Which D&D "sacred cows" will be sacrificed in 5E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggroy

First Post
In 4E D&D, the Vancian magic system was sacrificed, as well as rolling for hit points for both players and monsters.

What other traditional D&D "sacred cows" do you believe may be sacrificed in a future 5E D&D?

One possible "sacred cow" I've seen mentioned in other recent threads on here, is to replace the player stats of STR, CON, DEX, WIS, INT, CHA with a different system.

One possible system is to replace it with Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Fortitude could be a replacement for STR and CON. Reflex could replace DEX. Will could replace the combat functions of WIS, INT and CHA. The non-combat functions of WIS, INT and CHA could be relegated to a skills section.

(In my 4E games, INT and CHA frequently ended up as "dump stats").

For classes which do a lot of melee fighting (ie. fighter, ranger, barbarian, etc ...), Fortitude could the primary stat.

For classes like the swordmage (ie. Jedi-like), rogue, etc ..., Reflex could be the primary stat.

For spell casting classes (ie. wizard, sorcerer, cleric, etc ...), Will could be the primary stat.

(Don't know yet how a bard would fit into such a system of three stats).

In such a system, the player stats and defenses are the same Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. AC could be Fortitude + armor bonus + reflex bonus.

Some examples.
- Shooting a bow & arrow at an enemy would be a Reflex vs. Reflex attack.
- Striking an enemy with a sword would be a Fortitude vs. AC attack.
- Hitting an enemy with a magic missile would be a Will Vs. Reflex attack.
- Trying to push an enemy by hand would be a Fortitude Vs. Fortitude attack.
- A mage thunderwaving an enemy would be a Will Vs. Fortitude attack.

Saving throws could also be Fortitude, Reflex, and Will (as in 3E/3.5E). The saving throw system in 4E doesn't quite feel right, where the player characters only need to roll a 10 or over, regardless of the type of effect. Depending on the particular effect, it would seem more natural to add a bonus based on Fortitude, Reflex, or Will to the save roll, where a successful save would be the sum being over a particular DC.

Hopefully, more than mechanically, some terms:
Hit Points, healing, bloodied etc which just confuse the whole damage issue.

Things like Armour Class, instead of Armour Defence (why?)

Thats what I hope (sacred cow wise) will go. Ditch terms which applied well (or often didn't) but make less than no sense in 4E.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
How about eliminating Hit Points entirely, and replacing with a condition track/wound tracking system (it would go great with your stats/saves ideas). This would make combat a little less about attrition and more about realistic defense and wounds.

ggroy

First Post
How about eliminating Hit Points entirely, and replacing with a condition track/wound tracking system (it would go great with your stats/saves ideas). This would make combat a little less about attrition and more about realistic defense and wounds.

Any rpgs have such a system?

xechnao

First Post
This is not what Wotc would do but this is what I would like them to do:

Make the system newbie friendly.

-scrap the fancy dice:
use just d6. Besides, 4e, trying to fix and balance out the math of 3.x has already shown to fans that there is no real need to have a D20.

-scrap the stat nonsense.
Str, Dex, Con, Int etch. No need to have stats at all. Use just types: humanoids, bears, dragons, turtles you get the point. Establish relations among them. Ie tigers are stronger than humans. Establish special properties of each type. Ie humanoids can manipulate objects.
For each type make a small range of subtypes regarding their build: ie big human, small human etch. This idea already exists in D&D, it stuns me why they haven't used it at its full advantage.

-make melee combat a bit more realistic. Study "riddle of steel". No need to import the game system nor details such as hit locations and the like. Just how combat should go, what should better work in the various cases so to provide interesting tactical options. Work out some of the basics out of this game.

-archetypes or classes: keep them

-magic system: keep it

-races: make the game more humanocentric. Elves with pointy ears are not how cool they used to be. Make fantasy a bit more interesting, a very little bit more dark and/or hard (hard as in hard sci-fi). Eberron is a cool example in the right direction.

-alignment: find something better. I have something in mind that it is simple and makes sense but I aint gonna spell it here, I am working it out. In the meantime, so can you :)

-speed up play: keep it interesting with tactical and strategic options but there is no need to a complex confrontational rule system to check which side is winning. Player rolls: if he rolls good he gains an advantage, if he rolls bad he sucks it up. Something like that. Work it out. Combat must remain as interesting as it is or even more but run faster. Example: scrap the attack versus AC that eats hit points, now your turn-do the same, now my turn etch...

-regarding leveling: give it some thought. Leveling is an instrument to help organize the progress of sand-box play. It seems though that it brings a lot of complexity for what it offers. See if you can do it better and more interesting. Keywords to help in the designing process: threats, risks, knowledge, resources, responsibilities.

-skills, specializations etch. Keep something like this. It makes sense.

For now this is it.

ggroy

First Post
-scrap the fancy dice:
use just d6. Besides, 4e, trying to fix and balance out the math of 3.x has already shown to fans that there is no real need to have a D20.

Using several d6's would change the probability to a bell curve like distribution. (A single die has a uniform probability distribution).

I would be quite reluctant to replace the d20 with something like a percentile dice system (ie. d100).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases