Converting Greyhawk monsters

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
The somewhat tougher barbed devil does 1d8+Con, but the Con modifier isn't going to do much here. ;) Either 1d8 or 1d6+ some appropriate modifier (Str???).

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I wasn't sure, since spiked defense is kind of passive. Dex might work also, if it involves lining the spikes up with the attacker.

Cleon

Legend
NA seems maybe a touch too high for likely CR, but not much. The other ideas sound pretty good. As suggested before, let's add barbed defense.

Yes, we could knock the natural armour down.

Hmm, a Flesh Golem has the same hit dice and NA +10. If you stick one in full plate armour it'd get another +8 on armour, for the same AC as our spiked golem.

We could imagine it's the equivalent of Banded/Splint for +16 NA instead and AC24?

Barbed Defense for 1d8+Str sounds good to me.

Cleon

Legend
CR 7?

10-13 HD (Large), 14-27 HD (Huge)?

Those both look good.

I also think this golem should weigh less than a standard Iron Golem. It's got a Strength 8 points lower (approx 1/3rd the carrying capacity) and half the HD, so I do think it's a lot less "substantial".

Cut the weight to half?

Shade

Monster Junkie
The halved weight appeals.

Blending the iron golem's construction mechanics with the flesh golem's DCs and pricing yields...

Construction
A spiked golem’s body is sculpted from 2,500 pounds of assorted metals, smelted with rare tinctures and admixtures costing at least 500 gp. Assembling the body requires a DC 13 Craft (armorsmithing) check or a DC 13 Craft (weaponsmithing) check.

CL 8th; Craft Construct, geas/quest, keen edge, limited wish, caster must be at least 8th level; Price 20,000 gp; Cost 10,500 gp + 780 XP.

Does that work?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases