New Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I assumed that Georg had the journal & other notes with him as he was going to cast the Comprehend Languages spell, but JNC offered an alternative. I asked Georg to ask 7 Rabbit to help him translate the documents. Anyone can ask him for help if you'd like.
[/sblock]

As Georg, Raiyek, Carolina and Kruk are gathered at a table, Kruk asks Georg if he can see the journal. After inspecting it for traps and secret doors, carefull not to tear the pages, Kruk sighs and then shouts to 7-Rabbit. "7-Rabbitt, can you read what this says? It's written in a language that none of us can read...Heck, I can't even read at all. We'd be grateful if you could translate it for us." Kruk looks at the rest of the group for approval as he hands the book to 7-Rabbit.

Tinwe

First Post
Grim walks through the doors of the tavern, stooping as he does so. "Still stuck on that old journal, I see... Here, Kruk, take a look at these javelins I picked up. Think they'll fly true?"

[sblock=OOC] Just poking my head in and making my presence known. Grim is totally up for this adventure, but I'll be traveling today through Thursday. If someone needs to choose an action for Grim in that time, [/COLOR]just go ahead.[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"7-Rabbitt, can you read what this says? It's written in a language that none of us can read...Heck, I can't even read at all. We'd be grateful if you could translate it for us."

A book? Bell's head snapped up and over to the group sitting at the table. In some kind of strange language too! Oh I knew I should have spent more time on languages! It just takes soooo long and if I focus on one thing in the library I always seem to get so sleepy. . . She almost could feel the sleepiness just thinking about it and she shook her head hard to wave it away, her hood flying back again in the process.

This 7 Rabbit fellow must be a grand scholar if they're asking him. She looked at the dwarf curiously. I wonder if he takes pupils. . .

She pushed her hood back up and instead took a seat a table near the group, setting her still full mug of ale down as well, determined to see if the man could accomplish the task.

Phoenix8008

First Post
Soldier looks at Kama'zer's new shield and cloak with amazement and says, "Nice new shield and cloak, Kama'zer, are they magical?"

Looking up after seemingly being lost in thought herself, the Githyanki answers her warforged comrade "Yes, they are. A little more protection after dealing with that fire. And my former cloak had too many burn holes in it."

Looking around her with alarm that she could have missed so much change while unfocused, she comments to the warforged with barely disguised anxiety, "It has become alarmingly crowded within these walls."

Oni

First Post
Hmm...I guess that would be too easy *hic*

Not finding herself inundated with job offers she examined the room again. Spotting the postings she grinned and chuckled to herself. Wobbling a little, Lily made her away across the room to the board where she peered closely at the handbills posted there with wide eyes. Coming to one in particular her eyes narrowed as she studied it.

Hmm...

After a moment Lily pulled out a small coin purse, looked inside, and then gave out a small sigh followed by a hiccup. She carefully tucked away her financial woes and then, face brightening, she turned and waved at the barkeep.

Excuse me! Mr. Barkeeper! Do you know where I can find Captain Yurian, she asked in a cheerful sing song voice.

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
Grim walks through the doors of the tavern, stooping as he does so. "Still stuck on that old journal, I see... Here, Kruk, take a look at these javelins I picked up. Think they'll fly true?"

Kruk turns to Grim, "Well hey there Grim! Looks like we'll be off as soon as 7-Rabbit takes a look at the book. I may not know anything about books, but I see that those javelins look very nice...very nice indeed." Kruk gives the bugbear a forearm shiver as dwaves of his clan do when greeting a friend.

Last edited:

RedBeardJim

First Post
Grakk is just about to enter the tavern, but then sees Vrrsk't and Morvannon heading out. The dragonborn bumps him, motioning him to follow, which he does. He turns to Morvannon and asks "What's going on?"

Morvannon grins. "Kamotz got a new weapon, and asked Vrrsk't to teach him how to use it. Care to make a wager on the amount of property damage?"

JoeNotCharles

First Post
7 Rabbit perks up. "Oh, a mystery!" He takes the book and scrutinizes it. "Yes, I recognize this... That means... no, wait, maybe not. Hmm." He looks up. "Don't worry, I'm sure I can translate this. Just give me a moment..."

[sblock=OOC]I'm pretty sure renau1g told me what this is supposed to say, but I can't find the mail anywhere...[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
My current adventure will need a leader, current party will be lvl 3 fighter, lvl 3 paladin, lvl 1 wizard, lvl 1 rogue, level 1 TWF ranger (the lvl 1's will most likely level up fairly early in the adventure, or at least earn enough XP to.

Ideally, someone around 2nd level. Please PM if interested. Adventure will be getting underway shortly, not sure my posting availability the rest of the weekend, but Tues. at the latest.
[/sblock]

JoeNotCharles

First Post
7 Rabbit shuffles some papers around. "Oh, of course!" he says, "These are in a different code than this. No wonder I was confused. But of course I can assume the language is the same, which would be Draconic..."

He pauses and looks up. "You know you're asking me to translate dragon write, right? You're not planning to go and fight this dragon or anything, are you? You're friends and I wouldn't want to see you get hurt."

"Well, I'll assume you know what you're doing."

He pulls out a rod adorned with lines and symbols and begins counting off on it, scribbling down equations and muttering under his breath. After about 15 minutes he finishes, beaming. "That was easy! Not a very complicated code at all, for a scholar such as myself!"

He divides the notes into two piles. "These." he says, indicating the left-hand pile, "Are schedules of some sort. Each one lists the name of a noble, along with their address, a list of times and places, and an amount of gold." He points out each feature as he names it. The names are crossed off in blood. He points at the right-hand pile. "This took a little more translating. It's the personal journal of a young black dragon named Nightshade." 7 Rabbit looks sternly at Kruk. "A dragon's private journal is a very dangerous thing to have. Are you sure this Nightshade isn't going to come looking for it?"

"Anyway, the journal begins the day Nightshade and some followers or companions came to Daunton through a small tear in the planes during a freak late summer storm. The tear closed shortly after they stumbled through. Nightshade planned to use this journal to chronicle its 'conquest' of the area, although that seems to just be typical draconic arrogance, since the rest of the book is all about money."

"Nightshade and its followers formed a gang, calling themselves the 'Poisoned Shadows'. It seems like the true brains of the group was a shadar-kai witch named Lenore, although of course the dragon would never come out and say such a thing. But a lot of entries speak of 'Lenore's plan', which was to extort money from local nobles, using the group's inborn stealth to avoid detection."

"What they didn't count on was another crime syndicate already being in Daunton. After a few run-ins, Lenore managed to follow the other gang back to their lair. The Shadows were planning to assault them in three days from this last entry here." Rabbit points out the entry in question, and squints at it. "Huh, that's three days ago. What a coincidence! So, the Shadows were planning to attack this other gang tonight. Oh, and the entry also lists the location of a warehouse in the docks section, which I assume is the the other gang's lair."

"Are you planning to interfere in this assault? ... Can I come?" Rabbit looks eagerly back and forth between Kruk and Raiyek.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases