What do you like to see at conventions?

Ciarrai

First Post
I need your help. I help run <a href="http://www.iconsf.org">I-CON</a>, a sci-fi convention here on Long Island, NY. Although I have been involved with I-CON for years, this is my first year working with the gaming department. The people who have run gaming in the past are either out of contact or really incompetant and so I don't have much feedback on what has worked in the past as far as what games to feature, what guests to invite and what kinds of other programming to plan. The only information that I have is my own impressions and some vauge grumbling from people that I know.

What I need from you is some idea of what you would like to see at a convention. That way, I am not just going on my personal preferences.

Things that I need to know:

#1. Your favorite RPG's (besides D&D)
#2. Your favorite CCG's
#3. Your favorite minature / wargames
#4. What kinds of programming do you attend at cons?
<li>Games, </li>
<li>Tournaments / Contests, </li>
<li>Panel Discussions, </li>
<li>Guests Speech / Signing, </li>
<li>Workshop / Demonstration</li>

#5. What topics would you be interested in?
<li>The Gaming Industry: trends, new and up coming products, how to break into the business, etc.</li>
<li>D20 Games and Open Source Gaming</li>
<li>Game Design and Development: Writing, playtesting, and producing new games. </li>
<li>For Game Masters Only: plot development, creating / running NPC's, handling problem players, encouraging role playing, tips and tricks of the trade, etc.</li>
<li>Player Forums: creating better characters, role playing, resources and inspiration, etc.</li>
<li>Tools and Software: programs and resources for players and DMs. </li>
<li>Minature, Terrain Costumes and Props: Professional tips and tricks, learn to make your own.</li>
<li>Gaming Culture: discussions by gamers, for gamers and about gamers. Includes Women in Gaming, Gamer Stereotypes, Gaming Advocacy, etc. </li>

#6. What kind of guests would you be interested in seeing?
<li>Game designers and developers</li>
<li>Game / Gaming fiction writers </li>
<li>Game / Gaming fiction artists</li>
<li>Minature / Terrain artists (sculptors, painters, etc)</li>
<li>Members of Gaming Companies, Organizations, Publications, or Online Communities
<li>Other</li>

#7. Do you have any specific guests that you would like to see? If so, who?

#8. Do you know anyone in the Long Island area that would be interested in helping us coordinate LARPs?

#9. Any other comments or suggestions.

#10. Have you ever GMed at a con? If so, what did you get for doing it?
<li> Fun </li>
<li>Free Entry to the convention</li>
<li>Discounted Entry to the convention</li>
<li>Free T-Shirt</li>
<LI>Food</li>

Thanks. Your help is greatly appreciated and will help us plan the best gaming I-CON has ever had!

Crothian

First Post
#1. Your favorite RPG's (besides D&D): Parania, Palladium, orginal CoC, d6 Star Wars, and the new Buffy RPG

<li>Games, </li>
<li>Tournaments / Contests, </li>
<li>Panel Discussions, </li>
<li>Guests Speech / Signing, </li>
<li>Workshop / Demonstration</li>

All of the Above.

#5. What topics would you be interested in?
<li>The Gaming Industry: trends, new and up coming products, how to break into the business, etc.</li>
<li>D20 Games and Open Source Gaming</li>

Both of these topics I try to go to.

#6. What kind of guests would you be interested in seeing?
<li>Game designers and developers</li>
<li>Game / Gaming fiction writers </li>

I like to hear from the creators and have them talk about their products. It gives one good insight into using them and allows one to understand were the author was coming from.

#7. Do you have any specific guests that you would like to see? If so, who?

With out a doubt, the best speakers year in and year out are the guys from Hex Games. They are a small gaming company out of Kentucky and they truely make sur eeveryone has fun. I've been to many of their Panel Discussions and played in games they've run.

<li> Fun </li>

I've only done it a few times, and I did it for fun. I have gotten free acces to the con or had the comapny who's game I was running give me some signed books (that really surprised me), but I never required any compinsation.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I just counted - I've been to 56 cons over 11 years! Ooooooooh. :D

The first thing I look for is RPGA games. I prefer Classic events with pre-gen characters; more people (the ratio is about 3:1) prefer the Living events where you bring your own PC.

I like cons because they offer me a chance to play games I can't at home. Thus, I try to play stuff in addition to D&D, things like CoC and Paranoia.

It's important to have separate space set up for CCGs and RPGs. CCGs are probably best in a big room, at long tables. TPGs need a lot more quiet, so sticking a lot of tables into one big room is a bad idea. Some RPG judges might want to take their tables to their hotel room to play if it's too loud.

I personally seldom atend cons for anything other than gaming, but that's sure not true with everyone. That being said, your list of potential topics is really good, and seems quite interesting.

I know a lot of people who run cons. If you want me to put you in touch with them for advice, please email me.

I've GMed at most of the cons I've attended. I usually do so for fun, free entry to the con (discounted if you're only running 1 or 2 games), and a free T shirt I never wear and couldn't care less about. I'd love to do it for food!

Hope this helps,

Ciarrai

First Post
Thanks. Keep em coming.

Thanks for the feedback! This is going to help a lot.

One thing I should probably mention is that I-CON is not a hotel based con. It takes place on a university campus. We used seperate rooms for CCGs, Wargaming and RPGs last year. Mostly by taking over big common rooms in the Student Union. We used classrooms for LARPs and had computer labs for the e-gaming and a lounge for the console gaming.

This year, we are having issues with the administration of the campus and might have to consolodate. I am thinking, if possible of taking a big ballroom that has room dividers and using half for CCGs and half for Wargaming but that is only if we can't get better facilities.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Piratecat said:

Do you think Ciarrai will look good in one?

Ahem...

The only person allowed to speculate on what Ciarrai might look like in a chainmail bikini is her husband. That's ME. (I'm also her partner-in-crime for I-Con Gaming.)

Make one more comment like that and I'll report you to the moderators! (What would Eric's Grandmother say?!?)

--Charwoman Gene, God(dess) of Confusion and Gender Ambiguity

JDragon

Explorer
I would check other Cons(websites) that use the same type venue as your talking about for set up. Most should have a contact email, and I think most would be willing to talk to you.

#1. Your favorite RPG's (besides D&D)
Don't play much other than D&D, sorry.

#3. Your favorite minature / wargames
A little Classic Battletech, thats about it.

Games, Tournaments - Always look thru the seminars & speakers that a con has but seem to end up in games or sleeping the whole time.

#5. / #6. / #7. - see above.

#9. Any other comments or suggestions. - See below

The one Con I GM at, you get in for free. Getting a T-Shirt would be cool too :D

I would try and get a couple people to help you and divide up the different types of games so each of you can focus on one area.

As for the space, the best part about the con that I attend is the seperate rooms for Con Sponsered RPG's, then you don't have to shout so the guy on the other side of your table can hear you.

I don't know if you'll be able to do it since your at school, but a dealers room is always good.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

JDragon

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Charwoman Gene said:

Ahem...

The only person allowed to speculate on what Ciarrai might look like in a chainmail bikini is her husband. That's ME.

Heh! I assumed that Ciarrai was a guy. That'll teach me.

Remove ads