Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

Theroc

First Post
Okay, having trouble figuring out a balanced way to mesh Monk features into fighters for my exotic/showoff/pugilist Sub-class... lol

Monk Features that are relatively important to the concept:
Unarmed progression(beating a guy in full plate with bare hands has gotta earn him props)
AC bonus(He'll need to be agile to showoff)
Movement Speed bonus(Again, agile/athletic)

FoB and Ki Strike progression to get around DR would be nice, but I'm easily willing to let these two go, seeing as I can only lose so many feats and such.

Things I am thinking of losing:
At the very least, medium-heavy armor(Probably light too, if the AC bonus will still require no shields/armor)
Shield proficiencies
Will narrow martial weapon choices a bit
Some bonus feats throughout the progression

I'll probably see about getting him an exotic weapons in exchange for losing the variety of martial weapon availability, but that's probably because I really have no idea how to mix the stuff I want into a balanced class, as I have a horrible tendency to crunch stuff compulsively.

Deskjob

First Post
Fighter/Monk Hybrid

Sounds like you should just start as a monk and multiclass fighter around lv4 or 5. Monks can keep there learned stuff even after they multiclass. Ya just can't gain any more lv's in Monk after.

Or do you need all your abilities at lv1? Haha, just kidding. I know, I wish! That would be awesome. (ahem, ok... I'll just shut up now...)

Theroc

First Post
Sounds like you should just start as a monk and multiclass fighter around lv4 or 5. Monks can keep there learned stuff even after they multiclass. Ya just can't gain any more lv's in Monk after.

Or do you need all your abilities at lv1? Haha, just kidding. I know, I wish! That would be awesome. (ahem, ok... I'll just shut up now...)

lol, I have a paranoid thing about leaving classes that have "You can never go back" clauses. If I start one, I'd feel compelled to level it to 20 before leaving it, unless I took one of the "You can freely multiclass between X and Y" feats... which aren't Core... so, I'd have to do it the other way around, lol.

Edit: Also, Holyman just stumbled upon your accidental fork.

Forking is good for when you know what you'd be about to post in a thread would be a tangent not directly related to the thread itself, but something that turned up in the discussion.

Last edited:

Myth and Legend

First Post
Concept: Provided we are not allowed to use books like Complete Warrior, Unearthed Arcana etc... Here is a rough brainstormed draft of the character story:

Loreen (Lora for short), a young bright girl of age 17, with exceptional intellect, a sound dexterous body and a natural beauty. She has an older brother (23) who served in the local militia. When Lora was younger (age 14) she would regularly accompany her brother when she didn't have chores to do or help her parents on the farm and fields. A quick learner and naturally adept at anything she undertook, the girl followed trough with the basic militia training nicely, despite her frail age.

She was a happy and carefree child, until she caught the eye of one of the senior soldiers, who took her by force one evening as she was going home from practice (her brother had to sleep in the barracks). After the incident the man was whipped, removed from the militia and sent off to be trialed by the regional magistrate. Lora, however, was never quite the same. She locked herself in and became distant, silent and lost all desire to talk and play.

Still an able child, she would draw and bring fantastical landscapes and magical creatures to life on the canvas. Lora's parents and brother were thoroughly concerned for her however, and sought out the aid of a local wise woman. The woman was both a healer and alchemist, as well as (reputedly although not proven) a witch. She told them that nothing short of time would heal the wound, but offered the parents to take on Lora as an apprentice.

The girl reluctantly accepted, and for several years she learned much of history, religion, ancient texts, and even magic, for it turned out that the old wise woman was an able spellcaster.

Lora gradually became more open towards the world, as the memory of her trauma faded away, but never truly disappearing. One afternoon, she received a letter from her brother:

"Dear Lora,

I have been conscripted along with much of the militia force, to go and defend our kingdom in the upcoming war. I wish you to be brave and obedient, and ask of you to take care of our parents. Do not worry yourself about me, for we shall see each other soon, baby sister.

Love,
Arthur"

Lora couldn't let him go off to war alone however, and so as soon as she got the letter, the girl packed her meager belongings and ran away from her tutor's house, leaving her a small note for her and Lora's parents...

Mechanics:

Wizard 1-5, Eldritch Knight 5-15 (provided we go that far).

I require you allow the Milita feat from the Player's Guide to Faerun - it gives full martial weapon proficiency, as this will allow me to enter Eldritch Knight without taking a level in a warrior class.

For craft/profession. Well Lora is a farm girl obviously, but her true talent is drawing (Craft: Drawing will be taken). She will also be getting various Knowledge skills, Spellcraft etc.

Sound good?

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Cool idea. But I hate DR.

Opinion: Give everyone the perks of the A1 column from the DB srd20 page. So, you take off your armor, you get a small perk that grows with you.

Downside: Some Npc's and badguys can use it too.

I was thinking of puting new column in AC spot : +1/2 BAB

Everyone would get a bonus not to high and it would be roleplay helpful the lowlvll fighter against the seasoned warrior

So lets go with that for now so we can get on to other topics/characters
and we could always play different missions with different houserules.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Soldier of the Kingdom

This sounds more like a prestige class to me I think we should use the list as a concepts guide line just to add flavor and you make your character up from there what i see is this:

Pesh(skirmish,gurellia tatics,scouts):
1.Barbarian base class- these Peshmen preform supply raids and rear defense for the army
2.Ranger base class- used as trackers and advance scouting
3.Rogue base class- focus on shortbows and ambushing from cover
4.Fighter base class- advanced lines/patrols traveling light and fast but can hit hard and run off
5.Sorcerer base class- multily uses do to spells/ spying(disguise self,charm person,) augment (cats grace,magic weapon) counterspell

The list goes on for every class just pick the stlye you like and twink towards your ideal class.

Player only note: It is weird that a kingdom that has gotten most it's protection from the horselords to the north would start to build an army using light infantry/pikes/and archers. You don't think with the upcoming war the DM would through alittle internal(five kingdoms) strife about. Naa the PC's will be busy enough with the upcoming war he wouldn't do that.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Okay, having trouble figuring out a balanced way to mesh Monk features into fighters for my exotic/showoff/pugilist Sub-class... lol

Monk Features that are relatively important to the concept:
Unarmed progression(beating a guy in full plate with bare hands has gotta earn him props)
AC bonus(He'll need to be agile to showoff)
Movement Speed bonus(Again, agile/athletic)

FoB and Ki Strike progression to get around DR would be nice, but I'm easily willing to let these two go, seeing as I can only lose so many feats and such.

Things I am thinking of losing:
At the very least, medium-heavy armor(Probably light too, if the AC bonus will still require no shields/armor)
Shield proficiencies
Will narrow martial weapon choices a bit
Some bonus feats throughout the progression

I'll probably see about getting him an exotic weapons in exchange for losing the variety of martial weapon availability, but that's probably because I really have no idea how to mix the stuff I want into a balanced class, as I have a horrible tendency to crunch stuff compulsively.

Just take Monk class twink it to become Circle Warrior and then you can take ranks of fighter and go back to Circle Warrior it won't be the monk class anymore.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Player only note: It is weird that a kingdom that has gotten most it's protection from the horselords to the north would start to build an army using light infantry/pikes/and archers. You don't think with the upcoming war the DM would through alittle internal(five kingdoms) strife about. Naa the PC's will be busy enough with the upcoming war he wouldn't do that.
Well it seems you are aiming for a somewhat accurate representation of medieval armies (with added magic). In which regard no one type of unit should dominate. Real armies in the middle ages had the bulk be raw conscripts/levies and other poor foot soldiers. Archer formations regularly had men-at-arms stationed in between ranks to help with melee battle, although the archers themselves frequently dropped their bows and charged (yes charged) in melee quite effectively. Spears, Pikes and lager Halberds were employed with great success versus mounted men-at-arms but a determined charge could not be stopped with ease.

So an army had all the key "kinds" of soldiers, of course the rich nobility and successful professional soldiers making the core of the heavily armoured and well armed cavalry. An army also dragged a very large amount of smiths, fetchers, cooks, washers and all other manner of craftsmen/tradesmen and other civilians.. Oh don't get me started on this i can ramble on forever :D My point is, if you are aiming for realism no one kingdom should be focusing on one kind of soldiers, and the other on counter soldiers - that's gaming talk, not realism.

Even if you try and give an example with the infamous and over-hyped English Longbow for example, a closer study on the battles in the hundred year war would show you that the English did not employ ONLY longbow men (although approximately 9000 were used at Crecy) and most of their victories were due to better leadership, tactics, terrain and morale. Ok i really need to shut up now :)

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Concept: Provided we are not allowed to use books like Complete Warrior, Unearthed Arcana etc... Here is a rough brainstormed draft of the character story:

Loreen (Lora for short), a young bright girl of age 17, with exceptional intellect, a sound dexterous body and a natural beauty. She has an older brother (23) who served in the local militia. When Lora was younger (age 14) she would regularly accompany her brother when she didn't have chores to do or help her parents on the farm and fields. A quick learner and naturally adept at anything she undertook, the girl followed trough with the basic militia training nicely, despite her frail age.

She was a happy and carefree child, until she caught the eye of one of the senior soldiers, who took her by force one evening as she was going home from practice (her brother had to sleep in the barracks). After the incident the man was whipped, removed from the militia and sent off to be trialed by the regional magistrate. Lora, however, was never quite the same. She locked herself in and became distant, silent and lost all desire to talk and play.

Still an able child, she would draw and bring fantastical landscapes and magical creatures to life on the canvas. Lora's parents and brother were thoroughly concerned for her however, and sought out the aid of a local wise woman. The woman was both a healer and alchemist, as well as (reputedly although not proven) a witch. She told them that nothing short of time would heal the wound, but offered the parents to take on Lora as an apprentice.

The girl reluctantly accepted, and for several years she learned much of history, religion, ancient texts, and even magic, for it turned out that the old wise woman was an able spellcaster.

Lora gradually became more open towards the world, as the memory of her trauma faded away, but never truly disappearing. One afternoon, she received a letter from her brother:

"Dear Lora,

I have been conscripted along with much of the militia force, to go and defend our kingdom in the upcoming war. I wish you to be brave and obedient, and ask of you to take care of our parents. Do not worry yourself about me, for we shall see each other soon, baby sister.

Love,
Arthur"

Lora couldn't let him go off to war alone however, and so as soon as she got the letter, the girl packed her meager belongings and ran away from her tutor's house, leaving her a small note for her and Lora's parents...

Mechanics:

Wizard 1-5, Eldritch Knight 5-15 (provided we go that far).

I require you allow the Milita feat from the Player's Guide to Faerun - it gives full martial weapon proficiency, as this will allow me to enter Eldritch Knight without taking a level in a warrior class.

For craft/profession. Well Lora is a farm girl obviously, but her true talent is drawing (Craft: Drawing will be taken). She will also be getting various Knowledge skills, Spellcraft etc.

Sound good?

Please post full description of Milita feat.

But with the detailed background explaining how she came about learning weapons and the sub Quest (+20xp it brought a tear to me eye) I believe it will be approved.

Post Lora in the RG when you have time Starting July1

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The armies

I have wanted to keep some realism but what is listed is the core of each army their specialty. Norden(heavy infanrty) would have some crossbowmen and even calavry though not much only nobles most likely. But what i listed is over 50% of what they would deploy so characters would most likely be that style.

Love Lora's concept can't wait to see wht you come up with in the RG;
oh let me know when you post her.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases