Book of Distant Stars - a monster manual by Mesh Hong

Mesh Hong

First Post
Following on from my last Monster Manual (Book of the Dead) I have created the next in my series:

Book of Distant Stars – part 1 heroic tier
A monster manual from the Far Realms by Mesh Hong

The 80 page book contains 64 new aberrant creatures ranging from levels 2 to 12 and is split into 2 sections; general and themed. All the creatures have their own full stat block and a short description.

I have also included a section introducing mechanics for adding psychological conditions and mental disorders to your game and provided examples.

List of general creatures:
Bep’nar Mite
Brutal Tusk Hound
Bulbous Lasher
Burning Ice Horror
Crimson Haze
Cryo Glider
Dreamtree Psychic
Dustworn Nomad
Far Touched Vermin
Feeding Fingers
Fire Polyp
Floating Shrieker
Graknik Brain Eater
Green Mist Spider
Highplane Thrasher
Infected Squatter
Jibber Jab
Kelfirn Pelter
Kelfirm Stonehammer
Kelfirn Stonewalker
Lightning Polyp
Metallic Ooze
Nrel’gorn Savage
Shat’mar Crytalline
Silvertail Infinpede
Star Swarm
Swarm of Lies
Temporal Polyp
Wasteland Absolutionist
Whip Tongue

List of themed creatures:
Arri-Vastril Drone
Arri-Vastril Drone (experienced)
Arri-Vastril Drone (veteran)
Arri-Vastril Defender
Arri-Vastril Radiant Arc
Arri-Vastril Juggernaught
Arri-Vastril Prophet
Arri-Vastril Saviour
Mudman Sludge Fighter
Mudman Sludge Thrower
Mudman Earthshaker
Mudman Crystal Caster
Pugee Warrior
Pugee Chanter
Pugee Darkshell
Pugee Hardshell
Pugee Frostback
Pugee Cragback
Pugee Doom Wrecker
Sorn Scum
Wretched Sorn
Blood Soaked Sorn
Sorn Crossbow Abomination
Winged Sorn
Sorn Overlord Abomination
Warp Fragment
Warp Swarm
Warp Guardian
Warp Cultist
Warp Cult Fanatic
Warp Feeder
Warp Elemental
Warp Master
Warpblade Cult Leader

Like usual I would welcome any feedback.

Thanks

Attachments

• Book of Distant Stars - Mesh Hong.pdf
    796.1 KB · Views: 836

Rechan

Adventurer
Sweet. I have been looking forward to this.

General question: why is the Mudman an aberration, and not say, an elemental being?

Mesh Hong

First Post
Thanks Rechan.

Now to answer your question....
[looks around for a handy exit]...maybe because it is a native of the Far Realms and is therefore considerred an aberrant for monster knowledge checks etc rather than an elemental?.....is that enough, no? well it is a bit poor I suppose......[looks sheepish]....er just because its skin oozes does not make it an ooze itself, therefore it can plausably be an aberration...[legs it and doesn't look back]

eriktheguy

First Post
Ooh, great. Swarm of Lies is the best name for a creature I have ever seen. Where are Cthulhu and Azathoth?
EDIT: link in your sig to book of distant stars is broken (the undead one works fine).

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
Then perhaps it is mud animated with a sinister intelligence. Sort of a byproduct of certain aberrations on the very soil around them - causing them to spontaneously animate and worship the Elder Evils. Tieing it back to the ToEE/Tharidzun.

Mesh Hong

First Post
Where are Cthulhu and Azathoth?

As much as I love the Great Old Ones (Cthulthu Phtagn :eek:) I have no plans to convert any mythos creatures directly. (actually I think someone already has if not on this forum it must have been the official one)

Last edited:

Neubert

First Post
That was fast! :confused:
Looks nice as always Mesh Hong.
Are you planning to continue your success? And if so, what will be the next theme?

Mesh Hong

First Post
I am not sure what I should turn to next.

I am open to any suggestions from people as to creature themes or general areas that need expanding.

I considered doing a monster manual for the Fey Wild for a while and might start on that as it is not really a part of my own campaign at the moment.

I have also tentatively started on "The Book of Serious Threats", which will consist of solo creatures and themed adversaries. My reasoning is that there arn't that many solo creatures in the official monster manuals and most of the ones presented (especially in MM1) are a little underwhelming.

I have also very briefly toyed with the idea of releasing the encounters and creatures from my ongoing campaign, but I don't think I will bother. There is probably no way I could explain the plot in any way that would make enough sense for anyone to run it.

I might try and put together a few short side quests, plot ideas and situations though. the Book of Adventure maybe? or the Book of Distractions?

Hmm, I will see how the mood takes me, unless someone comes up with a good idea.

Rechan

Adventurer
I considered doing a monster manual for the Fey Wild for a while and might start on that as it is not really a part of my own campaign at the moment.
I would be interested in this.

I have also tentatively started on "The Book of Serious Threats", which will consist of solo creatures and themed adversaries.
I would be interested in this. I like your "phase" based solos. :)

I might try and put together a few short side quests, plot ideas and situations though. the Book of Adventure maybe? or the Book of Distractions?
I would be interested in this. There are a few books out called "En Route" which are basically one or two encounters/side quests you can have while on the road/on a journey. Non-combat situations, etc. There's another series called "Foul Locales", which are just set pieces within areas - like a well where a fey trickster lives, and when people make wishes, he comes out and makes it happen in an unfortunate manner. I'd like to see a book of this.

One thing I've been wanting for a long time is a book of encounter areas or fantastic terrain like in the DMG. Interesting features of the area, or flavorful themed terrain/room that you can drag and drop. (Like a clockwork room with the info on the mechanics of the room itself).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases