Hexographer free hex mapping software updated, pro version ready

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
Sample portion of a map created using Hexographer:
ansalon-crop.png

Several new features and bug fixes have been added to the core Hexographer software:
  • The random terrain generator has been significantly reworked so the resulting terrain is less random.
  • The random terrain generator process is explained by clicking "Help" once you've opened the custom random terrain settigns screen by clicking the "Custom Terrain" button on the start screen of the applet.
  • A number of small usability fixes have been made, such as some customization screens getting close, apply, and save buttons.

And the "Pro" version can now be ordered. For just $5 for a 1-year license of $25 for a lifetime license, the pro version allows you to:
  • Run off-line: The pro version is downloaded to your computer so you don't need to be connected to the internet.
  • Customize terrain and feature icons: Use any .png image for the terrain and feature icons. (Go to the map edit window's "Options" menu and choose "Customize Hexes.") Both the pro and non-pro versions allow you to change the background color of each terrain type, the sizes of terrain or feature icons, or whether to display icons or not.
  • Expand an existing map: Add (or subtract) a number of hex rows or columns above, below, to the right or to the left of an existing map. (Go to the map edit window's "Options" menu and choose "Expand/Shrink Number of Hexes.")
  • Add detailed notes to a hex: Any hex can now be described in detail with a freeform text field. Adding a note to a hex adds a small rectangular marker to the map. Clicking it will pop open the note for further editing or just to read it. (The note markers can be turned off using the map edit window's "Show/Hide" menu and selecting/deselecting the "Notes on Map" menu item.)

Pro version maps can be read and edited by the free version of Hexographer, but the extra features are not available for further editing. (However, custom icons added using the pro version will be displayed by the free version.)

Read more about Hexographer, use the free version and see pro version ordering details at: Hexographer: Overview » Inkwell Ideas

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
A few new updates were posted this evening:
-Text can now be rotated.
-A couple of minor bugs were fixed.

I'm working on another major feature, but it isn't ready yet so that's why these updates are minor. (I hope the other feature will work out, but I'm not sure yet.)

Also, I'm trying out a new website for the project, which is another reason there aren't too many new features/bug fixes. The new address is:
www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/hexographer/

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
A couple of new versions have been released since I last posted about Hexographer. Here's a list of what's new:
*You can now add dashed and dotted lines. (To change styled lines, go to the "Options" menu and select "Customize Line/Text Settings." Next to each line, there is a new drop down to switch between solid, dashed, and dotted lines. For custom lines, on the "Custom Lines" tab, you'll see a similar solid/dashed/dotted line drop down.) Note: dashed and dotted lines work best if your are clicking from point to point to draw your line. Dragging adds many points with many sub-lines and while the lines are dashed or dotted if you chose that, your line is made up of many sub-lines and it may be hard to make out the dashes and dots.
*You can also now draw shipping routes and elevation lines. (These are new styled line settings.)
*Three new symbols: Port (which looks like an anchor, as requested), Cathedral, and Oasis
*The pro version now let's you add custom terrain and features. (Previously you had to change the color, icon and other settings of existing terrain or features. By the way, all of that prior functionality except changing the icons can be done in the free version as well.) Go to the "Options" menu of the map edit/view window and choose "Add/Edit/Remove Custom Terrain and Features." Once you add Terrain, it will appear as a new button on the "Terrain" tab. If the new item is a Feature, a new button for it will be on the "Icons" sub-tab of the "Symbols" tab. However if the new item is a Cosmic Feature or Terrain then a button for the new choice appears on the "Cosmic" tab.

www.inkwellideas.com/roleplaying_tools/hexographer/

InkwellIdeas

Adventurer
Publisher
We made it to version 1.00!!!!!
Recent changes:
* Print as a poster or art print by easily sending your map image to the web based merchandise printer, Zazzle: Choose "File" and then "Print Poster/Art Print Using Web Service" on the map edit window. A prompt will appear to help you understand your map's print quality at different print sizes.
* Icosahedral map mask: Go to "Options" then check "Use Icosahedral Template" on the map edit window. This will fit a icosahedral map yemplate that will cover the hexes that aren't part of an icosahedral map. These maps give a truer perspective of a globe. The template attempts to best fit your maps area based on the chosen number of hexes wide and high. You can even print your icosahedral map, paste it on cardboard, cut it, fold it and create a d20 version of your world.
* 7 new star icons.
* Miscellaneous bug fixes

Here's a sample of the d20 world printed from an icosahedral template/mask:
mapd20.jpg

(Note: I was just testing this so I didn't take the time to make sure all the half-hexes on the edges of the icosahedral map matched the terrain of their counterpart half-hexes. That's why you can see some edges where some hexes are half one terrain and half a different terrain type. I also wasn't using a completed sample map with rivers, roads, labels, etc. If you add those items, they'll be part of the output.)

See the links in the prior posts or my sig.

Remove ads