New Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

industrygothica

Adventurer
Carolina doesn't flinch as the strange dwarf, apparently a friend of Kruk's and Raiyek's, jumps from the table and begins a conversation with a dog. However, when Kruk draws his axe, she quietly slips her dagger from its sheathe as she takes another sip of ale.

When she is convinced that there isn't going to be a battle in the tavern--at least not one involving more than 7 Rabbit bludgeoning the condescending half-elf, the halfling gets up and walks to Raiyek and taps him on the shoulder. When he turns, she motions for him to come down to her level so that she can whisper.

"Um, I know you want to help your friend and all, and I can respect that. But this Mr. X thing is happening tonight. If we don't nip it now, who's to say it won't snowball out of our control? Just think about that when you're choosing up sides. And regardless, you've not done wrong by me no matter what you choose."

After whispering in Raiyek's ear, the halfling offers a warm smile and returns to her ale, a bit more drunk than she'd ever admit.

[sblock=OOC]I thought Raiyek and Kruk could use a little incentive to stay with the current plan.[/sblock]

KenHood

First Post
-''If you let a bloody gnome drinks, you can let any damn midget under one hundred pound that comes in through the door have a pint!''
"That's Mr. Bloody Gnome to you, pig-*****," says Hacker Brass, "Now, why don't you run along, *****-for-brains, and let the adults drink in peace."

Events involving a barking dog and a loud poof...
Hacker Brass snatches a bottle of White Lightning (actual distilled lightning) from the barkeep. Small sparks dance around the lips of the bottle. The gnome winces as the dog barks yet again and its owner screams.

"*****! ***** ***** ***** of ***** that ***** ***** *****! I'm ***** tryin' to ***** enjoy some ***** fine ***** gawds-***** liquor, here!"

He hops off the bar and strides over to the poof. Then, he punches the half-elf in the groin and cracks him over the head with his bottle when he bends forward. "SHUT UP!"

Next, he walks over, smacks the dog in the head, grabs it by the scruff of the neck, and shakes it hard. "Answer my pardner's gawds-***** question, you curly-headed sack of *****, so I can get some ***** peace! And if you can't speak Allarian, you better be gawds-***** good at charades."

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk moves back and sits down next to Carolina and states "Is that my ale? I know that 7-Rabbit can take care of this." Looking down at his axe he states "Do ya think I kind of over reacted a bit there?" He takes a long drink of his ale. Just then Kruk witnesses the gnome punching the half-elf in the groin. Kruk begins to laugh, sending forth an uncontrolled spray of ale. With cat-like dwarf reflexes he violently twists his head to avoid spraying Carolina and is successful. Unfortunatly, Lily is not quite so lucky. "I'm so sorry lass." Kruk states as he tries in vain to wipe the ale off Lily's cloak. "The gnome with the punch in the groin thing kind of caught me off guard. I'm Kruk by the way. I assume you being here means your looking for work. We're looking for someone with your talents. Care to join us?" Kruk slides a chair for Lily to sit, then turns to watch what happens next with 7-Rabbit and the groaning half-elf.

CaBaNa

First Post
Out of the portal to The Drowned Man steps an eladrin in pink and orchid robes, with a stack of paperwork clutched in his arms, he makes his was to the bar and hands a piece of paper to the bartender. Words are quickly exchanged, and money shifts hands, then the note is placed above the bar, all it says is IAC.

Thanking the bartender Veruzak Choru'Skate rushes toward the front doors of the bar, and if not waylaid, exits.

[sblock=OOC]

That's really all it says for now...

Veruzak is available for adventure, he's just bustling getting his new arcane society off the ground.

[/sblock]

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Catein had been quietly observing the goings-on in the tavern, impassively taking it all in. However, upon seeing the surly gnome commit acts of both assault and animal abuse, it cannot stifle its centuries of training in the fine art of corrections. Springing into action, it moves swiftly to the altercation and its left arm becomes a mass of writhing chains, wrapping themselves about Hacker in an attempt to restrain him and hold him down. Catein is clearly used to working with much larger and less slippery foes as it is unable to get a decent grip on the gnome. Simultaneously, its right hand attempts to gently remove the dog from Hacker's grasp and set it on the ground near its owner.

It does all of this in an eerie silence, its eyes focused on Hacker's the entire time. The glowing orbs seem to burn into him and he can feel himself being judged, and not measuring up.

[sblock=Grab]
1d20+6=14 for a grab check vs. Hacker's 17 Reflex.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

KenHood

First Post
The glowing orbs seem to burn into him and he can feel himself being judged, and not measuring up.
Hacker jerks the dog away from Catein, steps back (shift 1 square), and sneers. "***** off, you self-righteous, socially-retarded, anal-dwelling monkey! I'm helpin' out my new friend, which is incidentally not this gawds-***** dog and is most definitely not an *****-wipe like you." He plucks a string on the banjo hanging over his back, adding a mind-addling resonance.

Action: Dissonant Strain v. Will (1d20+6=26) Critical Hit (First I've ever rolled in L4W!), 17 damage + Crit Bonus (1d6=4) for a total of 21 points of damage; Catein suffers a -2 penalty to all attack rolls until EONT -- Sorry, Roadtoad! (But not really. :lol:)

Eyes in bleary slits, speech slurred, Hacker hefts the poodle before his face. "And as for you, you ***** ***** *****. I know you can ***** talk. Let's see if a little fire can loosen your tongue."

Hacker snatches a glass of bourbon from a nearby tavern patron and dumps it on the dog. Then, with his free hand, the gnome attempts to (unsuccessfully) strike his flint-and-steel, muttering profanities the entire time. "Gawds-***** it, Chicome. You know any fire spells?"

[sblock=Can you believe it?!]I just got a crit! Maybe the Curse of Palindrome has truly ended. Now, if only Tonk can get a crit when using his daily attack...[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Veruzak's face scrunches up, the tattooed runes bunching around his nose.

useless...

The poodle is instantly dry, without even the slightest hint of bourbon on it's breath and fur.

Dog's respond mentally, you nasty little thing, find a kalashtar, or learn the ritual...

Veruzak stands cross-armed, tapping his foot, waiting for the mess to clear from his path toward the door.

[sblock=OOC]

Prestidigitation on dog, remove bourbon...

Minor action mage hand prep.

Move to look impatient.

[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Checks back into the tavern thread and...]:confused:[/sblock]

[sblock=7 Rabbit]The brooch is a family heirlom, your brother got it from your father as the eldest.

The Laughing Man (Brooch of Shielding +1)

When his foes think they have the upper hand, the Laughing Man snidely exposes their conceit.

Brooch of Shielding
This ornate silver shield pin absorbs force attacks against you.
Level: 3
Price: 680 gp
Item Slot: Neck
Enhancement: +1 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will

Property: Gain resist 10 force.
Power (Daily): Immediate Interrupt. Use this power when you are hit by an area, close, or ranged attack. Gain resist to all damage equal to the brooch’s resist force value against that attack.

---

If anyone other than 7 Rabbit ends up with this during the mayhem, I am adding a curse on it on the spot. :rant:
[/sblock]

*a few moments earlier*

7 Rabbit said:
"Do you own this animal?" he snaps. "WHY is it wearing my brother's necklace?"

The half-elf is now suddenly very subdued without his guards.

-''Huh, there must be a mistake my good sir. I don't know who your brother is. I bought this pendant quite legally from...''

Hacker said:
"*****! ***** ***** ***** of ***** that ***** ***** *****! I'm ***** tryin' to ***** enjoy some ***** fine ***** gawds-***** liquor, here!"

He hops off the bar and strides over to the poof. Then, he punches the half-elf in the groin and cracks him over the head with his bottle when he bends forward. "SHUT UP!"

The half-elf groans painfully and bends over when his family jewels are brutally crushed. He falls limply to the floor after hetting his skull cracked. He does shut up.

Next, he walks over, smacks the dog in the head, grabs it by the scruff of the neck, and shakes it hard. "Answer my pardner's gawds-***** question, you curly-headed sack of *****, so I can get some ***** peace! And if you can't speak Allarian, you better be gawds-***** good at charades."

As it turns out, the dog neither speaks Allarian nor has any talents for charade. It whelps pathetically.

*Catein and Hacker's scuffle ensues*

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
*a few moments earlier*

Hacker said:
"That's Mr. Bloody Gnome to you, pig-*****," says Hacker Brass, "Now, why don't you run along, *****-for-brains, and let the adults drink in peace."

Kendrick looks around, mildly interested to see who is insulting him but sees no one above the crowd. He shrugs and returns to his second pint of ale and moves back to Yurian's table. Some people just can't hold their liquor, no need to get all franzied over it. Then the scuffles occurs and Kendrick swears as he wtitness Catein get blasted. He has a commitment to adventure with that guy!

He swiftly walk over and assess the situation, stepping right in front of the wounded invoker. Upon realizing what happened he looks down at the gnome in disbelief.

-''Let me get this straight before thing get even more heated, mister Hacker. You knocked that poof unconscious even though your partner over there, Many Rabbits, needed information from him. You almost blew apart Catein here, even though you had a verbal agreement to go on a mission with him (and me, now that I realize it!). You are obviously quite an asset to a team! And now you are manhandling a dog whose only crime is to have been purchased by a jackass who outfitted it with stupid accessories. That's quite a curriculum you are developing for potential employers and partners!''

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Raiyek said:
Deciding to deal with Lily first, since it should take less time, he turns to her. "Adventure with you?" he asks politely. His sharp ears saved him, since he heard what she said to the bartender just before pointing at him. "We may be in need of a healer soon, so yes. Please just wait a moment first, though."

Lily turned to the bartender, See? He-, only to be interrupted.

Kendrick said:
''I get it, I get it, you want someone to buy you ale. Barman, one round on me. And stop enforcing that stupid drinking age rule! If you let a bloody gnome drinks, you can let any damn midget under one hundred pound that comes in through the door have a pint!''

Lily whirled back around.

Hey! Who wants that? And who are you calling a midget anyway?

Whatever. *Hmph*

Deciding to ignore him Lily made a slightly tipsy beeline for the table where the elf was blithely ignoring the mounting chaos in the tavern only to be sprayed with ale upon her arrival.

Gah!

Already wound up, she was about to let the dwarf have it, but realizing the sincerity in his voice took at deep breath instead.

It's okay, my names Lily...what is that gnome doing to that poor dog?

She sat down in the offered chair, staring at the strange scene with wide eyes as though she just now noticed it for the first time.

...he's not really going to set it on fire is he?

[sblock=ooc]

Things is happening! Woo, the tavern's gone nuts, it's hard to keep up. :)

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads