another alternative could be using the world of darkness rules.

In anycase, I'd very much enjoy being a part of such a game, maybe as the resident mage/mystical expert.
    Intelligence is the capacity to understand old Ideas.
    Imagination is the ability to come up with New Ideas.

Eagles may soar, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

This isn't evil! You're just a bunch of NERDS!

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Blog Entries

Ignore drothgery
    Eh. I liked Xander as a TV show character, but as an RPG character, he's more than a bit underpowered.
    Dave Rothgery

PBP
    Spoiler:

My EnWorld Blog
    Republic and Empire
    Buffverse M&M game

Characters
    Active
    Sanne Bacher d'Lyrandar in S@squ@tch's Against the Giants - Team Black

Inactive
    Istara Kandorian in Ankh-Morpork Guard's Star Wars: Rebels with Style
    Eric Hassel (Quarterback) in Jemal's Mutant High
    Sariel in Rumspringa's Keep on the Shadowfell
    Khalia ir'Indari in DEFCON1's Eye of the Lich Queen
    Serrana Vao in Karl Green's Knights of the Old Republic (with 213 things Serrana can't do in the Jedi Order)
    Italimelk in Living ENWorld
    Daellin ir'Ayellan in stonegod's Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    drothgery's Victorian Eberron game
    Star Wars/KotOR Era - The Second K'ril Incursion

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast