Some Musings on my game

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Well, I ran the first session of a DnD 3.5 game last Saturday. One thing I have noticed is that the plot of the game is probably about 50% in my hands. The players actually male up a lot of actual plot elements. The party Bard will utilize his backround and say something like "Oh, have the Lord summon the Royal Magistrate" and I have not even made up these NPCs. So, I make them up on the spot. It is actually pretty cool. I merely react to what the PCs do. I had to do that entire session improv because they completely took over. They would do something, and I would react. A PC steals a gem from a wealthy lord and I say it is a Chaos gem, and that another poweful NPC is looking to collect them. They kill a villian with one good hit, and I have it so that there is a third party who is also after what that villian was after.

It is a very fun playstyle, and I hope my games can continue like this.:)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Sort of similar to my games, while the plot itself is probably somewhat more focused (partly thanks to it being mainly mystery plots so hard for players to take off in a too different direction). The world itself during gameplay is completely open to being added too, reimagined, etc. I've got players thinking up new technologies, new NPCs, organizations, whole towns, etc.

I actually find it somewhat relaxing as a DM. Since in some regards it means I can just concentrate on giving a framework for the setting and mainly focus on the plot and the players fill in lots of the little details.

TheHeretic

Banned
Banned
Well, I ran the first session of a DnD 3.5 game last Saturday. One thing I have noticed is that the plot of the game is probably about 50% in my hands. The players actually male up a lot of actual plot elements. The party Bard will utilize his backround and say something like "Oh, have the Lord summon the Royal Magistrate" and I have not even made up these NPCs. So, I make them up on the spot. It is actually pretty cool. I merely react to what the PCs do. I had to do that entire session improv because they completely took over. They would do something, and I would react. A PC steals a gem from a wealthy lord and I say it is a Chaos gem, and that another poweful NPC is looking to collect them. They kill a villian with one good hit, and I have it so that there is a third party who is also after what that villian was after.

It is a very fun playstyle, and I hope my games can continue like this.:)
Pardon me, but, could you elaborate on that further, please?

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
The adventure takes place in an all girls school.........................:p

Oh man. HAHAHA.:lol:

Pardon me, but, could you elaborate on that further, please?

Well, he is the son of a general who fought in the War of the Lance(This game is set in Krynn, which is the setting for Dragonlance).

The PCs started at tenth level, so they do have a bit of backround.

They were at a party that was being hosted by the Lord of Palanthas. So, when he was dealing with some plot elements, he asked the Lord to summon them so he could ask for their help.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Excellent style of DMing...I've done it on a few occasions, and often found some pretty good long-term stories could be built on the foundations of those initial, improvised beginnings.

I've never improved an entire campaign like that, though, but I wish I could.

The best thing I can say for keeping it up like that is "be prepared to improvise." Look up "Sizzle Cards" -- little plot changes and twists that the players or DM can play whenever they want to mix things up. Have random encounters and charts available so you can quickly whip up a fight, NPC, dungeon, building, or whatever.

In fact, my strongest recommendation would be to get your hands on:

DMG 1e
AEG Toolbox
AEG Ultimate Toolbox

You'd have enough campaign material with those for the next 100 lifetimes.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Excellent style of DMing...I've done it on a few occasions, and often found some pretty good long-term stories could be built on the foundations of those initial, improvised beginnings.

I've never improved an entire campaign like that, though, but I wish I could.

The best thing I can say for keeping it up like that is "be prepared to improvise." Look up "Sizzle Cards" -- little plot changes and twists that the players or DM can play whenever they want to mix things up. Have random encounters and charts available so you can quickly whip up a fight, NPC, dungeon, building, or whatever.

In fact, my strongest recommendation would be to get your hands on:

DMG 1e
AEG Toolbox
AEG Ultimate Toolbox

You'd have enough campaign material with those for the next 100 lifetimes.

Yup. Prep for me is just a matter of making up a bunch of random encounters/dungeons/NPCs and picking the most opportune time to use them during the game.:)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases