Adventure: Fire and Ice

Don Incognito

First Post
[sblock=OOC]If that's the case, here's your new map, complete with sprites for Crag (Worker 8 from Final Fantasy Tactics) and Skalisss (a re-colored Lizardman from Lufia 2 with a sword. Isn't he cute?).

These sprites are the next best thing to whipping out cool-looking minis.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I'll gladly take E10 so that I'm in front of two others and the closest to the Fire Sprite. I know this is major metagaming, but I would suggest having E/J 10 be the defenders, followed by the leaders on E/J 11, followed by Dorn on E12 or J12. This way the sorc is in the back, the leaders can assist/heal either the defender or help Dorn, and the defenders can take "agro". [/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]I don't think it's metagaming, the characters would know it makes sense to put the heavy armor types up front. :)

Can I make an Arcana(?) check to try to size up the elementals? (During my turn I assume... what kind of action?)
[/sblock]

Don Incognito

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Monster Knowledge checks, like most knowledge checks, are free actions. You make the roll on your turn, and you either know it or you don't. You can't try again.

Also, while you're here, mark yourself on the map. :p[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=OOC]

Don, I did post a position plus a few questions... I will repost it:

A few questions about the map. I take it the blue squares are water, presumably deep water. What are the grey squares along the lower edge? Is it possible to move there?

By process of elimination I guess Rigas is the guy at N9? (And Hiram has left the area, not on the map, correct?)

I think Ingot should go at J11. It's daily does fire damage, maybe should be used on the ice ball, though that might be overkill...[/sblock]

JRYoung

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Skalisss is perfectly happy at J10, thank you Don. And great sprite! [/SBLOCK]

[SBLOCK=Mini Stat Block]
Skalisss - Male Dragonborn Paladin 2
Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18
AC:22, Fort:16, Reflex:14, Will:16 -- Speed:5
HP 33/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 9, Surges left 11/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Valiant Strike
Bolstering Strike

Piercing Smite
Paladin's Judgement
Dragon Breath
Lay on Hands x2
Healing Word
Sacred Circle

Divine Challenge
Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle
Channel Divinity: Divine Strength

Healing Surge from Dwarven Plate Armor
[/SBLOCK]

Don Incognito

First Post
[sblock=OOC]The last map placements are fairly intuitive, so I've filled them in for you. Dorn is the fellow in the red hat (he looks fairly half-orcish, doesn't he?), Ingot is the Warforged coin, and Hadrak is that stylish dwarf.

Blue is water. Many of you are either wearing or made of heavy metals, so you don't float.

Gray is a building. You can't move through the gray, because you can't move through buildings.

Also, I probably should have mentioned this sooner. Please post a STAT BLOCK at the end of every post, so I don't have to comb through the wiki to find out what your character's reflex defense is. Feel free to use the statblock for Lorik (provided below) as a template. Simply quote this post, delete everything but the stat block, fill in your own information, then copy that and paste it somewhere (I keep mine on my character page on the wiki).
[sblock=Lorik stat block]Lorik- Male Half-elf Fighter 1
Passive Perception: 12, Passive Insight: 14
AC:18, Fort:15, Reflex:13, Will:12 -- Speed:5
HP:29/29, Bloodied:14, Surge Value:7, Surges left:11/11
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers
Footwork Lure, Reaping Strike, Passing Attack, Righteous Brand, Tempest Dance
Group Diplomacy: Allies within 10 squares gain a +1 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.
Group Assault: Allies gain a +1 damage bonus to enemies marked by Lorik.

[/sblock][/sblock]
ENCOUNTER 1: Ninjas!

At Rigas' command, the ninjas spring into action, jumping back before loosing a shuriken at a shielded adventurer (Crag and Skalisss, respectively). Skalisss is able to raise his defenses in time, and the shuriken buries itself in his shield. Crag is not so lucky, and the shuriken hits him right between the eyes...before bouncing off harmlessly. It seems that the ninjas are not used to fighting warforged (the ninjas move to C5 and L5, and they use shuriken attacks against Skalisss and Crag. Both attacks miss).

Scowling at the failure of the ninjas, Kabuto steps a step to the left and joins both of his hands together in front of him. A bolt of frostfire is sent flying towards Skalisss. The dragonborn shifts his stance, trying to deflect the bolt with his shield. The bolt is ricochets off his shield and leaves a smoking hole in the wall of the building next to you (Kabuto shifts to H4 and uses Frostfire bolt against Skalisss. which misses).

Map

INITATIVE:
Ninja C5: 23
Ninja L5: 22
Kabuto: 20
Nerdytender: 15<<Your Turn!
Ninja M7: 15
Ryryguy: 14
Ryu and Ken: 14
Skalisss : 13
Fire: 5
Ninja C6: 5
Kalidrev: 5
Ice: 4
Mal Malenkirk: 2

[sblock=Nerdytender]From your vantage point, you can currently see only the ninja at L5 and Kabuto. As for Rigas, the elemental and Ryu, you know that they are there, but they are not in your line of sight.[/sblock]

Last edited:

nerdytenor

First Post
Dorn can't see very much of what the party is up against, but given that this is his first real battle, the heavily-armored allies blocking his way suit him just fine.

"Time to FEEL the THUNDA!" he shouts, his voice unnaturally amplified and deep from his current elemental affinity. Somewhat intimidated by Kabuto, he takes aim at the ninja instead. He raises his hands, and a blast of energy flies in the general direction of the shadowy figure (Chaos bolt hits ninja Will 15 before penalties for 15 psychic damage).

[sblock=note on my nickname]
It is nerdytenor, as in singing, not nerdytender, as in choo-choos, although my 2-year-old train-obsessed son would enjoy that name, no doubt. :)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dorn Stat Block]
Dorn, Half-Orc Sorcerer 1
Passive Perception 9, Passive Insight 9
AC 14, Fort 11, Reflex 14, Will 16 (base defenses)
HP 22/22, Bloodied 11 Surge Value 5, Surges 6/6
Speed 6, Initiative +4
Action Points: 1

Current Effects
Wild Soul: Thunder (resist 5, ignore 5 resistance)

Encounter Resources
Bedeviling Burst
Furious Assault
Half-Orc Resilience
Second Wind
Use Action Point

Daily Resources
Chromatic Orb
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=OOC]I'm not sure what the etiquette is for waiting for your turn to come up, or posting a turn pre-emptively... but in this case, the result of a Monster Knowledge check may influence the rest of the turn, so I thought I'd do the roll now... hope this is ok.
Arcana check: 13
[/sblock]

Don Incognito

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Oops, made an itiative boo-boo. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.[/sblock]
[sblock=Arcana Check for Ingot]The elementals are known as "guarders". They are small, mindless beasts that are mostly summoned for protection.[/sblock]

The ninja tries to claw out his eyes in frustration to quell the voices in his head. The ninja falls lifeless to the ground. Another ninja makes a flying leap across a body of water and begins to advance toward the party (L5 dies, M7 moves to H8).

Map

INITATIVE:
Ninja C5: 23
Ninja L5: 22
Kabuto: 20
Nerdytender: 15
Ninja H8: 15
Ryryguy: 14<<Your Turn!
Ryu and Ken: 14
Skalisss : 13
Fire: 5
Ninja C6: 5