The Temple of Elemental Evil

Nebulous

Legend
So, my computer is older, but it should good enough to run a 6 year old game that i never had the chance to play. Now, i've heard horror stories about the bugs in this, but i've found all the patches, including one from The Circle of Eight which supposedly adds a ton of new content. Has anyone enjoyed ToEE with all the patches installed? How does it compare to something like Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale?

Thanee

First Post
Yep, the game is unplayable without patches (i.e. your NPC party members hoarding multiple armors until they cannot move anymore, and you can do nothing about it :lol: ).

With the patches it's a fun game (Co8 made a fan patch pretty early, that fixed the biggest issues and much later there also was an official patch; Co8 also added content, so if you have the latest patches, you should be covered), especially if you like pretty true-to-the-rules 3E tactical combat (as that is the majority of the game).

Bye
Thanee

Brandigan

Explorer
With the patches it's a fun game to play. The turn based combat is great. The graphics still hold up nice, especially the spell effects. One of the few things that bothered me were the silly little MMO type quests in town. Like the baker can't get her own damn flour?! But in the end, I think you'll be glad you played through it.

Nebulous

Legend
well, i have it, but i need to install a new (older) video card before i can run it. i can't wait! i've been itching for a turn-based tactical combat game for a long, long time. I friend of mine said when he played it the game turns were ridiculously slow, i hope that is something addressed in the patches.

dinelendarkstar

First Post
I have played this game through twice now (Both times with different Co8 front-ends). This is an awesome fun game.

My tips if using the Co8 front end:
Level cap 16
6 Member party
Make all your own PC's and don't use NPC's unless you have to. Find a walk though and follow it. May be cheating to some but it will give you a chance to get more of the game and helps a lot with the quests.
2 Fighter types
1 Rogue/fighter
Cleric of St. Cuthbert with the Domain that grants Holy Smite so you can make you own Holy Weapons. make sure to take the correct item Creation feats
Wizard and take the correct Item Creation feats.

Save Often!!!!

Have fun

Last edited:

Nebulous

Legend
I'm using the Co8 front end; did they change all the voice acting for PCs? They sound much better. The ones that shipped with the game were pretty damn sucky.

I haven't gotten far yet. After running 4e for a while now it is frigging CRIPPLING to run low level characters in 3.5! Especially my powerhouse 4hp mage with Magic Missile. He gets creamed so much it's not even funny.

I got to the second or so level of the moathouse with 5 PCs and 2 NPCs i picked up, but between the bugbear fights and the gnoll fights and the raider fights (i was 2nd level) i'm getting my ass handed to me. I think i'll have to start over with more fighters, i'm too magic heavy. Although the spellcasters will totally own later, they're more of a hindrance now than anything. And the wizard can't hit crap with his crossbow.

Nebulous

Legend
I

Make all your own PC's and don't use NPC's unless you have to. Find a walk though and follow it. May be cheating to some but it will give you a chance to get more of the game and helps a lot with the quests.

Save Often!!!!

Have fun

I just looked up a walkthrough was sorta surprised by how much stuff i had missed. So, yes, good advice there. It is a fun game, just brutally hard at the start.

green slime

First Post
I just looked up a walkthrough was sorta surprised by how much stuff i had missed. So, yes, good advice there. It is a fun game, just brutally hard at the start.

I think you are meant to spend more time exploring Hommlet and its folk, rather than immediately setting off into the wilderness.
I tend to camp outside the moathouse for a level or two on random encounters, prior to invading its grounds proper.

Otherwise I think the Co8 have done an amazing effort.

Anyone else tried their new module, Keep on the Borderlands?

jeffh

Adventurer
Optimal play seems to involve a fair bit of FedExing around Homlett early on. It is possible to get to second level without swords clearing sheaths once. However, this makes for a slow and somewhat dull early game.

Once you get to the moathouse it picks up and from then on, it's (once patched) one of the better RPGs out there for the more tactically-minded.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases