Adventure: Fire and Ice

Don Incognito

First Post
"You'll protect me? Good! Let's go!"

The monk bolts out the door, and you all see why he was panting so hard; the monk is fast. VERY fast. Keeping up with him as he darts through the various back alleys and byways of Daunton is both difficult and exhausting. Several times, you think that you see some black figures moving swiftly on the rooftops, but you only see them out of the corners of your eyes. Eventually, Brother Hiram runs around a large building. As you struggle to catch up to him, you can hear two voices, Hiram's and someone else's.

"No...no!"

"Yes, Hiram. Yes."

[sblock=READ ME]And we're off! What I need from each of you is an Initiative check and an Athletics check. Initiative for fairly obvious reasons, but Athletics represents how well you kept up with Hiram as he ran. A low Athletics check means that you're lagging behind a bit, and will enter the combat on round 2 rather than round 1.

Once I've got both rolls from each party, those that passed their Athletics check will see what awaits them on the other side of the building, be able to place themselves on the map, and the fight will be on.

Also, since you've all heard the voices on the voices on the other side of the building and felt the general sense of urgency, your weapons are all drawn and your shields are at the ready.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Hadrak jogs with great difficulty, trying to keep up. The tortures that he suffered at the hand of the brotherhood of Eon broke his body and makes running both painful and embarassing. And, frankly, carrying a cask of dwarven ale is just not helping... But at the thought of going on a ship sober, he ignores the pain in his legs and pushes on.

[sblock]
FYI, that torture fluff is used to explain why Hadrak has a str of 8 while being otherwise fairly healthy. His legs were shattered and didn't heal right. Who said you couldn't be a roleplayer and a powergamer at the same time, huh?

1 : Initiative, 2: Atlethics (1d20+1=2, 1d20-2=14)

Great, rolled another 1 for initiative.
[/sblock]

Hadrak notices Skaliss running with him.

-''Hey, Big Blue! You are a sucker for a cry for help too, eh? Good to see a veteran. The metal boys seem fresh off the smithy.''

[sblock=OOC to Skaliss]Initially I wrote 'Big Green'. Instinctively, you think of dragonborn as green. But thankfully I decided to look at your wiki entry. Big Blue is soooo much better! You can reference Aladdin, IBM, the entire planet or just the ocean etc.[/sblock]

Last edited:

ryryguy

First Post
Ingot hurries through the streets as best it can, slowed by its twisted knee. It glances at the dwarf, Hadrak, who has identified himself as a fellow cleric of Vulkar (though in his Imperial manifestation, Hefaystos). Despite his crippled form and heavy load, the dwarf seems to be keeping up with the pace.

Admiring Hadrak's effort, Ingot tries to increase its own pace, only to stumble over a loose cobblestone. Collecting itself, the warforged utters a quick prayer to its deity: "May I prove of good temper in the battle to come... may we all so prove..."

[sblock=Rolls]
Initiative 1d20-1 = 14, Athletics 1d20+3 = 8
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ingot stat block]Ingot- Neuter Warforged Cleric 1
Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 13
AC:16, Fort:14, Reflex:11, Will:16 -- Speed:5
HP:27/27, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:9/9
Initiative -1
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers: Sacred Flame, Righteous Brand, Healing Word (x2), Healing Strike, Avenging Flame, Channel Divinity (Divine Fortune/Turn Undead), Warforged Resolve
[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]
Hooray! First adventure, first combat!

Please keep in mind that I'm a newb at this play by post. Let me know if I'm not doing something right with the rolling or whatever!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
The irony of Dorn spending the first minutes of his first adventure running are not lost on him. It isn't me running away, he thinks. Not this time. He manages quite a burst of speed, determined to be ready for whatever danger lies ahead.

OOC: Initiative 15. Athletics 21. Today's Wild Soul - Thunder.

[sblock=Dorn Stat Block]
Dorn, Half-Orc Sorcerer 1
Passive Perception 9, Passive Insight 9
AC 14, Fort 11, Reflex 14, Will 16 (base defenses)
HP 22/22, Bloodied 11 Surge Value 5, Surges 6/6
Speed 6, Initiative +4
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Wild Soul: Thunder (resist 5, ignore 5 resistance)

Encounter Resources
Bedeviling Burst
Furious Assault
Half-Orc Resilience
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Chromatic Orb
[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
Crag pounds through the streets after the much quicker monk just behind the ... well, Crag wasn't sure exactly what to call the electrically manifesting half-orc, but he was intrigued.

"Brother Hiram! We cannot protect you if we cannot keep up! I understand your urgency, but please, allow our slower members to keep up so that we can..."

And at about that moment, Crag noticed the flitting black figures and saw Hiram disappear around the corner. Hearing the voices spurs him on and he rushes to protect his charge from those that would harm him.

[sblock=OOC]First roll is initiative and the second is athletics. (1d20=5, 1d20+6=20)[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat block:]
Crag, Warforged Warden 1
Passive Perception: 15
Passive Insight: 10
AC 20, Fort 16, Reflex 12, Will 12
HP: 42/42 Bloodied: 21 S.Value: 10 Surges: 14/14
Speed: 6, Initiative +0
Action Points: 1

Current Conditions: None

Powers:
Warden's Fury, Warden's Grasp, Strength of Stone, Thorn Strike
Earth Spikes, Warforged Resolve, Second Wind
Form of the Willow Sentinel
[/sblock]

Last edited:

JRYoung

First Post
Hadrak notices Skaliss running with him.

-''Hey, Big Blue! You are a sucker for a cry for help too, eh? Good to see a veteran. The metal boys seem fresh off the smithy.''

"I am glad to have you with me Hadrak, together we will get to the bottom of thisss" responds Skalisss, running easily despite his heavy armor.

[SBLOCK=OOC]
Yeah, Skalisss' "breed" is custom made inspired by blue dragons and thier lightning breath weapon. The backstory has his people created by the sea god Netari on the shores of Allaria, and so forth. Netari took the form of an Ancient Blue Dragon, and guided them over the ages :)
[/SBLOCK]

Skalisss notices the ambush ahead, as do the others. "It mussst be thisss 'Order' he ssspoke of, we mussst hurry".

[SBLOCK=Mini Stat Block]
Skalisss - Male Dragonborn Paladin 2
Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18
AC:22, Fort:16, Reflex:14, Will:16 -- Speed:5
HP 33/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 9, Surges left 11/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Valiant Strike
Bolstering Strike

Piercing Smite
Paladin's Judgement
Dragon Breath
Lay on Hands x2
Healing Word
Sacred Circle

Divine Challenge
Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle
Channel Divinity: Divine Strength

Healing Surge from Dwarven Plate Armor
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

Don Incognito

First Post
[sblock=OOC]In my infinite generosity, I have decided that your Athletics checks were all high enough to arrive in time for the first round. This fight is going to be interesting enough as it is.[/sblock]
You round the building to see a grisly scene. A bearded, wizardly looking man stands at the end of the docks, his hands alight with arcane power. One hand seems to be on fire, while the other is awash with what looks like liquid ice. He looks rather bored. In front of him are a pair of thuggish-looking men in loose-fitting clothing. One of them has black hair and white clothes, while the other is blond with red clothing. Both look like accomplished martial artists (basically, they are Ryu and Ken from Street Fighter). The two of them seem to be kicking bodies into the water. Bodies dressed similiarly to Brother Hiram. They stand next to a sailing skiff, also the same colors as Hiram's robe.

Most importantly, though, is Brother Hiram, off to the side slowly backing away from a rather imposing young man. The man has slick-back black hair, is dressed in a monk's combat garbs and has his arms crossed across his chest. Hiram seems absolutely terrified of him. "Please," he begs, "have mercy, Rigas! This isn't who you are!"

The young man chuckles. "I'll tell you what, Hiram. I'm going to give you a ten second headstart. You always were quick on your feet."

Hiram begins to stammer an answer, but Rigas begins to count "One, two, three..." and the blood drains from his face. Hiram turns and bolts while Rigas lets out a hearty laugh. He then turns to look at the party for the first time. He cocks an eyebrow, then puts two fingers in his mouth and whistles. Immediatly, four shadowy forms jump down from the rooftops and land on the docks. Rigas then turns to the bearded mage and says, "Kabuto, I trust you can take care of the witnesses while I go amuse myself."

The bearded mage, Kabuto, nods and raises his hands into the air. A pair of elementals, each a ball-shaped floating creature composed of either fire or ice, appear, blocking the party's path.

MAP

INITATIVE:
Ninja B7: 23
Ninja L6: 22
Kabuto: 20
Nerdytender: 15
Ninja M7: 15
Ryryguy: 14
Ryu and Ken: 14
Skalisss: 13
Rigas: 7
Fire: 5
Ninja C6: 5
Kalidrev: 5
Ice: 4
Mal Malenkirk: 2

[sblock=Re: The Map]Please place yourself on the map so that we may begin. Your choices are E10, E11, E12, J10, J11, J12. This will be a rather cramped battle, so choose wisely! Also, look at the little sprites! Aren't they cute? I've a special one for each of you, too. You'll find out what they are after ya'll are placed.[/sblock]

Kalidrev

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I'll gladly take E10 so that I'm in front of two others and the closest to the Fire Sprite. I know this is major metagaming, but I would suggest having E/J 10 be the defenders, followed by the leaders on E/J 11, followed by Dorn on E12 or J12. This way the sorc is in the back, the leaders can assist/heal either the defender or help Dorn, and the defenders can take "agro". Of course, if you have another idea, I'm fully open to it and you guys can just place yourselves and we'll roll with it ^_^ This doesn't look like it's going to be an easy fight...[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Very cute sprites. ;)

A few questions about the map. I take it the blue squares are water, presumably deep water. What are the grey squares along the lower edge? Is it possible to move there?

Rigas is the guy at N9? And Hiram has left the area, not on the map?

As far as positioning goes, I suppose we want the two defenders up front... I think Ingot should go at J11. It has a daily that does fire damage, maybe should be used on the ice ball, though that might be overkill...

[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases