Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

wysiwyg

First Post
Last straw: monk as base. Only 'monk weapons' spear, shield, slashing shortsword (stats like cutlass), unarmed. All weapons used by a monk do monk unarmed damage (only type (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing...) changes). AC feature allows for med load and shields, but looses static bonus for monk levels. Close to the base class enough?

Hi WD. Why not look at my monk variant. It could very easily serve here. Just use his weapon of choice as the longspear. It's almost identical to what you have asked for.

(Can you post the stats for the cutlass)

wysiwyg

First Post
Yeah, your right. Monks are just cool like that. Why not a variant monk too right? Makes sense.

Last thing though. Why the improving attack and damage every 5 levels? Can't you just enchant your weapon like the rest of us? Monks can't enchant their fists so they get a damage bonus, right? Or were we hoping for both; for a +10/+10/+Ki at lv20?

"Wow, you just crit... So,.. I think he exploded?... into outer space.";););)

This is what I wrote to answer this question in my previous post:

Abilties:
Flurry of strikes replaces flurry of blows (change in name only)
Improved Strike replaces Unarmed damage. A weapon already has its own damage dice and doesn't really change. Whereas the monk's damage does. I had two options: (a) Make the damage of the weapon change to be the same as the monk's current unarmed strike, or (b) keep the weapon damage dice the same but increase the damage dealt as the PC progresses. Option (b) made more sense to me. So I gave him a much lower damage bonus (a 20th level monk gets 2d10 for his strikes, whereas my class only has +5 for my option. But to compensate, I gave him pluses to his attack roll. If anyone prefers, I could always just go back to option (a) instead.

The standard monk is really like my monk (option a) but with unarmed strike as the chosen weapon. My variant-monk just uses a different weapon (and option b). I could always just switch back to option (a), but with a weapon that does incremental damage dice as levels are added. Then he'd be just the same.

I just had a thought...a cunning thought that might even help WD and Theroc (and me). We cannot just give up abilities because the monk has so many and receive feats instead. What we might be able to do, is be able to choose what benefit we get for losing an ability (and still be in game balance mode). This can be applicable to all classes maybe. How about the following for trading an ability (or even an ability improvement):

Choose one:
a) +1 to hit (with one weapon)
b) +1 to damage (with one weapon)
c) +1 to parry bonus (effects AC & Touch but not Flat Footed)
d) Reduce ACP by 1
e) +1 to one save
f) +3 skill points
g) +2 HP
h) One extra spell that can be cast at highest level
i) +1 caster level for determining save DCs
h) proficiency in light armor (if you have none), or medium (if you already have light), or heavy (if you already have medium)
j) Increase your speed by 10.
?) Anything else? Please note that most of the above are weaker than feats.

Class abilities that improve can be exchanged the second (and third and so on) time as well. For example:
Rogues can exchange the +1d6 sneak attack and gain one of the above. He can do the same again when he gets the next +1d6 sneak attack.
The monk can do the same when his unarmed strike damage increases, or his ac bonus, or give up any of his other abilities.

You can choose the same option more than once (even for the same weapon, AC improvement). They will be cumulative.

This will be available to all classes of course. So a ranger, paladin, rogue could also swap one of their class abilities and gain one of the bonuses above every time they swap one of their abilities.

Myth and Legend

First Post
Hmm it seems that several of the posters in this thread have registered June 09... It's either appealing to new players or someone has registered more than one account and is posting with them (which would be weird)

Deskjob

First Post
Blade Saint

Option (b) made more sense to me. So I gave him a much lower damage bonus (a 20th level monk gets 2d10 for his strikes, whereas my class only has +5 for my option. But to compensate, I gave him pluses to his attack roll.

I got ya. Just don't compensate by giving him +5 to his attack rolls. Compensation not needed.
Just enchant your sword to +5. Then he gets +5/+10. His damage is now similar to the monks 2d10 (both average 10 damage). And, you walk away with a nice +5 to attack rolls that a monk doesn't usually get from any other feature.

