The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)

ukingsken

First Post
The Long Arm of Lauto: Broken Wards

A blasphemous underpriest of the church of Lauto has betrayed his brothers. An artifact normally used to renew the wards in Daunton’s Mausoleum is being turned to a nefarious purpose. The church, in an effort to keep this from spreading among the clergy has hired outsiders to complete the task. They will travel into the Mausoleum, find the undercroft, and retrieve the artifact. Whether or not the offending priest survives to face justice or not is inconsequential.

Things We Probably All Know But I’ll Say Anyway

• I’d like to see a post from each player 1 a day in an ideal world. That being said I am very conscious of real life often interfering with that, so don’t worry about it unless you’ll have a prolonged Hiatus (more then 2 days).
  • If you are going to disappear for a few days just let me know and I’ll NPC your character.
  • I am not perfect (Shocking I know!!). I often do my posting without access to my books so if I ever make a rules related slip up, smack me in the proverbial face and tell me so. Although in my own defense I am getting better and do it much less often.
  • All rolls should be done on invisible castle. If for some reason its unavailable for a short time we can just wait. In the case of a prolonged unavailability there are other options.
  • Try and stick to one color for your characters voice. This seems to have already happened without conflict so it shouldn’t be a problem.
  • Have fun! It’s a game, and I assume we all play because we love it, so lets enjoy this and hopefully you get some phat lootz and I get to smash some PC’s (not to death of course...just close :D).

Players

Grakk Barbarian 1
Vrrsk’t Paladin 1
Morvannon Rinael Warlock 1
Vixo Rogue 2
Kamotz Cleric 1
Magnus Madiron Wizard 1

[sblock=ooc] Any judges? Anyone interested?[/sblock]

Last edited:

Brain

First Post
Vixo squints and looks around at the surroundings in the mausoleum.

[sblock=ooc]what's the lighting situation like? Vixo can't sneak if he's holding a light source so I'd prefer someone (at least one) to carry a light if the tunnels aren't lit already[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Vixo - Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception:17, Passive Insight:12, Senses: Normal
AC:17, Fortitude:14, Reflex:17, Will:12 -- Speed:6, Size: Small
HP: 33/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 9/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Current status effects: none
Powers -
Shifty (Minor action shift 1) [Kobold Racial]
Deft Strike [Rogue 1]
Riposte Strike [Rogue 1]

Dazing Strike[Rogue 1]
Multiclass Fighter Power [Student of the Sword Feat]

Blinding Barrage [Rogue 1]
Sneak in the Attack [Rogue 2]
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Grakk stands at the enterance. His heart pounds like it did before fights between rival tribes. He takes a deep breath "Here we go Grakk", grips the hilt of his greatsword tightly and steps in and has a look at the surrounding area...

[sblock=ooc]
perception check: 1d20+5=24
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
*stupid, STUPID, I shouldn't have said anything before I completed the task. He won't even acknowledge me... And now he's already dismissing me. I don't want to spend the money to stay at the inn, I've yet to get a horse, I don't want to camp again, fleas... Have to pay a wizard to clean me up again... greedy lot, except for Magnus there, he's mad though. Just have to complete this task, maybe if I capture the priest and execute him in the way Vrrsk't describes, the High Priest would show some favor!*

Head bowed, hands together, palms touching, the shifter walked in silence until Belingras was out of ear shot and eye line.

This is a Great Honor. Take everything in. Try not to touch too much, if you defile it, bring it with you. I'll do my best to get things purified and returned to their proper places. If you aren't superstitious, do what you like. The Temple believes you will get your justice in the end. As everyone goes before Death. Slardy is our top priority, sight seeing can be done on the way back, if anyone would like. I know I'd love to explore a bit!

[sblock=OOC]

22 diplomacy to sway the group to hurry along and not touch things.

22 perception to notice valuable or informational tidbits

7 dungeoneering to keep with the direction and avoid pitfalls

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
As Belingras opens the door, he puts his hand on Kamotz shoulder and leans in close.

Fret not, the church cares for its own. Perform admirably then speak with me after.

With one final look Belingras proceeds back up the stairs. Ahead of you the Mausoleum stretches off into the distance. Every 45 or 50 feet a pale crystal is affixed to the wall, shimmering with a dim arcane radiance. Glyphs crawl up and down the walls, and the walls are regularly broken by passages or heavy doors of iron all adorned in similar fashion with large, heavy locks.

Kamotz and Grakk both notice that the floor shows layers of dust built up over the years. The dust looks to be recently disturbed heading off in the direction indicated by Belingras.

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Vrrsk't eyes the long corridor ahead. If there is no lighting, he will light and carry a sunrod (making a big deal about bringing the brilliant radiance of Apoli to this dark place). Otherwise, he will move in, trying to remember the directions: "pass ten intersections, then right, then left."

"I suggest we let the little one scout ahead. Kamotz, this is your domain; any particular hazards we should be on the lookout for?"

[sblock=Skill checks]
History (+6): 22
Religion (+4): 13

To see if he knows anything himself.
[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
Heads up, eyes wide. whispers Kamotz, Vixo can scout in front if he so chooses, otherwise our stealthiest members should lead.

The shifter continued down the hall, full of purpose, eager to please the Temple, hardly noticing the way some of the dust seemed to swirl, almost spiral, around Slardy's footprints.

dimsdale

First Post
Grakk speaks in a low voice to the palidan and the warlock. "Hmmmf...Is this the right battle tactic? I'm not used to sneaking around. I prefer the brute force approach, rushing our enemies like a bull and taking no prisoners." He pauses for a second and then states: "Of course, I'm used to traveling solo. The team approach is new to me. I will observe and learn from this approach."

Noticing that he is the only one talking at this point, Grakk stops. As the group moves forward, Grakk senses tell him that confrontation is coming soon. He smiles, ready to unleash his fury to those who stand against him and his fellow adventurers.

Oni

First Post
Magnus eyed the entrance with something akin to trepidation. Carefully he stepped up to hit, reaching out his hand as though it might lash out at him. Slowly, gingerly he ran his hand along the cool, hard surface of the frame.

The cusp, the cusp...here at this strange divide we stand...between the land of the living...and the land of the dead...

Closing his eyes, Magnus stepped through the doorway with a grimace. On the other side he opened one eye and looked around and then the other. Having not succumb to whatever terror he had imagined he seemed remember his purpose.

Tick tock, tick tock...must hurry lest the dead cross back across the threshold...

As he spoke he carefully tucked the bundle he'd been carrying all this time in a corner and then followed the others down the hallway, his staff and stubby legs patting out a broken rhythm. While they moved his studied the glyphs and markings on the walls of the massive mausoleum.

[sblock=ooc]

Magnus is looking for any signs of glyphs having had the functions altered or other signs of occult tampering.

Arcana (1d20+9=18)
Religion (1d20+9=25)

[/sblock]
[sblock=ministats]Magnus Madiron- Male Dwarven Wizard 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:5
HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1
Powers -
Cloud of Daggers
Thunderwave

Grasping Shadows