OGL:Someone releases as OGC a most revolutionary & awesome game design.You, Wotc...

Halivar

First Post
And to make this harder for you, what if the person did not accept to work for you but instead replied in public with the suggestion of Wotc turning OGL?
I would send my Maxim Calendar-Girl Death Squad to kill him for his insolence. Then I would retreat to my inner-sanctum on the seventh layer of Gehenna and perch myself on a throne, made from the skulls of gamers. Large, bronze braziers to my sides would blaze with the fires of millions of dollar bills as I plot to destroy the gaming industry.

Yea, verily, this I would do.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that, in addition to plexiglass helmets (as per the Evil Overlord's Guide), the MCGDS would also have cellophane uniforms.

xechnao

First Post
I would send my Maxim Calendar-Girl Death Squad to kill him for his insolence. Then I would retreat to my inner-sanctum on the seventh layer of Gehenna and perch myself on a throne, made from the skulls of gamers. Large, bronze braziers to my sides would blaze with the fires of millions of dollar bills as I plot to destroy the gaming industry.

Yea, verily, this I would do.

Lol, yeah, it was pretty far fetched and kinda silly. Nevermind about that, I shouldn't have made that question. But the whole questionnaire is kind of that, but less so. I mean, it is more "speculateable" so lets return to that.
You still did not answer my question posed to you though. I am interested because I do not really know myself what I was getting at. I just considered the scenario and thought it was fun to share our thoughts. Do not know really why though. I cant objectively tell my interior motives.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sorry, you can't convert an existing thread into a poll.

This is sort of a non-question. If you have an open spot in your design group, you consider inviting them in to interview; more likely you watch them to see what other work they produce. If they respond to a job offer with a public confrontation, you wish them well and don't hire them. Either way, you don't change your corporate strategy because one person challenges you. I don't think it's even a blip on your radar, to be honest.

Crothian

First Post
If I were WotC I would leave Mutants and Masterminds alone. M&M is the closest we have to an actual example of what you are talking about. I would defiantly invite Steve Kenson in for an interview.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Every game is strongly flavored by the underlying mechanics. If the new design truly is revolutionary, it probably does not support the flavor of D&D as we have known it up to this point. Adopting the new system is thus probably not something current players would desire, so it is a non-question for WotC.

If the guy is bright, and seems to have staying power, attempting to recruit him would be bright. But folks who try to pressure you to change your business strategy before they are even hired are unlikely to make good employees in the long term. Wish him good luck, and go about your business.

These days, revolutionary design alone is not enough to make dangerous competition.

You are Wotc.
Now, what would you do about it?

Between the thread title and this question, you seem to be wording this in a way that you're implying two specific answers:

1. WotC gets steamrolled by an upstart OGL game and gets the black eye they deserve

2. Or WotC takes the role of the big bad corporation and uses its corporation powers to destroy the poor little upstart, showing us all how evil they really are

Both of those seem like pipe dreams. The most likely occurence, which your wording kind of skirts, is that WotC will do absolutely nothing because they aren't really threatened.

Last edited:

xechnao

First Post
Between the thread title and this question, you seem to be wording this in a way that you're aiming for two specific answers:

1. WotC gets steamrolled by an upstart OGL game and gets the black eye they deserve

2. Or WotC takes the role of the big bad corporation and uses its corporation powers to destroy the poor little upstart, showing us all how evil they really are

Both of those seem like pipe dreams. The most likely occurence, which your wording kind of skirts, is that WotC will do absolutely nothing because they aren't really threatened.

I was more interested in the game development kind of things. Would Wotc choose to try to lead by developing the best game it could or would it rather focus on leading by the current market standards? Now, it is more obvious than ever that the very nature of markets does change. Of course no-one can predict the future but he has to act based on his instincts. So this economic-political question. To figure out the instincts of people in Wotc's current role or rather position.
I think this is interesting to ask because of the creative nature of the subject (rpgames) behind this market.

Last edited:

I was more interested in the game development kind of things. Would Wotc choose to try to lead by developing the best game it could or would it rather focus on leading by the current market standards? Now, it is more obvious than ever that the very nature of markets does change. Of course no-one can predict the future but he has to act based on his instincts. So this economic-political question. To figure out the instincts of people in Wotc's current role or rather position.

This is lawyerspeak and doublespeak. You are implying here that WotC is NOT leading or NOT developing the best game it can currently. I dispute this premise. The rest is just a lot of empty words about nothing. Economic-political question? Its just a game dude, lighten up and pass the Mountain Dew.

Remove ads