PROPOSAL: Dragon Magazine 374

elecgraystone

First Post
I don't think it's too common, but I can vaguely remember it happening once.
Actually, it used to be quite common. Back when I got dragon, I think every one had some change from individual articles and the final version, usually do to feedback. That's why I got in the habit of deleting off the old articles when I got the final version so I wouldn't get the wrong info.

elecgraystone

First Post
Yeah, but I think they are getting a bit better with it now.
It may be true that aren't changing as much now. I haven't sen the articles since it went pay. If it's true though, I'd be a bit disappointed. It'd mean that are paying as much attention to player feedback. :(

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I had notes for this too, but I lost them. Bah.

White Lotus Academy

I don't like the approach of most of this. All this modification of ALL your at-wills, instead of making a particular at-will better. I don't know if it's actually unbalanced, it just rubs me the wrong way. Master's Surge I especially don't like - too much scope for unintended side effects when adding "save ends" to ANY encounter power.

Punishing Eye's already been dropped from the Compendium (thanks for the announcement, Wizards!) and we should too. We don't allow Artificers yet anyway.

I don't recall anything I didn't like about the powers, but I'm inclined to vote against the whole article just for simplicity.

Get Familiar

A lot of these familiars use the same wording for resistances as the Book Imp, which I just brought up in the AP thread. Other than that, I don't see any issues.

Ecology of the Deva

It's kind of weird which feats are for Deva only and which are Deva or Deva Heritage. I think I'd be ok with opening up everything that doesn't depend on Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes to Deva Heritage, unless someone can point out something unbalancing.

On the other hand, the stuff that modifies Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes makes an already-great power even better. I thought it was way too good when I saw it in PHB2, but I guess my sense of balance must be severely broken since nobody else seemed to have a problem.

Prince of Frost

Deeper Chill says: "When you spend an action point, make an attack that has the cold keyword." Does that mean as well as the action you get for spending the AP, or does should it be, "When you spend an action point to make an attack..."

elecgraystone

First Post
White Lotus Academy

I don't recall anything I didn't like about the powers, but I'm inclined to vote against the whole article just for simplicity.
Well this is a shame. I quite liked this whole article. In fact I liked it the best of the articles in this issue, with the familiars a close second.

elecgraystone

First Post
Well, convince me that I'm being too pessimistic, then
That's going to be hard since you don't like the premise. I'll give it a go them.

All this modification of ALL your at-wills, instead of making a particular at-will better. I don't know if it's actually unbalanced, it just rubs me the wrong way.
I can try to show balance, but your feelings about the powers?

As far as modifying all at-wills, this isn't that strange. There are already feats that can modify ALL your powers, so this is much narrower than that. Let me point out two feats to illustrate. Nimble spellcaster and Phantom Echoes [both in arcane book].

Make a hafling wizard or sorcerer with the Nimble Spellcaster feat and take all area attack spells [both classes can do it]. ALL your spells [not just at wills like the White Lotus Academy] ignore OA from those you hit.

Make an illusionist with Phantom Echos. All your illusion spells [it SHOULD be ALL of them] make the target grant you CA. ALL your spells [not just at wills like the White Lotus Academy] grant CA from those you hit.

I don't see how boosting a narrow set of powers [at wills] would be an issue in light of feats that boost ALL your powers.

As far as masters surge, I can't think of any 'unintended side effects when adding "save ends" to ANY encounter power'. If someone could give my an example of something they think is unbalanced, I would appreciate it.

Punishing eye was a good idea, but VERY poorly done. No sustain just lasts all encounter? Auto hits? This could have been fixed easily. Add sustain: minor. Remove 'when an ally attacks an enemy within 3 squares of the eye and hits, that enemy takes psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier.' and replace with 'when an ally attacks an enemy within 3 squares of the eye and hits, you may also attack that enemy as an immediate reaction,close burst 3, target hit by ally, Int vs REF, CON or WIS bonus damage.'

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases