Pathfinder 1E Paizo, where have you been all my life?

Banshee16

First Post
I have to say....I knew Paizo was doing a great job with Dragon Magazine until WotC crushed it. But that was about all I knew....

Then I got the beta Pathfinder rules, and was really impressed with some of the changes they had made to the game (LOVE the new sorcerer).

Finally, a few weeks ago, I buckled and bought the Pathfinder Campaign setting book, the Elves of Golarion, and Osirion books.......I'm very impressed. These guys are doing great work!

I was looking on the website, and noticed that there's a Pathfinder book coming out about the Outer Planes. Hopefully, if there are any changes, they'll include the inclusion of some kind of plane similar to 4E's Feywild.

I really hadn't been paying that much attention to the Adventure Path books, and hadn't ordered any of them....I've been busy running Midnight, among others, and wasn't anticipating running another setting....but the more of their work that I see, the more I start thinking I might need to change.

What other books are good for the Pathfinder setting?

Banshee

WarRabbit

Explorer
As far as the outer planes go, there's already a Pathfinder book out for that called 'The Great Beyond - a Guide to the Multiverse'.

And I think all of their Pathfinder material is high quality, but there's a lot of it! The Adventure Paths are terrific. It's would be a lot of material to buy at once so maybe start with one complete AP and see if you like it. So far, the APs(all in D&D 3.5) are:

Rise of the Runelords (#1-#6): A fairly classical take on a campaign with goblins, ogres, and giants. There's some great adventures in this series which touch on tales of horror.

Curse of the Crimson Throne (#7-#12): The first half of this series is based in a city and involves some political intrigue.

Second Darkness (#13-#18): Dark elves are plotting to devastate the surface world and take it over. The players must venture into the Darklands and stop the evil plot.

Legacy of Fire (#19-#24): Based in a desert climate where gnolls and genies not mere stories told to the young, this is the most current AP and is just finishing up next month with #24. It's an excellent AP.

Starting with #25 (Council of Thieves), the adventure paths will be in the new Pathfinder RPG rules comming out in August and if you subscribe to their Adventure Path line, you get a 20% discount and a free PDF of each issue. Also, you get 15% off of ALL of the other Pathfinder products (such as the campaign setting type materials).

Treebore

First Post
I buy Paizo because quality is quality, no matter what RPG system you use. I do not run Pathfinder, and have no intention of ever running it. I am willing to play. Still, I buy Pathfinder products across the board, and even subscribe to the maps, Pathfinder, and now the RPG books. Why? Because quality is quality, and to me Paizo is the BEST across the board in the whole industry. Top grade art, top grade writing, top grade creativity, top grade rules design, and top grade customer relations.

I think anyone who has been ignoring Paizo should give them another serious look. Like I said, I don't even run or play Pathfinder, and I find them just so good all the across the spectrum, that I think I would be really cheating myself if I didn't buy as much of it as I do. Lately I have been giving serious consideration to subscribing to everything and hunting down everything else I have missed/passed on.

I sound like a fan boy because I am, and I am a fan boy because Paizo earns it.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
What other books are good for the Pathfinder setting?

Yes.

I subscribe to the adventure path despite not using published adventures. I love the short articles that appear along with the APs (which is the reason why I subscribe). Top notch fiction, 6 pages on gods, additional monsters, gazeeters on countries and more. Highly recommended.

Pathfinder Chronicles are my next favorite. Pure setting fluff. Want a certain location in more detail, look here. Want to distinguish a blue dragon from a black dragon, look here. Want secrets and plot hooks for your adventures, look here.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The Adventure Paths in general are good - and Crimson Throne, in particular, is excellent. It makes plague in a city something to be feared, has some... interesting politics. (In a my god their evil! sort of way. And gives the party a common thread to work from. In feel there is a good bit of Revolutionary France,, and the seeds that the various political blocs have planted begin bearing strange and bitter fruit. Some very nicely portrayed vile antagonists.

The Auld Grump, parts of Crimson Throne made me wish that I had written them. :)

Remove ads