New Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
7 Rabbit shuffles some papers around. "Oh, of course!" he says, "These are in a different code than this. No wonder I was confused. But of course I can assume the language is the same, which would be Draconic..."

He pauses and looks up. "You know you're asking me to translate dragon write, right? You're not planning to go and fight this dragon or anything, are you? You're friends and I wouldn't want to see you get hurt."

"Well, I'll assume you know what you're doing."

He pulls out a rod adorned with lines and symbols and begins counting off on it, scribbling down equations and muttering under his breath. After about 15 minutes he finishes, beaming. "That was easy! Not a very complicated code at all, for a scholar such as myself!"

He divides the notes into two piles. "These." he says, indicating the left-hand pile, "Are schedules of some sort. Each one lists the name of a noble, along with their address, a list of times and places, and an amount of gold." He points out each feature as he names it. The names are crossed off in blood. He points at the right-hand pile. "This took a little more translating. It's the personal journal of a young black dragon named Nightshade." 7 Rabbit looks sternly at Kruk. "A dragon's private journal is a very dangerous thing to have. Are you sure this Nightshade isn't going to come looking for it?"
Raiyek throws Kruk a sideways glance. "Nightshade won't be looking for his journal. Kruk, care to demonstrate why?"
"Anyway, the journal begins the day Nightshade and some followers or companions came to Daunton through a small tear in the planes during a freak late summer storm. The tear closed shortly after they stumbled through. Nightshade planned to use this journal to chronicle its 'conquest' of the area, although that seems to just be typical draconic arrogance, since the rest of the book is all about money."

"Nightshade and its followers formed a gang, calling themselves the 'Poisoned Shadows'. It seems like the true brains of the group was a shadar-kai witch named Lenore, although of course the dragon would never come out and say such a thing. But a lot of entries speak of 'Lenore's plan', which was to extort money from local nobles, using the group's inborn stealth to avoid detection."

"What they didn't count on was another crime syndicate already being in Daunton. After a few run-ins, Lenore managed to follow the other gang back to their lair. The Shadows were planning to assault them in three days from this last entry here." Rabbit points out the entry in question, and squints at it. "Huh, that's three days ago. What a coincidence! So, the Shadows were planning to attack this other gang tonight. Oh, and the entry also lists the location of a warehouse in the docks section, which I assume is the the other gang's lair."

"Are you planning to interfere in this assault? ... Can I come?" Rabbit looks eagerly back and forth between Kruk and Raiyek.
Raiyek listens intently to the rest of Rabbit's explanation, his eyes lighting up at the end. "The Shadows probably won't be making the assault, since Nightshade and probably Lenore are dead." He looks to the others sitting around the table. "Perhaps we should take their place, no? It's likely that this other gang is the one Mr. X is with. And I would be honored by your company, Rabbit, if you have no other obligations."
[sblock=OOC]Sorry Joe - Raiyek would actually like Rabbit to come along ... not sure how you're going to wiggle him out of this :p[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock]
"Are you planning to interfere in this assault? ... Can I come?" Rabbit looks eagerly back and forth between Kruk and Raiyek.

And I would be honored by your company, Rabbit, if you have no other obligations."

I guess that would be my cue.
[/sblock]

The doors to the tavern open to reveal a young male half-elf wearing a body length sable fur coat that seems sprinkled with gold dust. Most of the patrons have never seen a more expensive garment that was not intended to fend off a dragon. Even more bizarre, he has a leashed dog that appears to be a giant poodle. It is better groomed than most patrons and wears more jewellery too.

The half-elf takes in the sight, looking at the patrons and making little noise of delight as sees particularly colourful individuals.

-“Yes, yes, oh my, yes! This is just the place to slum a little. Come on in men.”

The dandy walks in and is followed by two guards also wearing furs and looking distinctly uncomfortable. They seem to hate to be seen in public dressed like this and are distinctly worried as they scan the crowd of adventurer. They note the blood splattered Kendrick and look warily at Grim and Kruk, armed to the teeth and looking at javelins as if it was a yuletide treat.

-“Huh, boss, you know, some of these guys... huh, just be careful, please.” Whispers the older of the two guard.

-“Nonsense. This is great. Think of all the stories I’ll have to share at the Rankin’s merchant gathering. Look, that’s a golem! Doing his master’s bidding, no doubt.” he says pointing at Catein. “And there! This very pale little girl. This is surely an albinos.” he says indicating Bell. “Did you know albinos have sold their soul for power? That’s why they no longer glow like normal beings. Ooh, see the midget over there with the multi-coloured armour. Wow, what a silly looking way to dress.” He says, pointing at 7 Rabbit.

The guards groan in distress at their employers comments.

-“Do you see all the bizarre people, Princess? Isn’t it fun?” the dandy says to his dog. “Yes it is! Good dog!”

Then he whispers too loudly to his guards; “Keep an eye on Princess, will you. Look at them staring at Princess. By the look of it, I suspect some of these men want to mount her. Many of these patrons are positively beastly. Well, that bugbear over there is literally a beast, actually.”

The dandy isn’t entirely wrong; One of the ‘beastly’ patrons in particular is indeed staring with intensity at Princess. The poodle’s collar is a beautiful pendant of jade. He has seen it before, he knows it intimately. It belongs to his missing brother...

[sblock=Princess' Pendant]
The Laughing Man

The_Laughing_Man.jpg
[/sblock]

[sblock=Edit OOC]Just so there is no confusion; this is not an invitation for just any PC to claim: 'Hey, this is my brother's!'... The pendant belonged to 6 Eagle, 7 Rabbit's brother. Otherwise, do feel free to interact with this fop.

This is the hook for my upcoming adventure : 6 Eagle Down.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
Hacker stumbles back in the tavern. He wobbles over to the bartender and points a finger that wavers like a magnetic compass. "I am neither blind, nor lying in a puddle of my own vomit. I want the strongest stuff you've got."

dimsdale

First Post
Raiyek throws Kruk a sideways glance. "Nightshade won't be looking for his journal. Kruk, care to demonstrate why?"
quote]

"Why certainly Raiyek." Kruk reaches for another sack under the table next to the smelly bag that belongs to Raiyek ;). Kruk than reaches into the large bag fumbling around until he is satisfied with the grip. He then pulls out the head of a black dragon! Some of the patrons of the tavern stop their conversation and gasp in horror at the sight of it. "7-Rabbit, this would be the infamous Nightshade." After showing 7-Rabbit the head, he then proudly lifts it up into the air and rotates 360 degrees to show everyone in the tavern.

Kruk then walks over to the bar and jumps onto it, with the dragon head in toe and announces in a loud voice:
"Everyone! I now hand over to the Hangman Tavern its first trophy. Does anyone have a spare dagger?" A patron hands one to him. "Thank you kind sir." Kruk places the head in a suitable spot, then jams the dagger though the top of the head and into the wood behind it. Satisfied with his handy work, Kruk states: "There, that should do it." The patrons of the tavern stare in stunned silence.

Kruk ignores them as he looks to his right along the bar and notices the gnome Hacker. Stating to Raiyek and Carolina he states "I know he stated off on the wrong foot, but I do believe we are looking for one with his talents, are we not?"

[sblock]
Aren't we still looking for a level 2 or 3 leader?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Yes you guys probably want a leader
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party for Renau1g's adventure]
sooo...is this what we have so far or am I missing something

Raiyek - palidan - defender lvl 3
Kruk - figher - defender lvl 3
Carolina - rogue - striker lvl 1
Grim - ranger - striker lvl 1
7-Rabbit - warlock - striker lvl 1-2
Georg - wizard - controller lvl 1

and a lvl 2ish leader type. There is one at the bar
right now.

Hacker - bard - leader lvl 3

thoughts...comments...
[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
I wouldn't count 7-Rabbit amongst the PC's, certain events may force him along a different path
[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

If Hacker doesn't want the job in renau1g's adventure, might I suggest Lily. Her healing isn't off the charts, but she has a lot to offer rangers and rogues especially.

[/sblock]

Remove ads