[MnM] Four Against Pharaoh

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
The Rise of Dr. Mobius
The history of modern Egypt starts because of a short Corsican. The arrival of Napoleon Bonaparte to Egypt on 2 July 1798 initiated a new phase in Egypt's history and in the history of the Middle East, shocking the Egyptians and the Ottoman Turks out of their complacency. The Egyptians were hitherto totally uninformed about European culture and technical achievements. Murad Bey, an Egyptian Mamluk chieftain, sent a poorly equipped and poorly trained force to meet the Napoleonic army of 40,000. After being roundly defeated, he left Cairo in haste and ordered the city to be burnt.

Napoleon brought with him a number of scientists who made a complete encyclopedic survey of Egypt, known as "Description de l'Egypte". The expedition contributed significantly to the study of ancient Egyptian history through the discovery of the Rosetta Stone and the consequent deciphering of Hieroglyphics.

The Napoleonic invasion caused a drastic revision in the thinking of Egyptian and Ottoman rulers, who finally understood the industrial and technical superiority of the West, and some of its implications. French technology, military techniques and culture were adopted as models, and French instructors were imported to train modern armies. However, the reform was not thorough. Weapons were imported, but the means of achieving an independent industrial capability were not imported. The printing press was not introduced until very late and literacy was low. It was inevitable that these poor societies, including Egypt, would bankrupt themselves trying to pay for the imported Western industrial goods.

After the French were defeated by the British, Mohamad Ali, who was an officer in the Ottoman Army, rose to power with the support of the Egyptian people. His rule extended from 1805 to 1849 was an eventful period in Egypt's modern history. He is regarded as the father of modern Egypt who set the country on the march towards modernization. He was an efficient ruler and was able to supplant the Ottoman Turks in Palestine, and withdrew only when forced to do so by the British.

Khedive Ismail, a member of Mohamad Ali's dynasty, rose to power in 1863. If Mohamad Ali had started the process of modernization, it was Ismail who completed it. He had boundless ambitions to bring Egypt up to the same level of culture, civilization and development which was enjoyed by most nations of Europe. It was during his reign, in 1869, that the modern Suez Canal was inaugurated. The Canal was built by a British and French company, and was vital to the maintenance of the British Empire in India, as well as to Western trade.

Unfortunately, Ismail and other Khedives overspent, and Egypt very nearly went bankrupt. They were forced to allow Great Britain and France an increasing role in their government in order to protect the investments made by those countries in Egypt. At the same time, the Khedives requested the intervention of the British, or were induced to request their intervention, to protect their rule in the south of Egypt and Sudan. The British were extremely unpopular because they banned the lucrative slave trade.

A very gifted renegade and religious fanatic, Mohammed Ahmed-Ibn-el-Sayed, proclaimed himself to be the Mahdi, or the Twelfth Caliph, and routed Egyptian and British forces sent to put down his rebellion. In 1884, after a long siege, he defeated and beheaded General Charles George Gordon, who had been sent with an inadequate force of 7,500 to oversee the safe evacuation of British troops. The Mahdi took sick the following year and disappeared. It was rumored he had died. Lord Herbert Kitchener successfully pacified the Sudan in the Mahdi's absence.

Egypt became a British protectorate until 1922, with British troops guarding the Suez canal and other vital British interest. Mustafa Kamel, Sa'ad Zaghloul, Mustafa El Nahas and many others were prominent figures who strove to achieve two national objectives: independence and constitutional reform. Civil unrest spread, and the British mobilized to put down the impending rebellion. Then, out of the desert, came Mohammed Ahmed-Ibn-el-Sayed at the head of an army of nomads augmented by squads of seemingly supernatural creatures.

Calling himself Dr. Mobius, armed with amazing weird science weapons, Mohammed Ahmed-Ibn-el-Sayed first crushed Egypt's infant independence movement by killing its three most prominent leaders. The rebels scattered, leaderless and overwhelmed. Many of them joined forces with Dr. Mobius, who quickly cemented his hold on Cairo. It was then that Dr. Mobius unleashed his most powerful weapon: the Omegatron.

No one (at least outside Dr. Mobius's inner circle) knows the origin or full power of the Omegatron. Its capabilities are staggering. Dr. Mobius's first use of the Omegatron closed Egypt's borders with mighty "reality storms" that bend natural laws with unpredictable results. Protected by these unnatural phenomena, Dr. Mobius consolidated his power in Egypt, remaking the land into a mixture of the ancient and the modern, with himself as the peerless Pharaoh ruling it all.

Two years ago, in 1927, Dr. Mobius's armies invaded the surrounding African lands and even pushed eastward across the Red Sea. With each conquest, the radius of the reality storms expanded. Egypt's power-mad Pharaoh now sets his sights on all of North Africa. Within Egypt itself, Dr. Mobius's lackeys ensure their master's iron fist is felt everywhere.

Is there no one who can stand up to Dr. Mobius?

The Heroes
Well, sort of. For decades, there have been mystery men, costumed adventurers who fought the good fight against the forces of injustice. Cairo, Egypt, is no different, although the surviving mystery men there must move with caution.

If you're one of the four players in this game, you get to be one of Egypt's surviving mystery men. Of course, you're no match for Dr. Mobius. The best you can do so far is to be a thorn in less formidable sides while hoping against hope for a chance to put an end to Dr. Mobius's tyranny.

Heroes start at PL 6 with 105 pp using 2E Mutants and Masterminds and Ultimate Power. Here are some additional rules:

1. Ability scores bought above 26 must be acquired via Enhanced Traits.

2. No more than a +2/-2 trade-off. Base Attack and Defense must be at least +2 each.

3. Although weird science devices are possible, they are the technological exceptions. Otherwise, Dr. Mobius's Egypt has your typical late 1920s tech. Thus, for example, no Computers.

4. You can have one Luck rank per Fortune feat (up to 3 ranks maximum). Otherwise, you're limited to one rank of Luck.

5. Let's take it easy on the Minions and Sidekicks. I don't want to have to worry about oodles of Minions, et cetera.

6. Powers other than Enhanced Traits or those that are clearly not outside of human limits must have at least a -1 Flaw associated with them with no decrease in pp cost. The only exception is Devices. Devices can be bought as normal.

7. Drawbacks are complications. No extra pp for drawbacks.

8. Keep in mind that there are some types of heroes I just don't like. For example, I don't like Regenerating Feral Slashers or Reformed Demonic Avengers. Other concepts irritate me as well. I'll know them when I see them, and will let you know as well.

Player Roster
Giant Boy playing ?
Meteoric playing Re-Khenemetsi
jkason playing Fist of Khonshu
Merlin's Shadow playing ?

BTW, I really like this format for heroes.

Last edited:

Giant Boy

Explorer
Interesting...I am interested in seeing how the heroes will turn out.

I had an idea about an African soldier with enhanced traits and some devices....will that work?

jkason

First Post
I'm on an M&M kick since I just got my hands on the core rules. I'll throw a concept in: a sabotoging teleporter:

Shakir Nkuku should have died two years ago. Shakir's "Defy Mobius" graffiti was labelled the cause of a short-lived (and violently-ended) protest march in Alexandria, and the young man snatched off the streets one night and thrown in a cell. He would never see trial, he knew; honestly, he was amazed he hadn't been summarily shot in the street. Perhaps they feared making a martyr of him, but who could say?

All he knew was that he was now in the dank and dark with nothing but a thin beam of light from a tiny window to see by and a poor, old, mute man on his last legs for company. Knowing that he could make no plea that would assuage the tyrant's wrath, Shakir instead chose to care for his infirm cellmate--the guards called him Asim--as he waited to hear of his fate, or waste away from the waiting. He gave the old man his share of their tasteless gruel, half of his water, and though his stomach cried in protest, at least that distracted him from trying to count days in the near-darkness.

And then one night, Asim spoke. He claimed that he was the last of The Order of Khonsu, dedicated to protecting Egypt and her people from those who would seek to subjugate her. Through his selflessness, Shakir had shown Asim his good soul, and to repay his kindness--and keep the light of Khonsu alive--he had chosen Shakir to bear Khonsu's mark. He opened his shirt to reveal a circle of heiroglyphs tatooed upon his chest, then before Shakir could object, he grabbed the young man's hand and pulled it to touch the symbols.

Shakir watched in amazement as the heiroglyphs travelled off of the old man and up his own arm, twisting into a spiral around his forearm before Asim's grip relaxed. Shakir pulled away, frightened by what he had witnessed, and realized only then that Asim had not just let go of Shakir, but of life itself. Finally, fully alone, Shakir despaired that he would never leave his cell. He stared at the narrow slit of a window and wished desperately that he could touch the world on the other side.

And, with a jolt in his forearm and a rush of air, he was on the other side. Free in an instant, thanks to the gift of a dying old man.

Shakir disappeared in the night, though he is not gone. His acts are small but noticeable: a sabotaged vehicle here, a theft of government contraband there. And in each case, the words "Defy Mobius" mark the scene.

Meteoric

First Post
RE-KHENEMETSI
[sblock=Basic Info]Quote: "You'd just as well fight the sunrise."
Concept: Sun-powered devotee of the ancient Egyptian gods
Legal Status: Several false identities as a citizen of Egypt; real identity has no citizenship.
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Egypt, specifics unknown
Languages Spoken: Arabic, Egyptian
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: Unknown
Height: 5 ft. 10 in.
Weight: 172 lb.
Eyes: Blue-green
Hair: Sunbleached brown
Motivations: Seeking and revealing truth; righteousness
Complications: Wanted man, unknown past
[/sblock]
[sblock=Background]One day, he just appeared in the desert, wandering out of the edge of a reality storm. The land is both familiar and strange to him, as though he had been away from home for a very long time. The few memories he has are hazy, but he believes he is the latest reincarnation of an ancient hero, unknown to history, who brought light to the darkness. He believes that is his purpose, to carry light in a land where darkness rules. He has hidden under many names, but only one is truly his: Re-Khenemetsi, meaning, Child of the Sun, Son of Ra.

The night is his shelter, and the day is his ally. No matter how the sun beats down on him, he does not seem to sweat or tire. He draws strength from it, and calls upon its power to wield blinding light, searing heat, and a blade of liquid fire. Piece by piece, he works to destroy what the false Pharaoh has built.

One man cannot fight armies. One man cannot fight an enemy with Dr. Mobius' godlike power. But this man will still fight where he is able. The dawn comes by inches, but it always comes.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]STR 14 (+2); DEX 16 (+3); CON 14 (+2); INT 10 (+0); WIS 16 (+3); CHA 10 (+0)

TOU +4/+2*; FORT +7; REF +10; WILL +9; INIT +3; KNOCKBACK -1
*Flat-footed

MELEE +6; RANGE +6; GRAPPLE +8; DAMAGE +6 Strike or +2 unarmed; DEFENSE +8/+2*
*Flat-footed

Attack/Damage Tradeoff: 0/0
Defense/Toughness Tradeoff: +2/-2

Skills: Acrobatics 8 (+11), Climb 4 (+6), Disguise 7 (+7), Language 1 (Egyptian), Notice 8 (+11), Sense Motive 4 (+7), Stealth 8 (+11), Survival 8 (+11)

Feats: Blind-Fight, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 4

Powers:
Environment Control (Mix-and-Match, 4 pts/rank) +6
(Feats: Slow Fade, Alternate Power x2; Flaw: Fades (-0)) (27 points)
*Alternate Power: Dazzle (Sight) +6 (Extras: Area, Selective; Flaw: Fades (-0); Descriptor: Light)
*Alternate Power: Strike +6 (Extra: Penetrating; Flaw: Fades (-0)) Linked to Concealment 4 (Visual Senses) (Flaw: Partial (-0)) (Descriptor: Light)
*To replenish his power, Re-Khenemetsi must be exposed to sunlight for an hour without using his powers.

Abilities 20 + Skills 12 (48 ranks) + Feats 7 + Powers 27 + Combat 20 + Saves 19 = 105[/sblock]

Last edited:

Meteoric

First Post
Okay, I've got some stats up. I'm a little iffy about the linked Deflection on Strike, but I couldn't think of anything else to get that alternate power to 24 points, and lightsabers kind of set a precedent for it anyway, right? :p

What languages are spoken in/around Cairo?

Also, I dread to ask this, because fitting him into 105 was hard enough, but curiosity has the better of me: why 105 points, instead of 90 (15 x 6)?

Merlin's Shadow

First Post
I wouldn't mind getting in on this.

Let's see...I'm thinking about a mystic, someone who has magical powers. He travels the world seeking ultimate knowledge. He believes that the quest for this does not lie in seeking answers, at least not yet. He seeks the right question. Asking that will lead him to finding the answers. Why does he want this knowledge? Power. Not necessarily power to lord over others, but power as in the freedom to be beholden to no one or no power.

He can be arrogant and sarcastic. He will help people, but it is to him a relationship of a lord aiding his serfs. It is the duty, in other words, of those with power to help the mindless sheep who can't help themselves. Battling Dr. Mobius is in part to fulfill this duty and a chance to expand his knowledge.

Name and stats forthcoming if this is a character you think would work, MC.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Okay, I've got some stats up.

What languages are spoken in/around Cairo?

Also, I dread to ask this, because fitting him into 105 was hard enough, but curiosity has the better of me: why 105 points, instead of 90 (15 x 6)?

I'll go over the stats later today. In and around Cairo, the main languages are Arabic, English, and French. Under Mobius, there's been a resurgence of authentic Egyptian and hieroglyphs as the official government language.

I went for 105 pp to give heroes a bit more flexibility, but still wanted to keep the PL 6 cap. In essence, the extra pp can be considered experience.

Name and stats forthcoming if this is a character you think would work, MC.

Looks like a workable concept. Go for it.

jkason

First Post
Still working out how M&M builds balance out. Let's see if I did this right:

FIST OF KHONSU

[sblock=Basic Info]
Quote: "Defiance comes from every corner"
Concept: Teleporting sabateur
Legal Status: Citizen of Egypt, currently wanted for revolutionary activities
Identity: Secret
Place of Birth: Alexandria, Egypt
Marital Status: Single
Living Relatives: None known
Height: 6 ft.
Weight: 195 lbs
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Black
Motivation: Freedom, Justice, Revenge
Complications:Wanted by police[/sblock]

[sblock=Background]Shakir Nkuku should have died two years ago. Shakir's "Defy Mobius" graffiti was labelled the cause of a short-lived (and violently-ended) protest march in Alexandria, and the young man snatched off the streets one night and thrown in a cell. He would never see trial, he knew; honestly, he was amazed he hadn't been summarily shot in the street. Perhaps they feared making a martyr of him, but who could say?

All he knew was that he was now in the dank and dark with nothing but a thin beam of light from a tiny window to see by and a poor, old, mute man on his last legs for company. Knowing that he could make no plea that would assuage the tyrant's wrath, Shakir instead chose to care for his infirm cellmate--the guards called him Asim--as he waited to hear of his fate, or waste away from the waiting. He gave the old man his share of their tasteless gruel, half of his water, and though his stomach cried in protest, at least that distracted him from trying to count days in the near-darkness.

