Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

Theroc

First Post
Why rolling not popular?? I have been looking into the pros and cons of the LEW way I just thought rolling would keep the D&D feel most NPC's will have hp & stats out of the DmG which gives them half their max every lvl

Just keeping things simple but rather make them fun.

Never said I have a problem with rolling, Holy... I just didn't know which way it would be handled, and just wanted to know. Here's hoping my horrible luck doesn't manifest in my hit dice rolls. ;) If they do, I'll have to hide behind the group's fighters. lol

Walking Dad

First Post
Tamor Hunter:

Men living in the south mountain region of Pesh learn from an early age how to fight the dangerous Tamor(direboars) that inhabit the area. These skills are not only used to provide food and hides for their families, but also to protect them from all the other monsters living in the area.

Sub class of Ranger with the following changes:

At lvl 1 a T-hunters 1st favored enemy must be animals, they lose the wild empahty ability and gain the Toughness Feat

BAB and saves are unchanged

Weapon prof. change to the following list: Prof. with dagger, club, shortspear, longspear, quarterstaff, spear, sling, throwing axe, hand axe, shortbow(and composite) Gain: Skill Focus (Intimidate) Feat and Weapon Focus (players choice) Feat

Combat Stlyes (add to archery/two weapon combat) Spear & Shield:
At 2nd lvl gain the ability to use a longspear or spear one handed as long as the other hand has heavy shield in it. Training in throwing regular spears helps with throwing a longspear, lets him throw a longspear with a -2 penalty unstead of -4.
At 6th lvl further spear throwing training brings the penalty down to zero. Gain the Improved Shield Bash feat.
At 11th lvl gain a +2 bonus to Intimidate Checks to Demoralize Opponent checks, when wielding a spear & shield. When setting a spear or longspear against a charge you deal triple damage on a successful hit.

Lose Animal Companion ability and gain Uncanny Dodge ability, because you don't want to be flat-footed when a dire boar breaks from the woods.

Loses spell casting ability and gain a bonus feat at lvls 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th. Feat to be approved by DM.

There you go. Let's twink this class and get it ready to go. and what i was saying about the apache was that the clothing are apache style soft leather, fringes, and bead work. But it could be anything that was more a peoples concept not a class concept.

Looks good. Only problem: I really hate the favorite enemy concept :( Too strong vs. one enemy type, useless against the others.
Could I trade this for monk AC (but still usable with a shield)?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
You may swap out anything you like how would you change the monk AC bonus ability to fit in with the character?

Walking Dad

First Post
Base
When unarmored and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).
These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

to:
When unarmored, the Tamor Hunter adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC.

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the Tamor Hunter is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor or when she carries a heavy load.

Just deleting the passages about the bonus beside wisdom and loosing the bonus for using a shield. Also allowing for medium load (shield and spears weight something. Also looses light armor proficiency.

Would you also be ok to use this toughness feat (from Pathfinder):
Toughness You have enhanced physical stamina.
Benefit
You gain +3 hit points plus 1 hit point per Hit Die. Every time you gain a level or gain Hit Dice, you gain +1 hit point.

wysiwyg

First Post
Tamor Hunter:

Men living in the south mountain region of Pesh learn from an early age how to fight the dangerous Tamor(direboars) that inhabit the area. These skills are not only used to provide food and hides for their families, but also to protect them from all the other monsters living in the area.

At lvl 1 a T-hunters 1st favored enemy must be animals, they lose the wild empahty ability and gain the Toughness Feat

Weapon prof. change to the following list: Prof. with dagger, club, shortspear, longspear, quarterstaff, spear, sling, throwing axe, hand axe, shortbow(and composite) Gain: Skill Focus (Intimidate) Feat and Weapon Focus (players choice) Feat

Combat Stlyes (add to archery/two weapon combat) Spear & Shield:
At 2nd lvl gain the ability to use a longspear or spear one handed as long as the other hand has heavy shield in it. Training in throwing regular spears helps with throwing a longspear, lets him throw a longspear with a -2 penalty unstead of -4.
At 6th lvl further spear throwing training brings the penalty down to zero. Gain the Improved Shield Bash feat.
At 11th lvl gain a +2 bonus to Intimidate Checks to Demoralize Opponent checks, when wielding a spear & shield. When setting a spear or longspear against a charge you deal triple damage on a successful hit.

Lose Animal Companion ability and gain Uncanny Dodge ability, because you don't want to be flat-footed when a dire boar breaks from the woods.

Loses spell casting ability and gain a bonus feat at lvls 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th. Feat to be approved by DM.

There you go. Let's twink this class and get it ready to go. and what i was saying about the apache was that the clothing are apache style soft leather, fringes, and bead work. But it could be anything that was more a peoples concept not a class concept.

Whoopy! I didn't know we had such a huge variety of modification choices. If that's the case I'd like to do change to a different class. Something similar to this but a different ranger sub class - The Soldier of the Kindgom.

Basically, there must be some type of professional soldier, i.e. someone who was raised and trained to be a soldier of the kingdom. He is trained in some basic survival skills that a soldier would need (tracking, survival skill, etc) - for this reason he is more associated withthe ranger than the fighter (just like the spartan above). I am taking almost everything that you gave WD with some exceptions, if you will allow them of course. Let's start: (my comments in red)

At lvl 1 a T-hunters 1st favored enemy must be an enemy of the kingdom, they lose the wild empathy ability and gain the Toughness Feat

Weapon prof. change to the following list: Prof. with whatever weapons are employed by the kingdom's army. Gain: Skill Focus (Intimidate) Feat and Weapon Focus (players choice) Feat

Skills: remove concentration, handle animal, know(dungeoneering/nature), use rope. Add balance, intimidate, know(architechture/local)

Combat Stlyes (add to archery/two weapon combat) sword & Shield:
At 2nd lvl gain a +1 to attack and damage rolls. This bonus increases by a further +1 every 5 levels (takes care of 6th, 11th, 16th level enhancements).
At 7th level: Lose woodland stride, and gain the ledership feat.

Lose Animal Companion ability and gain Uncanny Dodge ability, because you are trained to react swiftly to hostile situations.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
going otu to run chores will be back on 5-6ish going to go over your class

I like the ideal of each of the five kingdoms having a different style of fighter to represent there homeland so will be taking this concept even further

be back tonight

wysiwyg

First Post
OK, I'll admit it, I have this fetish with DB! But I thought of another way to introduce it in a more moderate fashion.

AC = 10 + AC bonuses due from dodge, dex, shield plus the BAB.
Armor will provide a DR equal to the AC bonus.

So a 3rd level fighter with a DEX of 14 (+2) and a large shield wearing chain mail will have -
AC = 10 +2 (dex) +2 (shield) +3 (BAB) = 17
DR = 5 (chain mail)

What do you think?

Other rules that I found used quite often are:

1. Combining several skills into one skill -
a) Open lock = open lock + disable device
b) Stealth = hide + move silently
c) Perception = listen + spot
d) Presence = intimidate + diplomacy
maybe there are more examples?

2. Knowledge (local/geography) should be a skill that should not have the PC's expand their skill points on as it is gained through travel & exposure to new lands & cultures - something that they do automatically via their adventuring careers. Maybe they should have a score of 2 + level + int bonus w/o having to spend further skill points. You could say the same is true for spoken languages, but you need 3 points in order to learn a new language (spoken only).

Feedback please...and be gentle...

Theroc

First Post
OK, I'll admit it, I have this fetish with DB! But I thought of another way to introduce it in a more moderate fashion.

AC = 10 + AC bonuses due from dodge, dex, shield plus the BAB.
Armor will provide a DR equal to the AC bonus.

So a 3rd level fighter with a DEX of 14 (+2) and a large shield wearing chain mail will have -
AC = 10 +2 (dex) +2 (shield) +3 (BAB) = 17
DR = 5 (chain mail)

What do you think?

Other rules that I found used quite often are:

1. Combining several skills into one skill -
a) Open lock = open lock + disable device
b) Stealth = hide + move silently
c) Perception = listen + spot
d) Presence = intimidate + diplomacy
maybe there are more examples?

2. Knowledge (local/geography) should be a skill that should not have the PC's expand their skill points on as it is gained through travel & exposure to new lands & cultures - something that they do automatically via their adventuring careers. Maybe they should have a score of 2 + level + int bonus w/o having to spend further skill points. You could say the same is true for spoken languages, but you need 3 points in order to learn a new language (spoken only).

Feedback please...and be gentle...

Anything that makes my Monk more agile/hard to hit, is something I support... seeing as not wearing armor kinda scares me as a melee combatant.

ghostcat

First Post
Updated where ghostcat. Go ahead and post him in the RG and finish his edits you need a cat here you go.

Cat :: d20srd.org

just make sure to not changes for being a familiar

I am having second thoughts on having a familiar. I still like the idea of a familiar but don't feel its a good idea to take a cat to war. Anyone any ideas how this might work?

Remove ads