[4e] covaithe's E1: Death's Reach

covaithe

Explorer
[title]the background[/title]

For months, dreams have plagued your sleep; snatches of flickering images quickly forgotten on waking, save for a lingering memory of terror and helplessness -- sensations unpleasant and unwelcome for a being of your experience and power. But the fragmented memories are too vague to use for divinations, and your more mundane source reveal only the usual crises. The dreams are unexplained. In time, they fade.

Then, one night, you dream again. More vivid, more immediately real than before. You somehow know that this time, you will not forget on waking. The images rush over you, both familiar and new:

A temple on a mist-covered mountain, tall and still in pearly luminescence. A thousand ravens wheel above it in perfect silence.

A warrior in coal-black armor pounds at a sealed doorway with an enormous hammer. Against a mirrored altar, his shield rests: on a field of crimson, a black dragon's head.

You yourself, locked in battle against a dragon with scales like obsidian. Your comrades are cut down one by one, while ghosts wail in agony.

A series of seven locked gates. As your hand reaches toward the first, a sound startles you, and you turn...

A desolate plain beneath a leaden sky. You watch helplessly as a great black rock the size of a moon hurtles toward you; an impact the world will not survive.

Blackness, and a falling sensation. Acceleration, and anticipation as you race down, faster and faster, toward your heart's fondest dream. Then, disaster and despair: the way is blocked.

You wake, the dream fresh and vivid in your mind. This time, though, instead of helplessness, you feel determination.

[title]The details[/title]

This is the OOC thread for my E1: Death's Reach game. Characters start at 21st level. If we get through this, I expect they'll get to 24th or so.

Standard 22 point buy, standard starting wealth.

Sources are published WotC books. Things from Dragon or published adventures or preview material are on a case-by-case basis; ask me.

The setting is the generic nameless D&D setting described in the core books. Feel free to be creative in your character backgrounds. You're epic characters, and you'll have left a strong impression on the world in the process of rising to the top. At the same time, do leave some room to grow. :)

Players:

Atanatotatos: Barb/fighter?
CaBaNa: Wizard?
renau1g: ?
Oni: ?
Sessadore: ?

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll update as needed.

CaBaNa

First Post
Cheers,

I'm likely to play an Eladrin Wizard multiclassed (poss. hybrid if allowed) as a Cleric of the Raven Queen. Divine Oracle Paragon, and Archlich Epic. I've been hoping to make a party friendly Controller, just like this one, for a while, and this is the best opportunity yet!

Anyone else have a good idea of who their character will be?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Hmmm ... I might be leaning towards a paladin (multiclass cleric?) of the Raven Queen. Because, well, let's face it - making another avenger would be a little ridiculous. Or perhaps I'll multi into avenger. Who knows, I'm brainstorming. I might make him a full cleric (and possibly multiclass to paladin?) instead, if no one else has a leader they want to play.

Not sure if I would do Str or Cha focus for a paladin yet - it would be nice to see what's in Divine Power, but it looks like that's out of reach for now - or what race. A Str/Wis race would be good if I want to multi to avenger or take ranged cleric powers, but we'll see. Though using a fullblade fluffed as a big scythe would be fantastic (and I know I'm totally stealing that idea from Kamotz, but I've always wanted to play a reaper-esque follower of the death god/goddess ;))

Edit: Now, this idea just struck me, but I quite like the idea: A paladin of the Raven Queen, multiclassed dark pact warlock for more deathly dark flavouring. Could go Cha all the way for that combo ... maybe a blue- or black-scaled dragonborn? That could be really fun, assuming someone covers the leader role. If no one else wants to be the leader, though, I would still really enjoy playing the cleric.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Double ditto -- I've not had an opportunity to play at this level, and would be very keen to participate. Give me a role and I'll fill it! Fighter? Sorcerer? Paladin? Invoker?

Thanks! KS.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
So, I was just wondering what you want to do about the Weapon Expertise and Implement Expertise feats. Were you planning on handing out the bonus for free like we're doing in L4W, or do we need to take the feat? ;)

covaithe

Explorer
Are you recruiting or are you full?

I'd like to take 6 characters at the start, and 5 of the spots are already promised. So, yes, I'm recruiting one more spot. The players who already have spots will get a say in who gets the last spot.

So, I was just wondering what you want to do about the Weapon Expertise and Implement Expertise feats. Were you planning on handing out the bonus for free like we're doing in L4W, or do we need to take the feat? ;)

Good question. What I think I'd like to do is go with the L4W free bonus, but ask that you consider using the extra feat to make your character more unique and interesting, not necessarily just more powerful.

For those who don't follow L4W, that means that Weapon and Implement Expertise feats aren't allowed, but instead everyone gets a flat +1 bonus to attack roll starting at level 5, and increasing to +2 at level 15 and +3 at level 25.

Remove ads