Character Building

ukingsken

First Post
Rock out! A striker is a good way to test the waters so to speak. Nothing to draw you into the edition like smashing some monsters!

ryryguy

First Post
So, changing subject slightly... would the "savage" halflings from Talenta be barbarians, do you think? I guess they could be rangers and shamans... any other fitting choices I'm missing?

It's kind of tough to make a small-race barbarian, since you can't use the best two-handed weapons.

I saw there was a Talenta-specific versatile weapon, the Talenta Tangat, but for a supposedly "superior" weapon it seems pretty sucky. It's a long sword with high crit, but only +2 proficiency. For a superior weapon pick, why not bastard sword for better damage than the long sword, but still +3 proficiency? Or waraxe, or basically any other superior weapon? If the tangat were martial I might use it for flavor, but having to burn a feat for it? Yuck!

Well, I may try a halfling barbarian anyhow. Not getting a STR or CON bonus sure makes me long for the 25-point buy of L4W, though!

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Well, since we're (most likely) starting at level 4 you can start with a 17 in your main stat, and use the level-up bonus to bring it to 18. It hurts a little in the (very) long run, but during character creation it saves you four points.

As for the Talenta weapons, you should also take the Talenta Weapon Training feat, which gives you proficiency and +2 damage with all Talenta weapons.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
So, changing subject slightly... would the "savage" halflings from Talenta be barbarians, do you think? I guess they could be rangers and shamans... any other fitting choices I'm missing?
The more savage ones (which are the majority) would be primal classes or beastmaster rangers (with drakes) likely. Some fighters. Probably not a lot of arcane classes save maybe the sorcerer. Halflings associated with the Houses (Jorasco and Ghallanda) will be more civilized, so can be of any class.
I saw there was a Talenta-specific versatile weapon, the Talenta Tangat, but for a supposedly "superior" weapon it seems pretty sucky.
The Talenta weapons actually can be used by Small creatures, unlike the others—the Tangat can be used one handed (instead of two as normal for Small) and the Sharrash can be used two handed (instead of not at all). Yes, for Medium creatures, there are better choices. Not much for Small (though you can wield a scimitar one handed as a small creature, a Small creature still has the option of using the tangat two handed for extra damage; there are no other polearms available to Small creatures other than the sharrash).

Edit: I just noted that the Compendium does not note the "can be used by Small" abilities of the Talenta weapons. Doesn't seem to work in the CB as well. It is noted in the EPG, however.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
I was looking through my books and a doppelganger warlock looks fun.

I'm playing one in L4W and I enjoy him (although IC hates him, I've missed everytime with my encounter power :()

As for halfling's I could easily see them as Storm Sorcerors or Wild as well...(they also happen to be great at it as well)

EvolutionKB

First Post
The Talenta weapons actually can be used by Small creatures, unlike the others—the Tangat can be used one handed (instead of two as normal for Small) and the Sharrash can be used two handed (instead of not at all). Yes, for Medium creatures, there are better choices. Not much for Small (though you can wield a scimitar one handed as a small creature, a Small creature still has the option of using the tangat two handed for extra damage; there are no other polearms available to Small creatures other than the sharrash).

Edit: I just noted that the Compendium does not note the "can be used by Small" abilities of the Talenta weapons. Doesn't seem to work in the CB as well. It is noted in the EPG, however.

This reminds me of something I read on the WotC boards. See the transition thread...

ryryguy

First Post
Well, since we're (most likely) starting at level 4 you can start with a 17 in your main stat, and use the level-up bonus to bring it to 18. It hurts a little in the (very) long run, but during character creation it saves you four points.

True, that helps.

As for the Talenta weapons, you should also take the Talenta Weapon Training feat, which gives you proficiency and +2 damage with all Talenta weapons.

I had missed that feat!

Indeed, I was making a character with the CB when I started feeling like complaining. It makes sense now... I had read the "can be used by Small" in the book earlier and thought "hooray, now I can make a halfling barbarian!" Then felt let down when it wasn't working in the CB.

Thanks, both! Now I'll almost certainly make a halfling barbarian.

elecgraystone

First Post
I'm playing one in L4W and I enjoy him (although IC hates him, I've missed everytime with my encounter power :()
Not just YOUR warlock. :.-( I've still never seen what my vampiric embrace does.

As for halfling's I could easily see them as Storm Sorcerers or Wild as well...(they also happen to be great at it as well)
Yes they do. Halfling + sorcerer + Nimble spellcaster rocks! Then pick all area attack spells and you're a striker that does darn good as a secondary controller and doesn't grant OA. ;)

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Oh, I'm going to suffer such a karmic backlash for this...

Not just YOUR warlock. :.-( I've still never seen what my vampiric embrace does.

Well, I'm quite sorry to hear that. My warlock has hit with Vampiric Embrace every time she's fired it off. And let me tell you, it's fantastic. Good damage and a large chunk of temp hp? It just makes life worth living. In fact, I think she's only missed maybe two or three times, always with at-wills. Yeah, it's pretty great.

Now, of course, she's never going to land an attack again, but that's because a) she's in Limbo, and b) she's about to get killed by some wretched elves.

elecgraystone

First Post
Oh no TwoHeadsBarking, you don't have to worry about Karma! Now that I know where all the warlock luck is going, I'll be right there to get mine. Lets see I've got rope, a dagger, some goggles so blood doesn't get in my eyes... That should be enough for me to find it. :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases