The Peanut Gallery

evilbob

Explorer
Anyways, I've learned that tons and tons of dazing effects aren't fun for any of us...
This is completely random and pretty much unrelated, but I just had to share: several years ago I was running a high-mid level 3.5 campaign and I had planned a huge encounter with mindflayers. Iconic as hell D&D villains, right? Totally awesome idea, right? I hinted at it all over the place for weeks, maybe months (because seriously, those guys are walking TPKs) and finally we came to the huge, dramatic battle - hours and hours of planning on my part for this great D&D moment!

Well, it sucked. In fact, it worse than sucked: it was boring. I don't know if anyone's ever fought these guys, but here's how they work: they stun the living crap out of you. Then, they kill you. There's no "fight" per se; you go from full to dead in a few failed grapple checks. Except of course everyone knows this, so they do everything they can to avoid being killed instantly - but mostly, everyone just gets stunned. So you end up with round after round of "oh, is it my turn again? I'm still unable to act, right? Yeah I'll go back to not paying attention then." It was easily the worst battle in the campaign, and it was supposed to be one of the coolest.

Of course, I'm not even going into the multi-hour (no joke) buffing session that happened right before the battle that already had everyone bored and frustrated from having to completely recalculate all their stats and spell slots and ... well anyway, high-level 3.5 sucked. :) But more important than that, I learned that massive battles where all the players are stunned repeatedly is never fun for anyone. Just like renau1g said.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Hey, look at that; I got the last two quotes with two different character! And none of them are talking in a wacky dialects!

;)

I felt in verve for my new PC Charina. I'm happy some people got a chuckle out of it. I hope the player of the gnome PC didn't take it personnally!

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Speaking of whacky gnomes...
Tristan just rolls his eyes at Woe's remarks about Mikara, though a smile does find its way onto his face. [sblock=OOC]Whee, level 3! And halfway to level 4, too.

About camping - Tristan would feel more comfortable with some trees or other shelter around, but posting a sign over a dragon corpse that says we killed it should be a pretty effective countermeasure ;) Especially since it's an open field and daytime, so it would be visible for some distance. I figure Kathalia would probably kill to take watch with Hacker, so Tristan will take the high-perception middle watch spot.

About trophies - I think Tristan will take a tooth to put on a necklace, as well as a couple talons. Oh heck, and another tooth to make into a dagger >.>

Also, I think we should decapitate the dragon and bring the head. Throwing dragon heads around is fun :) May not have quite the same effect with horns and teeth removed, but I'm sure we can find a good taxidermist in Daunton who can make prosthetics ;)[/sblock]

Hacker, up to his elbows in blood, pauses in the midst of removing the dragon's brain. "Wait. You wanted to keep the head?"

Hacker looks down at the sawed open skull, with its empty eye-sockets. Its cheeks have been tossed in a pot to make stew. All usable skin has been flayed for later tanning. Massive chunks have been shattered from the bone to make the teeth easier to remove.

"Uh..."

[sblock=OOC]

Perhaps there is a really, really, really ,really good taxidermist in town ;)

[/sblock]

I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes. Kudos Ken!

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Hadrak salutes the crowd, shake hands, pat kids on the head and having a jolly good time.

-''Wait, what? Waves of darkness?'' he says, startled out of his crowd bath by Incarnation's claims. ''Fate turns against you, you say? The bitch!'' he jests. ''But for a mere mortal like me, trying as best as he can to decipher the will of his god, how would that translate? Does that mean you got mystic assassins on your ass who wants to melt you up into a hundred of collectible miniatures of demons lords? I sure have your back for something like that. Oh! Or for a beer drinking contest. Please say you have been challenged by fate to a beer drinking contest at a stout ale festival called 'The Waves of Delicious Darkness''!That would be awesome.''

Don't you just hate it when you can't give someone forum experience? I thought this was great.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases