The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)

Brain

First Post
Vixo hurls his dagger at one of the dogs, trying to catch it off-guard.

[sblock=ooc]
Standard:ranged basic with dagger. combat advantage bonus cancelled by range penalty. (1d20+10=13, 1d4+5+2d8+3=24)
Move: shift 1 E
Minor: shift 1 E[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Vixo - Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception:17, Passive Insight:12, Senses: Normal
AC:17, Fortitude:14, Reflex:17, Will:12 -- Speed:6, Size: Small
HP: 33/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 9/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Current status effects: none
Powers -
Shifty (Minor action shift 1) [Kobold Racial]
Deft Strike [Rogue 1]
Riposte Strike [Rogue 1]

Dazing Strike[Rogue 1]
Multiclass Fighter Power [Student of the Sword Feat]

Blinding Barrage [Rogue 1]
Sneak in the Attack [Rogue 2]
[/sblock][/QUOTE]

RedBeardJim

First Post
*now, youngling, you are my hands again*
*If you say so.*

Morvannon raises his rod, and both it and his eyes flare a deep green as eldritch symbols of a matching hue glow on the skin of the nearer walking corpse. Then he levels his rod, and a bolt of purple-green energy slams into the undead creature, causing it to howl as the green symbols burn brighter.

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Warlock's Curse on the southern Clawed Corpse
Standard: Eldritch Blast on the southern Clawed Corpse: hits Reflex 20 for 18 total damage.
Move: none[/sblock]
[sblock="Mini stat"]Morvannon Rinael - Level 1 Half-Elf Warlock
Passive Perception:11, Passive Insight:18, Initiative:+0 Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fortitude:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:6, Size: Medium
HP: 27/27, Bloodied 13, Surge Value 6, Surges left 8/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Eldritch Blast
Eyebite
Warlock's Curse (minor)
Misty Step (Warlock Pact Boon)

Witchfire
Scorching Burst (Dilettante power)

Curse of the Dark Dream[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
The hound barely jumps aside as Vixo's dagger clangs off the stone wall behind it. Morvannons assault on the southern clawed corpse leaves a smoking hole in its chest, but the beast seems unfazed slavering and growling in rage as it's flesh sloughs off.

[sblock=Actions]
Vixo - Missed on standard ranged attack
Morvannon - Hit on southern clawed Corpse
[/sblock]
[sblock=Initiative]
Clawed Corpse N
Clawed Corpse S 18 Damage
Dog NW
Spirit N
Vixo HP:33/33 Surges:9/9 (8) AP:1 Def:17/14/17/12 SW:Unused
Morvannon HP:27/27 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Magnus HP:25/25 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused Your Turn
Spirit E
Slardazial
Kamotz HP:17/26 Surges:9/9 (6) AP:1 Def:17/14/10/16 SW:Unused Immob.
Grakk HP:28/33 Surges:13/13 (8) AP:1 Def:16/16/13/11 SW:Unused
Vrrsk't HP:29/29 Surges:12/12 (9) AP:1 Def:20/15/14/13 SW:Unused
Dog NE
Dog S
Bloated Corpse [/sblock]
[sblock=Map] Updated map is here[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Magnus, quickly shuffling, made a circling route round Morvannon to come at the walking corpses from a new direction. He raised a finger in a gesture of admonition.

No,no...this one is not for you...

With that, Magnus brought the butt of his staff down again against the stone floor of the chamber setting the keys to jangling. The sound grew in horrible ways, twisting and reverberating off itself in otherworldly tenor, washing over the undead creatures.

[sblock=ooc]

Minor: none
Move: South 2, East 1 in such a way as to avoid an OA.
Standard: Thunderwave to hit only the two clawed corpses that attacked Kamotz.
Thunderwave: Int vs Fort (Target Order: North One then South One) (1d20+5=14, 1d20+5=21)
Thunder Damage (1d6+5=9)
If hit, push the North One 2 north, and the South One 2 north and 1 northeast.

[/sblock]
[sblock=ministats]Magnus Madiron- Male Dwarven Wizard 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:5
HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1
Powers -
Cloud of Daggers
Thunderwave

Grasping Shadows
Staff of Defense
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere
Healing Word

Conditions:

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=ooc] That is a rotting rug, no it does not obstruct movement. Also I forget who it was that asked about Zal'Ekthees earlier but you remember reading about him once in a text referencing the kingdom of Jade. He is a demon who rose to be a minor deity and whose portfolio is linked strongly to undeath and the shadowrealms.
[/sblock]

Magnus sonic assault sends both clawed corpses screeching but the northern one seems to shake off its effects without much harm. The southern of the two thrashes it's head wildly, screeching and slavering as it digs furrows in it's own flesh as if trying to dig the sound out, staggering back under the assault.

The second spirit floats forward stopping just south of the first specter, adding to the cacophony of terror pouring from their ephemeral forms.

Looking at his minions and seeming satisfied for the moment Slardazial moves forward and plants himself directly in the center of the inscribed circle of runes that the spirits had floated overtop of previously. As he steps into the circle the runes flicker to life, seeming to feed off the negative energy being channeled by the scepter.

I see the Ghouls have already decided to make a meal of you fool priest. I offer you this one chance, forsake Lauto and join me! Join me in mastering death instead of serving it and together we can open the floodgates for Zal'Ekthees. You will find him a more grateful master then Lauto.

[sblock=Actions]
Spirit S - Move action to move to the square directly south of Spirit N

Slardazial - Move action & Standard action to move to the center of the rune circle[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative]

Ghoul N
Ghoul S 27 Damage (Bloodied)
Dog NW
Spirit N
Vixo HP:33/33 Surges:9/9 (8) AP:1 Def:17/14/17/12 SW:Unused
Morvannon HP:27/27 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Magnus HP:25/25 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Spirit S
Slardazial
Kamotz HP:17/26 Surges:9/9 (6) AP:1 Def:17/14/10/16 SW:Unused Immob. Your Turn
Grakk HP:28/33 Surges:13/13 (8) AP:1 Def:16/16/13/11 SW:Unused
Vrrsk't HP:29/29 Surges:12/12 (9) AP:1 Def:20/15/14/13 SW:Unused
Dog NE
Dog S
Bloated Corpse [/sblock]

[sblock=Map]Map is found here updated after adjudication[/sblock]

Edit: Fixed adjudication of Oni's action, map has been updated.

Last edited:

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
[sblock=blasts and bursts]
I read Blast as originating in your space (so your occupied square) and all squares of the blast being adjacent to the origin (so the 3x3 directly around you) You can retcon and try to get inbetween them in which case each of them could have an OA against you, or you can do something different. Unless of course my concept of blast is completely skewed but what you were thinking (moving south 2, east 1, and then only hitting the clawed corpses) would require a burst would it not?

I think you might have your blasts and bursts backwards. A close Burst 3 would originate in his square and hit everything within 3 (so a 7x7 grid). A close Burst 1 would be a 3x3 centered on him. A close Blast 3 is any 3x3 grid where at least one square of the area is touching the caster's square. See examples on PHB p. 272, specifically the one in the lower left.

[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=blasts and bursts]
I think you might have your blasts and bursts backwards. A close Burst 3 would originate in his square and hit everything within 3 (so a 7x7 grid). A close Burst 1 would be a 3x3 centered on him. A close Blast 3 is any 3x3 grid where at least one square of the area is touching the caster's square. See examples on PHB p. 272, specifically the one in the lower left.

I concur.
[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Excellent I'll retcon that up. I only had access to compendium not the PHB and thus no diagrams. As an aside read these two compendium entries and tell me if you would draw the same conclusion I drew? Or maybe I was just sleepy.

[sblock=Blast & Burst]Blast
A blast fills an area adjacent to you that is a specified number of squares on a side.

For example, the wizard power thunderwave is a Blast 3, which means the power affects a 3-square-by-3-square area adjacent to you.

The blast must be adjacent to its origin square, which is a square in your space. The origin square is not affected by the blast. A blast affects a target only if the target is in the blast’s area and if there is line of effect from the origin square to the target.

Burst
A burst starts in an origin square and extends in all directions to a specified number of squares from the origin square.

For example, the cleric power flame strike is a burst 2 within 10 squares of you, which means the power originates in a square up to 10 squares away from you and affects the origin square and every square within 2 squares of it (a 5-square-by-5-square area).

Unless a power description notes otherwise, a close burst you create does not affect you. However, an area burst you create does affect you. A burst affects a target only if there is line of effect from the burst’s origin square to the target.[/sblock]

So you can see how "The blast must be adjacent to its origin square, which is a square in your space." without a diagram could lead one to believe it had to be a square you occupied, especially since it doesn't effect it's origin square. Anyway glad we got it figured.

Edit: As an aside got home and got my books this morning. Wow compendium should add some diagrams because that would have avoided my confusion.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases