[Proposal]Bazaar of the Bizarre (Dr 369)

ukingsken

First Post
Yeah I agree. It doesn't make sense. On the one hand a weapon thrown with the gloves does more damage then a fully pumped barbarian swinging it?

But then if you throw it, why does it do less damage?

Kalidrev

First Post
Ah... The special seems overly complicated to me. "Weapons used with this ability do not use their properties or magic for the attack." Simple and easy.

I actually agree with you there, I just couldn't think of the best way to word it :)

A weapon used with this power can deal no more damage when thrown with the gauntlets than if used in melee combat." Makes NO sense mind you. If I pick up a weapon, it's limited in damage but if I pick up a loosely packed 5lb snowball, it deals the FULL damage. :-S
I mostly agree with you on this, but I'm trying to keep it abstract and eliminate any possibility of abuse.

Also... have you ever been hit by a 5lb snowball? The average snowball is going to weight no more than a pound, packed. There's no way that you would be able to get five pounds of snow to travel any kind of distance unless it was hard-packed. That's like getting hit with five pounds of rock. =P

Same for "Treat bows, crossbows, and other ranged weapons that require ammunition to be used, as improvised weapons for purposes of calculating damage for this power". 5lbs block of wood does 2d6 but if I carve it into the shape of a greatbow, it does d4? :-S
Again, this was mostly to prevent abuse of someone saying "I'm wielding a greatbow, which does 1d12 damage, so I'm going to throw it with my gauntlets and do 1d12 damage with it!"

Items like this are typically long and slender (as bows tend to be) and wouldn't exactly fly through the air with any kind of heft. Now if I had a five pound hunk of wood to chuck at someone, yer darned tootin that would hurt! Of course, I would expect DM's to make calls on this kind of thing if it made more sense to treat it like a boulder, such as if you were wielding a superior crossbow. It's basically one compact piece of wood (nevermind the small mounted bow on the front).

ukingsken said:
Yeah I agree. It doesn't make sense. On the one hand a weapon thrown with the gloves does more damage then a fully pumped barbarian swinging it?

But then if you throw it, why does it do less damage?

Are you asking why throwing the weapon makes the weapon do less damage, or are you asking why throwing a weapon (rather than a 25 lb boulder) does less than the 2d6 damage the power gives RAW?

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
When did this get complicated? If you throw an item with the gloves, what you get is the attack listed with the gloves. Nothing else. No proficiency, no enchantments, no nothing. Yeah, you can throw a 50 lbs pillow and do as much damage as throwing a 50 lbs ball of lead. It's magic.

hornedturtle

First Post
Most of the weapons that do less than the damage than the gloves do seem to weigh less than 5lb. For example the Dagger is only 1lb which should also be less than the 25%. By the way since I don't have the book is 25% like 10lbs or something for most characters?

Kalidrev

First Post
The weight limit is listed as 30 lbs or less. 25% of 30 is 7.5 lbs. That is kind of a wierd number, so maybe we should just make it 10lbs to 30lbs (that would eliminate most of the weapons anyways and would (in my opinion) quell any issues).

Also, TwoHeadsBarking, I don't think our issues have been whether it's a 50lb pillow or a 50lb boulder, but more along the lines of a .1 lb coin, 1 lb dagger, or 30lb hunk of rock doing the same damage. I know we could simply say "it's magic... get over it" and move on, but I think people are afraid that we will have people abusing the item. I happen to really like the item, and would like to see it in the game, but I don't want it to get banned because of a minor issue that could cause arguments.

Last edited:

elecgraystone

First Post
LOL I have to agree with TwoHeadsBarking. Somewhere along the way this got complicated. I understand what you guys are trying to do but I find simple is best.

I think all we have to do is is agree on a weight minimum and if what you throw changes the attack.

Anywhere from 7.5 to 15 is fine with me for the weight. As for the object, I'd say what it is has no bearing on the attack. As long as the weight fits, it does the stated attack. I like my statement "Weapons used with this ability do not use their properties or magic for the attack" because it's simple and I think easily understood. However, as long as that basic concept is conveyed, I don't care about the exact wording.

Kalidrev

First Post
elecgraystone:

I will happily concede. Your last statement made a lot of sense and I agree with all of it (you're trained in diplomacy aren't you? =P). I propose that the weight limit be set to read as 10 to 30lbs and have the following added at the end.

Special: Weapons used with this ability do not use their properties or enhancement bonuses for this attack.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
elecgraystone:

I will happily concede. Your last statement made a lot of sense and I agree with all of it (you're trained in diplomacy aren't you? =P). I propose that the weight limit be set to read as 10 to 30lbs and have the following added at the end.

Special: Weapons used with this ability do not use their properties or enhancement bonuses for this attack.

Yes

Remove ads