Off To War... Recriutment/Discussion

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Oh This is to easy just lose heavy armor prof you dont need it now you can get it back if you take a level of fighter limiting your paladin powers (fair) or taking it with a feat choice later also fair

you said it don't need heavy armor right now

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
1. Was thinking a basic 'farmer's boy' having struck out on his own to help his poor parents& siblings, perhaps one being chronically ill, hence his desperation enough to leave the farm.
2. If I go non-Monastery, what of the Lawful requirement? (Just wondering as that particular restriction never sat well with me. I always thought neutrality was more a monk's thing). If I went this route, he'd most probably have watched circle fights, and practiced the manuevers based on what he saw until he entered them to earn coin.
3. I could do this as well, but I was leaning more towards a younger boy learning these techniques in a desire to quickly acquire wealth... so the non-monastery option seems more fitting.
4. Young man striking out to help his parents and siblings rise from their impoverished state.

let's run the 'farm boy' it's what you want the things about your family are all good remember supply lines for war time your father and uncles maybe working the farms to send food to troops

Lawful- as it deals to monks mainly was for the obeys their tradtions and codes for you it still applies LN would suit you acts by tradition and that means the farm thats been handed down over generations must be saved to be handed down/ order and organization are paramount what can be more orderly than a farm were chaos means nothing getting done

Last edited:

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Will be going to bed in about 1/2 an hour back to work 9am
Back on EnWorld 5pm lol

So...

Rathan start a paladin losing heavy armor for your extra feat
and think on your patron/deity concept

Theroc make a normal monk (although I don't see many farm boys using shuriken) don't forget Perform(mock combat) ;)

Rathan

First Post
This is what I've got so far... again the info on his god his a bit short but it covers what it needs to for now....

[sblock=Jorin Renald]Jorin Renald, Faithful of Draminos the One True God

Male Human Paladin 1
Lawful Good
Representing Rathan

XP: 0
Next Level: 1000

Str 14 +2 (6 Points)
Dex 12 +1 (4 Points)
Con 14 +2 (6 Points)
Int 12 +1 (4 Points)
Wis 13 +1 (5 Points)
Cha 16 +3 (10 Points)

Size: Medium
Age 20
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 175
Skin: Tan
Eyes: Blue
Hair: shoulder Length Brown

Total HP: 12 / 12

Speed: 30

Armor Class: 17 (Base 10, +1 Dex, +4 Armor, +2 Shield)
Touch AC: 11
Flat Footed AC: 16

Initiative Mod: +1 (+1 Dex)
Fortitude Save: +4 (+2 Class, +2 Con)
Reflex Save: +1 (0 Class, +1 Dex)
Will Save: +1 (0 Class, +1 Wis)
Base Attack Bonus: +1
Melee Attack (Longsword): +4 to Hit for 1d8+2 Dmg
Ranged Attack (Light Crossbow): +2 to Hit for 1d8 Dmg
Grapple Check: +3 (+1 Base, +2 Str)

Carrying Compasity:
Light: 58 or less
Medium: 59-116
Heavy: 117-175
Lift over Head: 175
Lift off Ground: 350
Push/Drag: 875

Languages: Common, Orc

Specials: Detect Evil at Will

Skills: (Total = Ranks + Ability Mod + Misc)

Diplomacy (Cha) 8 = 3 +3 +2 [Feat]
Handle Animal (Cha) 4 = 1 +3
Heal (Wis) 3 = 2 +1
Knowledge [Nobility] (Int) 3 = 2 +1
Knowledge [Religion] (Int) 3 = 2 +1
Ride (Dex) 4 = 3 +1
Sense Motive (Wis) 6 = 3 +1 +2 [Feat]
Spot (Wis) 3 = 2 +1
Listen (Wis) 3 = 2 +1

Feats: 3+1
Negotiator: +2 bonus on all Diplomacy checks and Sense Motive checks.
Weapon Focus: Longsword
Power Attack
Cleave

Human Racial Abilities:

-Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
-Human base land speed is 30 feet.
-1 extra feat at 1st level.
-4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
-Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic). See the Speak Language skill.
-Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass human takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Class Features:

Paladin:
-Aura of good,
-detect evil at will
-smite evil 1/day
-given up Heavy Armor Prof. for an extra feat at 1st level
-given up all but Longsword and Lance martial Profs. for two extra class skills (Spot, and Listen)

Jorins Equipment:

Longsword 15 gp
Lance 10 gp
Heavy Wooden Shield 7 gp
Chainshirt 25 gp
Backpack 2 gp
Bedroll 1 sp
Blanket, winter x1 5 sp
Flint and steel 1 gp
Pouch x4 4 gp
Torches x5 5 cp
Waterskins x1 1 gp
Whetstone 2 cp

Money
Platinum: 0
Gold: 8
Silver: 9
Copper: 10

Draminos is a Monotheistic God in his followers eyes. His followers do not recognize or acknowledge other Gods or Goddess' of any other Pantheon. His followers tend to be very fanatic for this reason and see service to him as a form of repent of past sins. His domains are Good, Law, Protection, and Strength.[/sblock]

Last edited:

wysiwyg

First Post
Extra Skill Points

Since we're already creaating a homebrew setting, I'd like to add my 2c -

SKILL POINTS
Giving an extra 2 skill points might be used in a way that you don't neccessarily want it to be used. From what I gather, you want the PC's to actually have a more broad/professional oriented background. Take a look at the article that I have attached( Going Beyond Class Skills: Education Skill System - Taken from Asgard, March 2002).

DEFENSIVE BONUS
You might want to use the rules regarding defensive bonus from UA. This is quite a popular rule that has been adapted by many threads on Enworld (and rightfully so if I may say so myself). Here's the link: Defense Bonus :: d20srd.org

Let me know what you think...

Attachments

• Education Skill System.pdf
    77.3 KB · Views: 89

wysiwyg

First Post
One more thing -
Since this thread is picking up quite a few post in a relatively short period of time, it's becoming very hard to isolate the posts that relate to rules or campaign setting or characters. You might want to create a few more threads for each of the above (and later another thread for the game itself of course).

In the meantime, I'm going to be working on a rogue (plain vanilla). He'll be a bored son of a middle class merchant from that coastal kingdom (can't remember the name right now - need to look it up in the earlier post).

wysiwyg

First Post
Athos d'Mari

Appearance
Athos is a tall, handsome, clean shaven male of about six foot in height and an athletic build. He has short cropped brown hair and steel grey eyes. He is dressed in plain traveller’s clothing and a dark blue cloak around his shoulders. He carries two short blades at his side and several throwing daggers looped between his shoulder and torso on a dagger belt.

General
Race: Human
Classes: Rogue (1st)
Alignement: Chaotic Good

Height: 6”0
Weight: 160lb
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Grey

STR: 12
DEX: 16
CON: 14
INT: 13
WIS: 14
CHA: 12

Defenses & Saves
HP: 8

AC: 15
Touch: 13
Flat Footed: 12

Fort: +2
Reflex: +5
Will: +2

Combat
Initiative: +3

Short Sword (Standard): +3 (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)*
2x Short Swords: +1/+1 (1d6+1, 19-20/x2)*
5x Throwing Daggers: +3 (1d4+1, 19-20/x2, 10’)

* Flanking: +2 attack; +1d6 to damage.

Feats
Stealthy, Weapon Finesse, Two Weapon Fighting Style

Skills
Stealth: Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Disable Device +4, Open Locks +6
Athletic: Balance +6, Climb +4, Jump +4, Tumble +6, Swim +4
Awareness: Listen +5, Spot +5, Search +4
Social: Gather Info. +4, Diplomacy +4, Sense Motive +5
Magical: Use Magical Device +4

Notes: 48 points. Each skill has 3 ranks (progression will be 3 points per 4 levels).

Abilities:
Sneak attack +1d6, Trapfinding

Equipement
On Body: Travellers’ outfit, 2x short swords, 5x throwing Daggers, belt pouch, leather armor

In regular backpack: bedroll, winter blanket, flint & steel, soap, torch, explorer’s outfit, 5x fishhooks , 2x waterskins, thieves tools, hemp rope, crowbar, iron pot, crowbar, soap,

Belt pouch: 32gp, 9sp

Mount: Donkey

Animals
Donkey - carrying the backpack.

Background
News of the coming war was my redemption. I had enough of sorting through accounting journals and trade agreements in order to appease my father, Orlando the renowned silk merchant of Grimstown. I am seventeen darn it! I need to see something of interest lest I die in this overcrowded town full of nothing but pure boredom. I told Silvia my twin sister of my intentions on the night that I slipped out of the family manor and joined the ranks of the enlisted. Even though the army has dragged the ruffians, thugs and scoundrels of society interested in nothing other than loot and pillage, there are still a few who like me, have joined for the thrill of adventure. It is their companionship that I seek. I feel as if every breath that I take has a taste of freedom that I have just recently discovered. It is sweet...oh is it sweet.

*Speaks in this color*

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
I should hopefully have something posted for my variant ranger tonight. The weekend is always a busy time for me, and I see I have a lot of reading to catch up on in this thread.

Rathan

First Post
No game has EVER been hurt by giving the players a bit more on the skills end.... especially if this game is not all about combat and somewhat about role play and figuring things out via various skill rolls.... over time for a human that's 44 extra skill points by level 20.... at most.. that's 2 extra maxed skills at level 20 IF you put all those extra skill points in the same two skills.... not that bad if you ask me.. and if HolyMan wants to make sure we as players are more skills balanced rather than combat heavy... then why not right?

Remove ads