[Goodman/Dancey on 4E] RPGs in the 21st Century - towards another "generational peak"

Corinth

First Post
I should be able to pull out my iPhone at the cafe, get a cup of espresso and a muffin, role a PC/build an encounter and then play it out right there with my pals at the cafe. Do that and D&D lives for another generation. Fail, and it dies with us.

I should be able to pull out my iPhone at the cafe, get a cup of espresso and a muffin, role a PC/build an encounter and then play it out right there with my pals at the cafe. Do that and D&D lives for another generation. Fail, and it dies with us.
Who is "us"? You seem to be making some awful big assumptions about the game's demographics. And about today's youth.

I don't plan on dying for another 60+ years. I also plan on playing the game until the day I die. Are we to worry that this game, which has only been around for 35 years or so, only has another 60 years left?

Denny

First Post
I can see a serious revival of D&D when the Microsoft multi-touch table concept becomes commercially viable (and affordable, much like large screen LCD's have). Here's a technology that brings back person-to-person (in the same room) interactions, board game style but leverages everything that makes videogames so amazing. If WOTC isn't seeing and developing for these kinds of innovations then they are completely missing the ballgame.

Until then, I still say they need a heavier focus on 3-D terrain and perhaps a retroactive step backwards to the core tenants that make the older system so great. They shouldn't shy away from the geek/nerd stereotype associated with D&D either, they should celebrate it, YouTube it and make it part of a renewed marketing strategy. You want to be cool with a younger generation, be just a little self deprecating. Also acknowledge that its the 30-sumpthins that are largely keeping things rolling and play to that as well.

There's a lot they could do to build a renewed sense of hype but it takes money, vision and trust.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases