The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)

CaBaNa

First Post
*I can't move my legs! My arm is Torture!* Suddenly Kamotz dips out of consciousness again, overwhelmed by the shock of his injuries. Sparkling rays, a golden disk of light, wounds cauterized in the radiant brilliance. Kamotz, now feeling stiff, weary, half dead, lay fully conscious on the cool ground, purple light cascading over him.

*Now!* Scale grating, dirtying his new robes for the first time, Kamotz rolled-stood-rushed forward, dodging past the undead filth.

Holy symbol shining brightly from around the shifters neck, Kamotz made every effort to match the ferocity of Slardazial’s howl, then once again light began to shoot from the clerics eyes, mouth and fingertips.

Kamotz was prepared for the blessing of his Goddess, still moving forward the shifter paused just behind Vixo,

Vixo I am at your back. Light strobed as elongated jaws snapped open and closed, then causing the brief moment of coherence to be lost to him, Kamotz glanced Slardazial block Grakk's oncoming attack. Rage billowed at the audacity of Slardazial's attempt to defile the dead, along with the sight of the near dead Grakk fearlessly attacking his enemy. *None of these citizens wanted undeath, and you SHALL NOT MAKE THEM!!* Kamotz lost all semblance of rational thought, a white wall of rage thundered forward on a black train of thought.

Every hair on the tall wolf-like body stood on end, back arched, arms wide, head straight up, Kamotz finally matched Slardazial’s intensity, and then harmonized with his howl. A pillar of white light burst forth, starting from Kamotz mouth and then radiating out, encompassing everything within eight feet of the shifter. Inside that howl the undead withered, and the purple pulse was muted.

Kamotz allies could palpably feel the holy energy, and their wounds began to close healing at an astonishing rate, especially for Grakk. His body was restored to an almost pristine condition in the holy ambiance.

[sblock=OOC]

move stand from prone

standard-move- NE, NE, E, E, E (ends flanking vixo with slardazial)

AP- Beacon of Hope 16 to hit will on ghoul 21 to hit will on Slardazial, 19 to hit will on dog
If this hits the target is weakened until the end of it's next turn

Effect: Kamotz and all his allies within a close burst 3 of Kamotz regain 9 hit points (5 from power 4 from healers lore class feature, do not spend a healing surge.) And Kamotz' healing powers restore an additional 5 HP for the rest of the encounter.

Minor action healing word on Grakk, he can spend a healing surge and regains an additional 1d6+4+5 HP = 15 :D

Kamotz at 25 HP
Spent 1 healing surge (HW-Magnus)

Healed Vixo 9
Healed Grakk 24
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Grakk, near death feels the surge of healing energy roar through his veins. "Ohhhhh fallen cleric" Grakk says shaking his head slowly, with newly found fire and anger blazing in his eyes! "It is you who has under estimated our power. Time is drawing near until you cease to exist in this world. I only hope that I am the one who gets the honor of delivering your death blow with my blade!"

[sblock=ooc]

thank you Kamotz!

[/sblock]

[sblock=grakk stats]
Grakk: Goliath Barbarian: Level 1
Adverse Conditions: None
Initiative: +2
Passive Insight: 10
Passive Perception: 15
Senses Normal: Vision
HP 33 Currently: 25 hp
Bloodied 16
Surge Value 8; Surges Per-Day 13
AC =16
Fortitude 16 Reflex 13 Will 11 Speed 6
action Points:USED
second wind: Not Used
basic attack: Greatsword: To Hit: +7: Damage 1d10+6 (+10 when bloodhunt rage is active and bloodied): now raging
Powers
At will: Recuporating Strike, Devastating Strike
Encounter: Avalanche Strike [USED]
Encounter: Stone's Endurance
Swift Charge: USED
Daily Standard: Bloodhunt Rage [USED]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=Initiative]
Ghoul N 7 Damage Warlocks Curse
Vixo HP:10/33 (Bloodied) Surges:9/9 (8) AP:1 Def:17/14 /17/12 SW:Unused -2 AC Your Turn
Morvannon HP:27/27 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Magnus HP:25/25 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:0 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Slardazial Weakened
Grakk HP:23/29 Surges:12/13 (8) AP:0 Def:16/16/13/11 SW:Unused +4 to enemy attacks until SONT, Weakened, Immob.
Vrrsk't HP:29/29 Surges:10/12 (9) AP:1 Def:20/15/14/13 SW:Used +2 All Defenses EONT
Kamotz HP:25/26 Surges:8/9 (6) AP:0 Def:17/14/10/16 SW:Unused
Dog NE
Bloated Corpse [/sblock]

As radiance pours forth from Kamotz Slardazial, the remaining ghoul, and the rotting dog shy away trying to find shelter in the snarling purple radiance. However the light exploding out of Kamotz's every pore overwhelms the negative energy and limns the abominations in bright light, pushing back the unholy energy and sapping some of their strength.

Trying to consolidate his strength Slardazial waves his rod at the Rot Hound, turning it's attention towards Vixo. As Slardazial twirls his mace, coming first high then low, Vixo fails to notice the hound until its jaws clamp down on his leg. Revelling in the taste of living flesh the hound finally shakes off the debilitating holy light, it's form visibly swelling with the influx of negative energy.

Shuffling forward from the shadows and into the center of the rune circle, negative energy crackles upwards to infuse the Bloated Corpse with unholy light. Tearing a piece of bloated flesh from it's abdomen the Corpse sends it flying into Grakks side where it explodes in a soul wrenching shower of putrescence. As the putrid flesh worms its way under his armor Grakk can feel the unholy taint leeching both his vitality and strength.

Round 3

Also responding to Slardazials summons the remaining ghoul flees the group of spellcasters and charges towards Grakk, his glowing form a beacon. In an effort to put Grakk between itself and Slardazial the ghoul leaves itself exposed to his deadly sword. Spinning around Grakk's blade whistles just over the Ghouls head as it drops to all fours and scurries into position. Still weak from Kamotz's holy burst it's claws dig a shallow cut in Grakk's leg, once again pouring it's foul essence into his blood and stiffening his legs.

Shaking it's head side to side in frenzied elation the Ghoul finally dislodges the holy light, once more empowered by the crackling negative energy that now extends down the hallway and beyond the intersection.

Surely you can see that even now my victory is nigh! By the time I am done with you I will command a legion of undead, as this entire district rises from the grave to serve my master!

[sblock=Actions]Dog NE (1d20+4=23)
Dog NE - Move action to flank Vixo from the NW
Standard action to Attack Vixo (hit Ref) 3 damage

Bloated Corpse (1d20+10=24, 2d6+2=7) Note I forgot the +4 from Slardazials atk last round and added it after rolling on IC even though it hits either way.
Bloated Corpse - Move action to center of Rune Circle
Standard action to attack Grakk (hit Ref) 7 Damage, Weakened (save ends)

Grakk Opportunity (1d20+7=18, 1d10+10=14)
Grakk - Opportunity action to attack Ghoul (miss AC)

Ghoul Attack (1d20+12=28, 1d6+3=4)
Ghoul - Move action to move SE, SE, E, E, E, E and Flank Grakk
Standard action to attack Grakk (Hit AC) 4/2=2 Damage, Immobolized (save ends)[/sblock]

[sblock=map]Updated map is here.[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC] This is why I love 4th edition so much. Combat feels so very dynamic. Last time I took a big chunk of actions I was worried I might end up rocking out a TPK, and now I'm sitting here watching Slardazial pull his resources back because he feels threatened. In 3rd edition you never had so much back and forth, and I feel like it really makes for more exciting battles.

As an aside how do you guys feel about the descriptive combat text? I try to make things interesting, but I sometimes worry whether or not some things come off as tacky, or if you think that all my descriptive text indicates a mechanical effect. Just an example is the negative energy infusing them, they arent any stronger then theyd be if I'd put them in a musty tomb but I like the mood that it builds, especially the negative energy warring with Kamotz's holy spell. Thoughts (I'm always looking for feedback so I can improve)?[/sblock]

Brain

First Post
Vixo stabs Slardizal and easily moves out of the way of the hound, then with an extra burst of swiftness hurls his dagger at the eyes of his enemies. With a satisfied smile, he responds to the evil cleric's boasts. "Look again at your victory. Oh wait, you can't see! That's what defeat looks like.

[sblock=actions]
Standard: dazing strike on Slardizal from flanking. if it hits, he is dazed until the end of vixo's next turn. (1d20+12=21, 1d4+5+2d8+3=17)
Move: Shift S
Minor: Shift S
Action Point (standard): Blinding Barrage on Slardizal and dog (close blast 3 to the north of vixo's position after the shift). first roll is to hit vs slardizal assuming the dazing strike hit (combat advantage due to daze). then dmg, then roll to hit the dog. (1d20+12=29, 2d4+5=8, 1d20+10=25) also if they are hit, blinded until end of vixo's next turn. if miss, half dmg.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Vixo - Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception:17, Passive Insight:12, Senses: Normal
AC:17, Fortitude:14, Reflex:17, Will:12 -- Speed:6, Size: Small
HP: 10/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 9/9
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
Current status effects: none
Powers -
Shifty (Minor action shift 1) [Kobold Racial]
Deft Strike [Rogue 1]
Riposte Strike [Rogue 1]

Dazing Strike[Rogue 1]
Multiclass Fighter Power [Student of the Sword Feat]

Blinding Barrage[Rogue 1]
Sneak in the Attack [Rogue 2]
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=OOC]

Kamotz is supposed to be standing where the dog is... So that vixo couldn't have been flanked, and his burst hit all targets described.

I really like the descriptive text, I sent some experience points earlier, but you may have missed that.

EDIT: However I'd like it if you started signifying whether an effect is TENT or (Save ends).

EDIT 2: Also if the map had coordinates, it would be easier to describe where our characters happened to be located.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Yeah coordinates would have been nice and are normally something I do, but when we first got into combat I didn't have time to do it up and after the fact it seemed like we were doing ok. As for when effects end I've been trying to show that when they get incurred but I can easily add them all onto the initiative list as well :D

Also sorry for missing your move, I am fallible. The dog hits anyway, but I'll update the map to fix my error.

I definitely got them and appreciated them. It's nice to feel like even something like this, which I kind of threw together in an evening is working well :D

I'd just like to say in kind that all of you are exceeding my expectations as far as playing your characters. I feel like all of you have so well captured your characters here in this fight. I love seeing top notch RP happening whether I'm part of it or Dm'ing it.[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative]
Ghoul N 7 Damage Warlocks Curse
Vixo HP:10/33 (Bloodied) Surges:9/9 (8) AP:1 Def:17/14 /17/12 SW:Unused -2 AC (EO Slardazials NT)
Morvannon HP:27/27 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused Your Turn
Slardazial 25 Damage Weakened (EONT), Dazed (EO Vixo's NT), Blinded (EO Vixo's NT)
Grakk HP:23/29 Surges:12/13 (8) AP:0 Def:16/16/13/11 SW:Unused +4 to enemy Atk. Rolls (SONT), Weakened (Save ends), Immob. (Save ends)
Vrrsk't HP:29/29 Surges:10/12 (9) AP:1 Def:20/15/14/13 SW:Used +2 All Defenses (EONT)
Bloated Corpse[/sblock]

Vixo's manages to wrench his dagger up under the edge of Slardazial's leather armor, pushing it hilt deep into his side. Inexplicably when he pulls his dagger back it's dry, as if the purple radiance has lent Slardazial the strength of the dead themselves. Still the wound obviously pains him, letting out an incoherent shout as he drops to a knee in pain.

Uses his small stature to his advantage, Vixo scurries to the south, putting both the hound and Slardazial in his sights. With a dizzying display of speed he launches a flurry of daggers at the hound and Slardazial. One sinks hilt deep into the hounds eye, dropping it instantly. The other leaves a deep wound above Slardazials eye, this one again bleeding lightly but still enough to obscure his vision.

Blood clouding his eyes, barely keeping his feet under, Slardazial all the sudden seems much less certain of his victory.

May the Lord of Dead Shadows flay the scales from your worthless bones!! I will feast on your flesh and then animate your bones so that I can PULVERIZE THEM!!!

Slardazials eyes begin darting around wildly, seeking something or anything through the slow moving torrent of blood pouring from his brow.

[sblock=map]Updated map is here. That should be all fixed up now, let me know if there's still a problem.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

I'm going to go ahead and post my turn to keep up the momentum, I figure none of my actions should affect Morvannon's actions.

[/sblock]

Magnus edged closer to the melee.

Take away it source...its center...will the pattern collapse...

He looked at the blinded in priest, head cocked in consideration for a moment before raising his staff. Slowly he began to move it as though stirring the air, as his movements increased in speed the space around to Slardazial began to fragment and the little slivers started to crystallize. Like a school of tiny ravenous fish they churned through the air around the wayward priest, reflecting and refracting the purple light off in all directions.

[sblock=ooc]

minor: none
move: NE, E, E, E
Cloud of Daggers: Int vs Ref (1d20+5+2=18)
Force Damage (1d6+5=10)
Effect: The power’s area is filled with sharp daggers of force. Any creature that enters the area or starts its turn there takes force damage equal to your Wisdom modifier (3 Damage). The cloud remains in place until the end of your next turn. You can dispel it earlier as a minor action.

[/sblock]
[sblock=ministats]Magnus Madiron- Male Dwarven Wizard 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:5
HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 0
Powers -
Cloud of Daggers
Thunderwave

Grasping Shadows
Staff of Defense
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere
Healing Word

Conditions:

Full character sheet[/sblock]

Last edited:

RedBeardJim

First Post
[sblock=ooc]It looks like you still have a dog up on the map, I think they're all dead now.[/sblock]

Morvannon's eyes narrow as Slardazial reels under Vixo's attack. Then they blaze a brilliant green as he turns towards the ghoul, erasing his image from its sight.

*yesss.....now*
*Now what?!*
*take the corruptor*

Morvannon strides to Slardazial's side, carrying the clinging shadows with him as he goes. Green symbols flare on the priest's face as the half-elf whispers a guttural, echoing phrase. Nightmarish images from the depths of the Feywild assault Slardazial's mind as he staggers away.

[sblock=Actions]Standard: Eyebite vs. Ghoul N: hits Will 24 for 6 psychic damage, and Morvannon is invisible to the ghoul until start of my next turn
Move: NE, NE, NE, NE, E, coming to rest directly west of Slardy (Shadow Walk concealment remains until EONT)
Minor: Warlock's Curse on Slardy
Action point: Standard: Curse of the Dark Dream against Slardy (with +2 from dazed, +3 from Action Surge and +1 from Prime Shot): hits Will 22 for 22 psychic damage, and Slardy is slid 1 square south on a hit[/sblock]

[sblock="Mini stat"]Morvannon Rinael - Level 1 Half-Elf Warlock
Passive Perception:11, Passive Insight:18, Initiative:+0 Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fortitude:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:6, Size: Medium
HP: 27/27, Bloodied 13, Surge Value 6, Surges left 8/8
Action Points: 0, Second Wind: not used
Powers -
Eldritch Blast
Eyebite
Warlock's Curse (minor)
Misty Step (Warlock Pact Boon)

Witchfire
Scorching Burst (Dilettante power)

Curse of the Dark Dream[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=OOC]

Sweet!

All the updates look great ukingsken, I've really enjoyed the adventure and all that has come with it.

Thanks for the great opportunity to solidify Kamotz character concept.

@Oni: The power descriptions are Boss. Keep it up!
[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
[sblock=Initiative]
Ghoul N 13 Damage Warlocks Curse
Vixo HP:10/33 (Bloodied) Surges:9/9 (8) AP:1 Def:17/14 /17/12 SW:Unused -2 AC (EO Slardazials NT)
Morvannon HP:27/27 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:0 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused Invisible to Ghoul (SONT), Concealment (EONT)
Slardazial 60 Damage Dazed (EO Vixo's NT), Blinded (EO Vixo's NT) Warlocks Curse
Grakk HP:23/29 Surges:12/13 (8) AP:0 Def:16/16/13/11 SW:Unused Weakened (Save ends), Immob. (Save ends) Your Turn
Vrrsk't HP:29/29 Surges:10/12 (9) AP:1 Def:20/15/14/13 SW:Used +2 All Defenses (EONT)
Bloated Corpse[/sblock]

The ghoul shies away from Morvannon's piercing gaze and then twists it's head impossibly far searching for the now vanished warlock. Striding boldly forward, Morvannon etches green runes upon Slardazial's skin marking him for pain. Already dizzy from Vixo's assault, Slardazial grasps his temples and roars in abject terror, scuttling to the south as his eyes lock onto something he sees standing right in Kamotz's place.

THIS IS NOT REAL!! YOU ARE NOT SO POWERFUL!! WHY HAS MY LORD FORSAKEN MEEEE??!!!

As the tiny shards of reality stab into Slardazial he seems to come back to reality, beginning to growl deep in his throat, before loosing a roar that would shame dragons.

GRAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Blind me, stab me, flay the very skin from my bones and still my master will raise me up to punish you insolent whelps!!! I will endure and you will be PUNISHED!!

Gathering his willpower, blood still streaming into his eyes, Slardazial brings both hands up to his tusks slicing the palms ritualistically and flinging blood on the ground to the north and south. As he does so the Scepter flashes bright blinding each of you as a sound like thunder rolls through the room. When the light recedes you gaze in awe as two specters rise up through the boiling puddles of Slardazial's blood on the floor. Unlike the ones you fought earlier, these spirits wear armor and weapons. Notably the southern of the two clutches a greatsword of Archaic design while the northern spirit wears an exceptionally crafted suit of ephemeral plate mail.

Clenching and unclenching his fists, you watch as the cuts close themselves and Slardazial smiles.

If you thought this was over you were sadly mistaken.

[sblock=Actions]
Slardazial - Standard action to summon two spirit warriors[/sblock]

[sblock=map] Updated map is here. One of these days I'll do a big post like this without making any silly screw ups. Until then just keep at me :D[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases