New Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Stringbean2142

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Wha...? Did everyone just go crazy while I was gone? Are they serving crack at the Hanged Man now, and no one told me?

So, I'm sorry I was away without a word, but like I've said elsewhere it was real life throwing me somewhere unexpected, with no Internet to get word out.[/sblock]
Through all of this, Yurian sits at his table in shock. Was this really what the outside world was like? If it was, he hopes never to have to leave Haurton again.

Once the craziness has begun to abate, he stands and walks to Kendrick and Catein. "Well, that was... unusual. Come one, let's get you back to the table, Catein. You look a bit out of it."

Helping Kendrick with the warforged, he says, "Before that unpleasantness, Mr. Kent, I was going to welcome you to the group and pay you your advance. After that, I must very happily welcome you to the group; it will be good to have a man of your level-headed nature on the job. I must admit, I doubt I want Mr. Brass after that display of..."

He pauses, a look of musing on his face as he glances across the room towards Hacker at the door, and the raidly spreading ring of vomit around him. He quicly looks away in digust. "You know, I'm not sure what exactly to call it. I've never seen someone who acts like that. And would have doubted someone like that could survive to adulthood, if the evidence of his existence wasn't slowly turning the bar into a cesspool not fifteen feet from us...

"Anyway, for now you and Catein are the only two who have signed on. The pay is 125 gold, 30 up front, and we leave in the morning. Is that acceptable?"

[sblock=Party for "Enemies Among Us"]So right now, I have Catein as a level 1 invoker and Kendrick as a level 1 ranger. Hacker has moved on to The Closed Eye, and while Lily had asked after Yurian it sounds like she's now headed out with ren's gang of miscreants, so we're back down to two PCs. Scorpius, seeing as we've just lost one bard Bell would be a good fit here, and since you're a full-on new member you've got precedent at this point. Interested in having Bell travel to a far off Isle, meet new people, and then in all likelihood kill them and take their stuff?

I'm waiting until we have four to start the adventure thread, so one more (assuming Bell joins) and we can at least have that started.[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
A small halfling, dressed in simple but smartly tailored livery enters the bar and approaches the bartender.

Excuze me but have you zeen ze...Merzenariez who azsizted ze church in ze Mausoleum?

CaBaNa

First Post
Veruzak overhears Yurian's conversation and tucks the knowledge away for after his announcement, Those of you looking on, with arcane knowledge, please see me at the far end of the bar.

Immediately shuffling his paperwork up, and stepping over to Yurian, Veruzak address' the possible employer, If you're hiring, I'm available starting tomorrow morning... Tonight I have to finish filing with the city council registering The Institute for Arcane Ciphers. I wouldn't mind taking my advance now, so that I can pay to push the paperwork through quickly.

Veruzak keeps an eye out for possible new members while chatting with Yurian about employment. *It's good to no longer be under house arrest, things are happening quickly now...* thinks the eladrin, as he considers the situation at hand.

[sblock=OOC]

Cheers Ukingsken, I'm excited to see that awful short fellow, not Hacker, the fastidious halfling...

This is not an adventure call

This is an invitation to The Institute of Arcane Ciphers, Dauntons newest arcane secret society...

See Veruzak to join.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
From up stairs, descends Mri'Thas, a githyanki, dressed in a heavy tan tunic, walking with the help of a staff with runes carved along the shaft, and a small glowing purple gem at the top.
Floating behind him comes a heavy tome with golden embroilments, and drawings of strange nature. The book appears to float randomly around the wizard, as he sits on a far table, mending his own business for the moment.
His eyes search for the warforged Soldier and the two females githyanki that came with him. Not seeing any of them, he sighs heavily. "I've slept for too much time" he thinks, and shrinks in his seat with "._." face.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
7 Rabbit stares open mouthed as the dandy collapses. He shakes his head ruefully. "Thank you!" he calls after Hacker - with his accent, it's hard to tell whether he's being ironic or not.

[sblock=Insight 15]
He's being ironic.
[/sblock]

Rabbit grabs the dog by the collar, the unconscious dandy by an ankle, and begins dragging them both towards the bar. "We'll be having a discussion in the back room," he announces. "Don't disturb us, please. It could take a while."

As he passes Kruk, Raiyek and Carolina's table he drop's the foot to wave, and calls, "Thanks for your help, as well! It was much more productive." Then he disappears into the back room, emerging brielfy to grab a pitcher of water, and locks the door behind himself.

[sblock=Back Room]
I'll take the necklace, tie the mutt in a corner, prop the half-elf upright in a chair, put on my ceremonial mask, and splash water in his face. When he wakes up, I'll repeat my last question.
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
As Grakk watches Vrrsk't and Kamotz continue to spar, he notices a familar face enter the tavern. "Friends, I think we are about to get a message from a servant of the temple. The small one in charge of money just entered the tavern Let's go forth and see what he has to say."

As the party enters the tavern they spot him talking to the bartender.

Excuze me but have you zeen ze...Merzenariez who azsizted ze church in ze Mausoleum?

