Converting Greyhawk monsters

Cleon

Legend
I think it's fine to put a notation like that in the skill line. A synergy bonus or the bonus from the Track feat (for example) would generally be listed like that. I'm not 100% sure why a racial bonus isn't usually.

Should we leave this thread fallow for a bit since we're starting up the true dragons thread again?

If you like.

How many monsters would you like to have on the go at once?

I'll promote the Aurotyugh on the Creatures Awaiting Upload thread.

Cleon

Legend
What ones are left? I haven't been active in a while but I'd be willing do tackle a few that are left.

Mike

Welcome back!

According to our Unconverted D&D creatures index, the only one missing is the Monarch Scorpion from Rary the Traitor.

However, that index is incomplete.

We don't have a conversion for the Sea Sprite from Greyhawk Adventures, and there are probably a few other missing Greyhawk monsters in obscure corners, or ones that are on the Dragon Magazine list rather than the Greyhawk list.

Do either the Monarch Scorpion or Sea Sprite appeal to you as a conversion?

I guess the Monarch is the more interesting of the two (in the "may your PCs find interesting ways to die" sense)... :devil:

Cleon

Legend
Monarch Scorpion Original Stats

Monarch Scorpion
Monarch Scorpion
CLIMATE/TERRAIN:
Desert
FREQUENCY: Very rare
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Day
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Low
TREASURE: D
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil
NO. APPEARING: 1-3
ARMOR CLASS: 2
MOVEMENT: 18
HIT DICE: 8 + 8
THAC0: 13
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-20 (x2)/1-8 + poison
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Psionics
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Psionics
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: H
MORALE: Champion (15-16)
XP VALUE: 4,000

Psionics Summary
Level
Dis/Sci/Dev
2/2/7
Attack/Defense
PB/M-
Score
PSPs
Telepathy: Sciences: domination; Devotions: contact, invisibility, life detection, psionic blast
Metapsionics: Sciences: ultrablast; Devotions: psionic sense, psionic inflation, psychic drain

Master Scorpion
CLIMATE/TERRAIN: Desert
FREQUENCY: Unique
ORGANIZATION: Solitary
ACTIVITY CYCLE: Day
DIET: Omnivore
INTELLIGENCE: Low
TREASURE: G
ALIGNMENT: Chaotic evil
NO. APPEARING: 1
ARMOR CLASS: 0
MOVEMENT: 18
HIT DICE: 12 + 12
THAC0: 9
NO. OF ATTACKS: 3
DAMAGE/ATTACK: 2-20 (x2)/1-8 + poison
SPECIAL ATTACKS: Psionics
SPECIAL DEFENSES: Psionics
MAGIC RESISTANCE: Nil
SIZE: H
MORALE: Fanatic (17-18)
XP VALUE: 10,000

Psionics Summary
Level
Dis/Sci/Dev
4/6/17
Attack/Defense
PB, MT/MB
Score
PSPs
Telepathy: Sciences: domination, mindwipe; Devotions: contact, ESP, inflict pain, mind thrust, psionic blast
Metapsionics: Sciences: ultrablast; Devotions: magnify, prolong, psionic inflation
Psychometabolism: Sciences: life draining; Devotions: body control, ectoplasmic form, immovability, suspend animation
Psychokinesis: Sciences: project force, telekinesis; Devotions: ballistic attack, control body, create sound, inertial barrier

Shattados the Cruel’s curse transformed him into a horrific creature, a great and powerful giant scorpion with awesome psionic abilities and a deep hatred for humanity. A new species of scorpion appeared in the desert soon thereafter. They were smaller versions of their deadly master. To this day the monarch scorpions, as the nomads call them, continue to cause woe throughout the desert.

Combat: While monarch scorpions’ psionic abilities are their most potent weapon, their normal attacks are devastating in their own right. Each powerful claw strike causes 2-20 points of damage, while the tail sting attacks cause 1-8 points of damage. Those struck by the tail must successfully save vs. poison at -4 or die.

Monarch scorpions like to lie in wait just beneath the sands of the Bright Desert, emitting a devastating psionic blast before emerging to attack when their prey walks nearby or above them.

Habitat/Society: Monarch scorpions have no real society, but dwell alone in the desert, although they are occasionally encountered as mated pairs or small family groups. The creatures seem to be another result of Shattados’s curse, magically altered normal scorpions now grown to enormous size. Their low intelligence reflects not a reasoning intellect, but rather an instinctive cunning which enables them to expertly ambush their prey.

Ecology: These vicious beasts are efficient predators, aiding their manscorpion cousins in eliminating many of the desert’s animal species, as well as much of its human population.

Master Scorpion: There is presently only one master scorpion, the immortal creature that is all that remains of the evil monarch, Shattados the Cruel. This creature dwells exclusively in the ruins of Shattados’s palace, guarding the scorpion crown.

Originally from WGR3 - Rary the Traitor (1992)

Note: I've reformatted this a bit from the original MC entry, which originally had a three-column stat block with the Monarch and Master Scorpions in side-by-side columns.

It's just a bit easier to read with the two monsters' stats separated out into their own stat blocks.

Last edited:

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, first thing is that I'd make the master scorpion just an underbar.

Type seems like magical beast with psionic abilities. I guess the question is to use Psionics (Sp), real psionics, or both.

Cleon

Legend
Well, first thing is that I'd make the master scorpion just an underbar.

Type seems like magical beast with psionic abilities. I guess the question is to use Psionics (Sp), real psionics, or both.

Yes, it certainly looks like a Magical Beast.

We traditionally stat up a (Sp) version and add the (Ps) ones as part of a Psionics subentry. I was expecting we'd do that.

I guess the obvious thing to do is take a Monstrous Scorpion of a particular size and start warping it. A Huge Scorpion would seem to be the closest fit.

Remove ads