Other than that... I'd say you just made yourself a very badass class! I can't wait to see it in action. Kapow! ...dead. ;););)

Last edited:

Deskjob

First Post
to Walking Dad

Dude, I love your monk idea. Take Monk. Change his weapon set. And BANG! ...you got yourself one-awesome-Spartan.

You should totally switch his high Will saves for High BAB progression & switch his high Reflex saves for Shield-Spear use. And, I mean, hey... What Spartan really needs "Tongue of sun/moon" anyways, right? Just let your spear do the talkin'.

"See, I brought more soldiers than you did." -Leonidas

wysiwyg

First Post
Last straw: monk as base. Only 'monk weapons' spear, shield, slashing shortsword (stats like cutlass), unarmed. All weapons used by a monk do monk unarmed damage (only type (bludgeoning, piercing, slashing...) changes). AC feature allows for med load and shields, but looses static bonus for monk levels. Close to the base class enough?

I'm OK if you want to apply the monk's damage to a weapon. However I think you should choose but one weapon to apply this damage to as the monk only has Unarmed strike as special damage. You can use the other weapons on your list as normal (ie without any adjustments). Also, you should no longer have unarmed strike as special monk damage.

Also, maybe choose a weapon that normally deals 1d6 (the cutlass or the short spear is fine). It would be hard to explain why a master of this weapon does less damage with it than a normal warrior otherwise (for the first few levels).

I don't understand what you mean by "AC feature allows for med load and shields, but looses static bonus for monk levels." Can you please explain (via example).

Otherwise, I think it's perfectly balanced:cool:. What do you think Holyman?

BTW, read my previous post and tell me what you think.

wysiwyg

First Post
Ouch! Spelling hurts! Ouch! (I hate being the red-penned teacher)

Name: Linky (Linky? What kind of name is Linky? Is he someone's dog?:eek:)
User: josh
Class: Fighter
Level: 1
Race: Human
Alignment: CN
Deity: Kord
Size: 6ft
Weight: 120 (that's kg right? It's about 250lb for the Americans)
Eye: Light Blue
Hair: Brown
Skin: White

Stats:
Str: 16 (+3) (10 points)
Dex: 14 (+2) (6 points)
Con: 16 (+3) (10 points)
Int: 13 (+1) (5 points)
Wis: 13 (+1) (5 points)
Cha: 11 (+0) (3 points)
(too many development points. You have only 35. You created a PC with 39)

HP: 16
AC: 19 (Touch: 12, Flat Footed: 17)

Initiative: +2

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +5
Reflex: +2
Will: +1

Base Attack Bonus: +1
Grapple: +4

Skills:
Climb (4)
Concentration (4)
Craft - Sword (2)
Gather Information (3)
Handle Animal (1)
Intimidate (1)
Jump (4)
Listen (2)
Ride (3)
Search (4)
Spot (2)
Swim (4)
Can you show as the following example: Climb +6 [3 Ranks, Str +3, Misc +0]
You should have the following number of points at 1st level: 2(fighter) +1(human) + 1(int) +2(house rule) = 6x4 = 24 points
6 skill points to allocate thereafter.

Feats:
Toughness
Power Attack
Cleave
Investigator

Languages:
Common
Elvin
Gnomish (one too many. Your intelligence bonus is +1)

Items:
Back Pack
Bed roll
50 ft. rope
Water skin
4 day trail ration
x2 torch
x1 cure light potion (I doubt this will be affordable)

Armor & Shield:
Breast Plate (You don't have enough money for a breast plate - 200gp)
Large Steel Shield

Weapons:
Long Sword +4 (1d8+3, 19-20/x2)

Money
gp: 150 (not any more)

PS: Can you add something about his background & appearance.

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
just in

just got off work will be going over everythinbg and helping were I can I am so glad i 'm off tommorrow I will be ready to go wed!!

Remove ads