Proposal:PH Heroes Series 1

ukingsken

First Post
I was preparing to make my 2nd character, noodling around in the character builder. I suddenly realized no one had proposed this. For those of you who don't know PH Heroes Series 1 was a set of miniatures released in April of this year, and each miniature came with a new power for the class they represented.

There are 12 level 1 powers, 4 level 6 powers, and a single level 10 power (from a quick count on insider).

So since I want to use one of these powers for my bard:

I propose that we approve the new powers offered in the PH Heroes Series 1 miniatures packs. The following is a list of links for any of you who have insider.

Foe to Foe Barbarian 1
Cutting Words Bard 1
Gaze of Defiance Cleric 1
Grasping Tide Druid 1
Knowckdown Assault Fighter 1
Challenging Strike Paladin 1
Hunters Teamwork Ranger 1
Probing Strike Rogue 1
Arcing Fire Sorcerer 1
Eldritch Strike Warlock 1
Rousing Assault Warlord 1
Chilling Cloud Wizard 1
Laugh It Off Barbarian 6
Walk Among The Wounded Cleric 6
Daring Shot Fighter 6
Hidden Blade Rogue 6
Ethereal Sidestep Warlock 10
Repelling Shield Wizard 10

As far as I can see and from what I've read there doesn't seem to be anything problematic in there, but thats why everyone should check it out! Maybe I missed something.

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
If we allow eldritch strike (the warlock at-will), we should have some house-rule saying you can take it instead of eldritch blast. Otherwise it becomes very difficult for warlocks to actually have access to it, since both their at-wills are chosen for them.

As it stands, I think the only people who can get that power are human warlocks, half-elf non-warlocks, and non-warlocks who paragon multiclass into warlock. This is probably not intended.

*Reads the sorcerer at-will.*

Wait, enemies provide cover to each other? Really? Uh, whoops.

*Reads the cleric utility.*

I like how you're more inspiring when you've had the crap kicked out of you.

I didn't notice anything particularly flagrant.

ukingsken

First Post
Well I totally get the flavor bhind being more inspiring once the crap is kicked out of you. It's like the general rallying the troops, it works right?!

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I think that's where all of Larinza's inspiration comes from, has to be, cuz she's really good at getting the crap kicked out of her.

I've not see anything bad in these would make character creation easier in the charactr builder when you don't have to remember not to pick these.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
So, Challenging Strike is unrelated to Divine Challenge, right? Meaning if a paladin marks someone with Challenging Strike, it's just the normal -2 to hit, and none of the paladin's other marking benefits?

Hunter's Teamwork seems kind of useless with Distant Advantage, but it's not overpowered.

Seems clear to me that Eldritch Strike is meant to replace Eldritch Blast - the actual miniature probably has wording to that effect which didn't make it into the compendium. (Anyone have a copy?) I note that this dovetails into the argument about Reaper's Touch - if you want to make a melee Warlock, you take Eldritch Strike and get a melee basic attack based on Cha or Con, instead of an Eldritch Blast delivered at melee range. (7 Rabbit might want to think hard about taking this.) In the Reaper's Touch thread I argued that it was already possible to make a really strong melee Warlock, and it was balanced by having to trade off taking OA's when using your powers at melee range; this dilutes this. Maybe that's not a problem, I dunno.

Chilling Cloud is an at-will with an Effect: line. How many others of those are there? I thought that was usually for dailies.

Hidden Blade has some nice interactions with double weapons - good thing we mostly banned them. Any other synergies (multiclass ranger or something) which will let a rogue use a super-powerful weapon as an off-hand? (It's not too powerful anyway: it's one free combat advantage per encounter.) Interesting that it requires you to be trained in Thievery: all rogues are. (Even if you multiclass in.) Hmm - for a multiclass rogue, you only get Sneak Attack once per encounter anyway, so you can just use this to negate any situational thinking and use a minor action to get CA for it. You're using up a power swap feat for that though, so that's not overpowered at all. Just interesting.

Ethereal Sidestep: Does this trigger combat challenge and other things that trigger on shift? I'd say no. So it's an uber-shift: ignores terrain and anything set up to stop shifts. And glass walls. Still needs LOS, right?

Moon_Goddess

Ethereal Sidestep: Does this trigger combat challenge and other things that trigger on shift? I'd say no. So it's an uber-shift: ignores terrain and anything set up to stop shifts. And glass walls. Still needs LOS, right?

That's how I read it, Uber-shift sounds good for a lvl10 utility, and yes, teleport requires LOS unless otherwise noted.

ukingsken

First Post
Yeah I got the same read off it as well.

And I'm not surprised theres not any problem with these. For the most part theyre pretty lackluster or on par. I just want to be able to have my bard ability when I make my bard. I'll admit to being selfish.

dimsdale

First Post
Can someone summarize the lvl 1 powers for those of us who don't have access. I love the game, but not to the point where I want to pay a monthly fee just to get the descriptions of new stuff. I'm still grieving at what I had to pay for PBH an PHB2!

Nah, now that I think about it, I'll buckle down and pay.

Can someone tell me the barbarian one though really quick. :)

Last edited:

Moon_Goddess

well you know if you'ld pay the small monthly fee, you wouldn't have to payed for phb2... just saying

the barbarian one is basically an MBA, that if he has dropped any non minion opponants to 0hp already this encounter, he does extra damage, and if raging the extra damage is more.

Last edited:

Remove ads