How good is Eldritch Disciple?

Theroc

First Post
Well, as the title states, I was wondering how good the Eldritch Disciple( from Complete Mage) is over simply alternating between Warlock and Cleric or going straight Warlock.

I'd heard/read somewhere that ED was one of the few Warlock PrC's available worth going into, and was wondering how accurate that statement was.

Last edited:

irdeggman

First Post
IMO starting with favored soul instead is a better mix due to the common prime ability (Cha) for both. You enter a tad later but they seem to mix better IMO.

Ahnehnois

First Post
It's as good or better than the mystic theurge-y classes. The combination of a class that does everything but direct damage spells and a class with a direct at-will damaging spell is quite versatile.

As with all the other such classes, however, it's a long wait to get to the good stuff.

Theroc

First Post
Well, IR, the reason I was wondering if Favoured Soul would be a good idea is spell potency is still determined by wisdom anyway... but it is something to look into.

As far as taking awhile to enter, the game I'm thinking of doing this in(in the immediate future) is gestalt...

My idea for this character was to allow him to buff& heal with the spells, and use his eldritch Blast for damage(and maybe healing if I can swing the healing blast).

I suppose I should have pitched the whole concept initially, but I more just wanted the general effectiveness of the PrC as I'd heard negatives about Warlock oriented PrC's... besides some hellfire one.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Eldritch Disciple class itself is very fun to play and is strong. But I doubt if it is a good idea for a half-vampire. ED (or any other dual-caster classes) goes behind a few levels to get higher level spells already. LA+2 from Half-Vampire template will make it worse.

By the way, you can't be a Favored Soul/Warlock/Eldritch Disciple. Because you need to have turning/rebuke undead class feature to become an Eldritch Disciple.

Sharkon

First Post
I want to ask something about the practised spellcaster feat. If you go Cleric/Warlock and you take that feat for the cleric class it is ok. But can you take it for the warlock class ? so that it gives him higher eldritch blast damage and higher invocation caster lvl...

Shin Okada

Explorer
I want to ask something about the practised spellcaster feat. If you go Cleric/Warlock and you take that feat for the cleric class it is ok. But can you take it for the warlock class ? so that it gives him higher eldritch blast damage and higher invocation caster lvl...

No. Because Warlock is not a spellcasting class.

Thanee

First Post
As far as taking awhile to enter, the game I'm thinking of doing this in(in the immediate future) is gestalt...

Then you should forget about the class, it is highly recommended to ban such prestige classes in combination with the gestalt rules.

Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations-such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight-should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the game master is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases