Proposal: Arcane Power

garyh

First Post
As far as being Striker-heavy, so are the available classes. 3 out of 8 classes in the PHB1, and 3/8 of the PHB2, 6/17 overall (6/18 if you include the artificer). The classes could be totally equally represented in L4W and we'd still be striker-heavy.

My second character is likely to be a controller (druid, maybe elf, dwarf, warforged, or human) or a controller-y striker (dragonborn cosmic sorcerer, servant of of the Celestial Dragon - an interpretation of Joven, likely - from the Empire of Jade, all blast/burst powers).

ryryguy

First Post
LS, your chart of races and classes is interesting.

I was thinking that it would be cool if people added wiki category tags to their character sheets for race, class, and background/area of origin. Then you could easily figure out the number of wizards, or the number of PC's from the Valley of Bone, by just looking up the category.

I guess it's probably too late for that now... We could start adding them as we go forward, but maybe it's not worth it.

Hmmm... maybe it would be a good proposal for the 4e Eberron, since characters aren't made there yet...

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
At which date exactly this book will be avalaible.

I know an unapproved character can enter a game, but need to be approved to gain XP. I have a character that take 2 powers from that book that would like to join a game. So that start to be touchy matter and if I knew the official date, that could help to see if I could use it (after all, if I don't use any power until the date, might be fine if the DM is willing).

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Ok, this is coming close to the time we can vote on it, and I'd still like answers on 3 things. All of them are ambiguous so this is a matter of of making our own clear rules, I think.

1. Does forced movement into a power effect trigger it, or not? Do you get a saving throw to avoid this like you do with hazardous terrain?
1a. If we rule that it DOES trigger it, what rule are we going to add to prevent infinite loops using Grease or Planar Gateway?
1b. Related to that, CustServ has stated that "entering" includes forced movement, and "moving" doesn't. This makes no sense whatsoever. We're ignoring that, right?

2. There have been some changes to the Illusion powers we've already approved. Are we going to replace the Dragon versions with the AP versions? If so, does anybody object to any of the changes?

Here are the changes Arcane Power (w/errata) makes to the illusion powers from Dragon 364. I've bolded all the nerfs that I consider significant (even if not VERY significant), as opposed to clarifications:

Grasping Shadows: now has the "Zone" keyword

Phantasmal Terrain: now has the "Implement" keyword; increased movement cost for difficult terrain applies to everyone, not just enemies

Spectral Hound: no longer has the "Implement" keyword; must start in an unoccupied square; gives a +1 power bonus to "all defenses" instead of "AC and all defenses" (I think that's the same thing, right?); sustain is reworded to be much clearer

Enemies Abound: "you and your allies treat the target as an ally for the purposes of flanking" instead of "you and your allies can treat the target as an ally..." (I don't think there's any situation where you would choose not to treat someone as an ally for flanking, is there?)

Illusory Wall: can make an attack only when moves adjacent to the wall, not when it starts its turn adjacent; the attack result only effects the enemy for its current turn (used to be "save ends")

3. How the hell does Illusory Wall work (either version)?

Suppose there's a wall between square A and square B, and I plan the following actions:

Turn 1: move to square A, attempt to move to square B (assume I fail)
Turn 2...N: attempt to move to square B again (keep trying until I succeed)
Turn N+1: go do things on another part of the battlefield
Turn N+2: move to square B, attempt to move to square A

In the old version:

Turn 1: The caster gets an attack as I move adjacent to the wall. If it succeeds, I can't cross the wall until I make a saving throw. Assume it succeeds, so I can't move to B yet. I get a save at the end of my turn.
Turn 2...N: The caster gets another attack as I start my turn adjacent to the wall. SIX cases:
(1) I passed my save last turn, caster chose not to attack: I can cross the wall but I am still affected
(2) I passed my save last turn, caster attacked and hit: I need to keep saving
(3) I passed my save last turn, caster attacked and missed: I can cross the wall and am no longer affected
(4) I failed my save last turn, caster chose not to attack: I need to keep saving
(5) I failed my save last turn, caster attacked and hit: I need to keep saving (I believe multiple successful attacks don't stack here)
(6) I failed my save last turn, caster attacked and missed: I can cross the wall and am no longer affected
Turn N+2: Return to square B: if I crossed the wall due to case (1), the caster gets a new attack as on turn 1. If I crossed the wall due to case (3) or (6), I can cross immediately

In the new version:

Turn 1: The caster gets an attack as I move adjacent to the wall. If it succeeds, I can't cross the wall this turn. Assume it succeeds, so I can't cross to B yet.
Turn 2...N: The caster does not get an attack, since I didn't move adjacent this turn. Since I wasn't attacked, I can automatically cross to B immediately.
Turn N+2: Return to square B; the caster gets a new attack as on turn 1 since he hasn't missed with an attack yet.

That's way less complicated, but also MUCH weaker - it only delays me by 1 turn at most! And also makes no sense - I can push through the wall without breaking the illusion completely?

A good variant might be the Arcane Power version, but change "Whenever an enemy moves adjacent to the wall" to "Whenever an enemy moves adjacent to or starts its turn adjacent to the wall". That way I'd have no obvious way to move through the wall until the caster fails an attack, which makes me immune to it until the end of the encounter. (Although I could get through the wall by having an ally slide me on his turn, or something similar.)

Here are the answers I'd give, right now:

1. Yes, and yes.
1a. Add a rule saying that if you start inside an effect's area, leaving and reentering the area does not count as "entering" or "moving into".
1b. Yes, CustServ was obviously off it's gourd when they said this. "Entering" and "moving into" mean the same thing.

2. Just replace the Dragon versions with the AP versions. Anyone who dislikes the new version will have two weeks to retrain (for free) after AP is approved.

3. Use the amendment I suggested in the quote.

EDIT: oh, about Grease. This power has a problem that there are many cases where you'd prefer to slide an opponent 2 squares rather than knocking them prone (for instance, if it's cast in a 5 foot wide corridor: if knocked prone, the attacker can just stand up and continue, since you only get an attack when they enter the zone; on a miss you can slide them back out and force them to be attacked again next time they enter.) So there are times when missing is better than hitting. I think a hit should slide 2 squares AND knock prone, while a miss just slides. Except this makes it impossible to move through the grease in the above setup, so it should be explicit that crawling through it has less effect. So, here's my suggested change:

Hit: If the target is crawling, slide it 1 square. Otherwise, you knock it prone and slide it 2 squares.
Miss: If the target is crawling, no effect. Otherwise, you slide it 2 squares.

Last edited:

elecgraystone

First Post
1. Does forced movement into a power effect trigger it, or not? Do you get a saving throw to avoid this like you do with hazardous terrain?
Yes, forces movement does. No, it's not a terrain and only terrain allows a save.

1a. If we rule that it DOES trigger it, what rule are we going to add to prevent infinite loops using Grease or Planar Gateway?
Why? People can send people though a cloud of daggers several time now. I can't see an infinite loop with grease and I'm not sure where the other is from.

1b. Related to that, CustServ has stated that "entering" includes forced movement, and "moving" doesn't. This makes no sense whatsoever. We're ignoring that, right?
Correct. That means that forced movement doesn't trigger Dire radiance since they didn't move closer; they were moved closed which is different.

A zone is a zone. Intent isn't needed.

2. There have been some changes to the Illusion powers we've already approved. Are we going to replace the Dragon versions with the AP versions? If so, does anybody object to any of the changes?
Most were changed back to the dragon version in the errata.

3. How the hell does Illusory Wall work (either version)?
Target moves into square adjacent to wall. You make an attack. You hit, the wall is still there. Miss, no more wall for him.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Why? People can send people though a cloud of daggers several time now. I can't see an infinite loop with grease and I'm not sure where the other is from.

Ok, technically Grease isn't an infinite loop - Grease is an auto-hit. If you miss with it, you slide 2 squares, so you just slide them out of the zone and back in, and then you get another attack. If you miss again, repeat until you hit.

Planar Gateway is a power of the Bonded Summoner class. It's not a zone, it's in a single square. When a creature enters a square adjacent to it, you get a free attack that does damage and slides the target. So as long as you keep hitting, you can keep sliding it to different adjacent squares and trigger the attack again. (Ok, so technically still not an infinite loop - it only keeps going as long as you hit.)

Most were changed back to the dragon version in the errata.

No they weren't, I listed the differences that remain in my post.

Target moves into square adjacent to wall. You make an attack. You hit, the wall is still there. Miss, no more wall for him.

...and then what happens on the target's next turn? Can he move through the wall or not? It says, "it can try again on later turns," but the only thing that gives an attack is moving adjacent to the wall.

elecgraystone

First Post
Ok, technically Grease isn't an infinite loop - Grease is an auto-hit.
If it's an issue make it 'slide 2 within the zone.'

Planar Gateway is a power of the Bonded Summoner class.
Change slide into push away from the gateway square.

No they weren't, I listed the differences that remain in my post.
Ok, let me look...

Grasping Shadows, Phantasmal Terrain and Enemies Abound I don't see an issue with the new powers.

Spectral Hound doesn't have implement because it isn't an attack. A better question is why summon iron cohort still has implement.

...and then what happens on the target's next turn? Can he move through the wall or not? It says, "it can try again on later turns," but the only thing that gives an attack is moving adjacent to the wall.
He has to be missed by the wall to get through it. Now if he gets adjacent to a new square of the wall or he stops being adjacent then goes back, he gets attacked again.

If you wish to add a try again option, make it 'when an enemy move or starts adjacent to the wall'.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
If it's an issue make it 'slide 2 within the zone.'

Change slide into push away from the gateway square.

Hmm. On the one hand, I like the flavour of these changes. On the other, they're less powerful than the originals. Another option is to attack the specific problem: add a clause saying the slide "does not trigger this attack again".

On the gripping hand, the fix I suggested would also catch any similar powers that we didn't notice. (But maybe with too many undesired side effects...) Maybe what I just suggested above can be made general: we make a rule that forced movement caused by an attack cannot trigger the same type of attack from the same source again.

Spectral Hound doesn't have implement because it isn't an attack. A better question is why summon iron cohort still has implement.

Heh, good point. I guess that keyword is just completely immaterial for those powers.

He has to be missed by the wall to get through it. Now if he gets adjacent to a new square of the wall or he stops being adjacent then goes back, he gets attacked again.

Ah, that makes sense - you can't get through the wall here so you have to try at a different spot, or at least move away and look at it from a different angle to spot the illusion.

Note, however, that's not what the power says - it explicitly says the enemy "cannot move through the wall on its current turn", and as that's the only thing in the power that says you cannot move through the wall, as written when your turn ends you're free to move through it.

If you wish to add a try again option, make it 'when an enemy move or starts adjacent to the wall'.

That's exactly what I suggested!

However, now that you've explained it I think your version above is what the designers intended. But to actually work that way, the power needs to be amended by changing "on its current turn, but it can try again on later turns" to "until it is attacked again and missed".

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Implements may have an effect on the summoning (there a few implements in the Eberron Player's Guide that do), so the use of the keyword is still important. Not sure why it was removed from the other.

Remove ads