And then one night, Asim spoke. He claimed that he was the last of The Order of Khonsu, dedicated to protecting Egypt and her people from those who would seek to subjugate her. Through his selflessness, Shakir had shown Asim his good soul, and to repay his kindness--and keep the light of Khonsu alive--he had chosen Shakir to bear Khonsu's mark. He opened his shirt to reveal a circle of heiroglyphs tatooed upon his chest, then before Shakir could object, he grabbed the young man's hand and pulled it to touch the symbols.

Shakir watched in amazement as the heiroglyphs travelled off of the old man and up his own arm, twisting into a spiral around his forearm before Asim's grip relaxed. Shakir pulled away, frightened by what he had witnessed, and realized only then that Asim had not just let go of Shakir, but of life itself. Finally, fully alone, Shakir despaired that he would never leave his cell. He stared at the narrow slit of a window and wished desperately that he could touch the world on the other side.

And, with a jolt in his forearm and a rush of air, he was on the other side. Free in an instant, thanks to the gift of a dying old man.

Shakir disappeared in the night, though he is not gone. His acts are small but noticeable: a sabotaged vehicle here, a theft of government contraband there. And in each case, the words "The Fist of Khonsu" mark the scene.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]STR 12 (+1); DEX 16 (+3); CON 14 (+2); INT 12 (+1); WIS 12 (+1); CHA 16 (+3)

TOU +4/+3*; FORT +8; REF +9**; WILL +7; INIT +3; KNOCKBACK -1

* Without leather jacket
** Evasion 2: 1/2 dmg on fail, none on success

MELEE +3; RANGE +3; GRAPPLE +4; DAMAGE* +1 Unarmed, +2 Hold-out pistol, +6 Strike; DEFENSE +5

* Sneak Attack (+2), Favored Opponent: police (+2)

Tradeoffs: None

Skills: Acrobatics 5 (+8), Bluff 5 (+8*), Cimb 4 (+5), Diplomacy 4 (+7), Disable Device 8 (+9), Disguise 5 (+8**), Escape Artist 5 (+8), Know: Streetwise 3 (+4), Know: Current Events 3 (+4), Know: all others 0 (+1, Eidetic Memory), Language 3 (Egyptian Heiroglyphs, English, French), Notice 4 (+5*), Sense Motive 5 (+6*), Sleight of Hand 5 (+8), Stealth 5 (+8), Equipment 4 (20 ep)

* Favored Opponent: police (+2)
** Quick Change 2: Disguise as move action

Feats: Accurate Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 1, Dodge Focus 1, Favored Opponent (police) 2, Evasion 2, Move-by Action, Sneak Attack 1, Uncanny Dodge (Auditory) 1, Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Quick Change 2, Distract (Bluff), Improvised Tools

Powers/Devices:

Khonsu's Blessing / Khonsu's Wrath: Shakir can channel the power of the Mark of Khonsu to his temporary benefit. Alternately, he can channel that same power into a powerful blow against his enemies.
* Boost 4 (any ability, one at a time) (Flaw: Personal Only[-1/0], Extra:Total Fade [+1])(Alternate Power: Strike 6, Stun 3)

Khonsu's Path: The supernatural powers of the Mark allow him to instantly transport himself across short distances at will
* Khonsu's Path: Teleport 2 (Flaw: Short-Range[-1/0])

Equipment: Caltrops, Binoculars, Camo Clothing (Desert), Camo Clothing (Urban), Gas Mask, Hold-out pistol, Bolos, Leather jacket

Abilities 22 + Skills 17 + Feats 17 + Powers 17 + Combat 14 + Saves 18 = 105[/sblock]

I knew Teleport would need a 'no price-break' flaw, while it seemed reasonable to me that Strike and Stun met the 'human limits' requirement so they didn't need one. Boost I wasn't sure on, but erred on the side of caution. If I can take the flaw's discount, I'll probably just throw Slow Fade on so the stats / math don't alter significantly.

Remove ads