Grakk steps forward towards the bar. "We are here small one, just where your master asked us to be when the time came to summon us. What news do you have for us?"

Grakk looks down at the well dressed halfing waiting for a reply.

CaBaNa

First Post
7 Rabbit stares open mouthed as the dandy collapses. He shakes his head ruefully. "Thank you!" he calls after Hacker - with his accent, it's hard to tell whether he's being ironic or not.

[sblock=Insight 15]
He's being ironic.
[/sblock]

Rabbit grabs the dog by the collar,
Wait not like that, Veruzak scruffs the poodle, and places 7 Rabbit's hand in the same position, This way it can't bite you...

The eladrin smiles, If you need help with that, let me know, I'm not sure if this fellow he nods at Yurian, is hiring... But as a member of The IAC you get precedence.

[sblock=OOC]

Veruzak can join either adventure. If 7 Rabbit asks he'll join him, for IC reasons. (7 Rabbit has a lot of friends...)

[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk nods his head towards 7-Rabbit as he passes by. "Anytime friend. Let us know what you find out, and if need be, our blades to help you solve the mystery of your missing brother."

As 7-Rabbit shuts the door, Kruk turns to his comrades: "I think the time has come for us to move on Mr. X. Shall we leave now and make plans for the attack?"

Stringbean2142

First Post
Yurian nods at the tatooed eladrin, and opens his mouth to reply. Before he can, the eladrin stops 7-Rabbit and instructs him on proper mutt-carrying techniques. Once the aside is over, Yurian starts over.

"Aye, I'm hiring. Thus far, we've these two gentlemen who have agreed to help. With all of the going-ons in here, I don't know if you've read the handbill, but the job is to determine the cause of numerous problems on the Isle of Haurton and solve them.

"The pay is 125 gold, 30 up front."
He holds up a small stack of coin. "Before I'll give it to you, though, I'd like to know who I am giving it to, and get your word that if you do decide to help your friend with the dog, you'll give it back. Our Isle is not wealthy, and this is quite a sum for us to pay out; we can't afford to not get our value from it.

"The 30 gold up front is to let those who need supplies prior to leaving for the Isle to buy them tonight. We leave in the morning."

[sblock=OOC]Veruzak would be three, four if Bell decides to join as well. If both are in, I'll start the thread. Also, if Veruzak joins that will be it for accepted controllers. I'd really like at least a defender before we start, but the adventure can scale to four if it looks like no new characters are inbound any time soon. We can make that decision later; at the least, we can roleplay showing up behind the Hanged Man while waiting for the other spots to fill.

On a separate note, I'm apparently an idiot and can't remember what color I've been using for Yurian. Anyone know what it is, or how I can tell on my own? Before you think I'm crazy, I'm colorblind and when I use edit, it just shows the colored text, not the bracketed code I use to get the colors right. I've been having to cut and paste old text and edit it to get the color.[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Backroom]

In the backroom, the dandy is coming back to his senses, moaning in pain.

-''OwwwOAAAH! Monster, monster!'' he shouts in fear when he opens his eyes and see a jaguar head inches away from him.

After he fully realizes where he is, he becomes more coherant, if still fearful.

-''D-d-do you k-know who I am? I am Sir Fallon...''

7 Rabbit interrupts him and reiterate his question concerning the pendant.

-''That... As I was saying before that criminal gnome attacked me... Oh, I will have the city guard arrest him, mark my word! Yes, before he assaulted me, I was telling you I bought that legally from a merchant named Castor. It is my lawful property!''
[/sblock]

[sblock=Castor]A streetwise check 15 reveals that Castor is a rather shady merchant of 'antiquities' who notoriously moonlight as a fence. Like every fence, he is tied to organized crime. His particular backer is Rinch the Riser's organization. Nasty fellows. It is a given that his store will be guarded and that he will be uncooperative concerning the sources of the stolen loot he sells. That is why you will clearly need some bodyguards of your own. *wink* *wik* *nudge* *nudge*

You will either suceed that skill check on the spot or gain that information from the friendly and knowledgebale barman (or any of your friends). It is no state secret.[/sblock]

[sblock=Hacker & DMs]Sir Fallon of Coughty, the useless son of a powerful merchant, really is going to complain to his father. Not to the city guard, though. He was in possession of stolen property, after all. While the man WAS being an ass, assault on the rich and powerful usually have consequences. Thugs from the father could be sent to 'teach a lesson' to the gnome.

I have no particular intent to pursue that plot thread in the short term, though, but it could be added as a hook/note on Hacker's wikipage. Just a thought.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Pendant and gold for 7 Rabbit]You have Fallon properly intimidated (I didn't forget the 20 skill check) so once it is inferred that he is actually in possession of stolen property he will back off and relinbquish the pendant without a fight and won't talk about the incident. As you can tell from the current state of the dialogue, you have room for a put down and after that he will meekly capitulate.

As a reward for the high check, he will also surrender his purse to keep you quiet. It contains 120 gp, which will help you finance your hirings.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads