Encounter - Trouble at McGuffin Creek (lvl 1)

Jurph

First Post
I was recently asked to join a 4e game that will be taking place as part of a week-long vacation to the Outer Banks. My wife and our friend J. have never played D&D, and I haven't played D&D since 2nd Edition, so I decided to knock the rust off my armor and run a few combat encounters under the 4e system. Not DMing, mind you - just refereeing a combat with some paper cutout kobolds or what-have-you.

Well, the Temple of the McGuffin ("You grab the McGuffin and a gong sounds from deep in the temple. Kobolds pour into the room from all directions. Roll initiative!") was a big hit. Everyone learned a lot, and so I figured I'd run another session. Not DMing, exactly, just... refereeing. And making up a map. And probably customizing some monsters so they'll have good counter-powers to the PCs. And there needs to be some kind of plot to explain why this fight is set up the way it is, just not too much plot. Certainly not DMing.

Long story short, I think I ended up writing a set-piece encounter that could easily be the opening chapter in a short campaign.

As if Lord Wossname didn't have trouble enough with the orcs on his western lands, now the shipments from the mining towns out past Plott Point have slowed to a trickle. He sent a cavalry officer to speak with the mayor about the problem, and the mayor replied that he had sent a shipment, but the caravan had never returned. After interviews with several witnesses, the cavalry officer discovered that the caravan was last seen just east of McGuffin Creek. Lord Wossname sent some watchmen to investigate, but they disappeared as well, and now he suspects foul play. He doesn't have the soldiers to spare, and even if he did they're all in the east. Things seem hopeless until Lord Wossname hears that a rag-tag group of travelers have been seen in the capital, drinking and boasting of their conquests in a neighboring land. Calling the PCs in for an audience, he asks for their help:

"Find out where my iron shipments are disappearing to, and I'll make it worth your while."

He gives them directions to the bridge on McGuffin Creek, and tells them that the missing caravan approached from the eastern mines and the missing soldiers approached along the road from the west.

When the PCs show up, they'll find the McGuffin Creek Bridge. It's a sturdy-looking bridge over a deep sandy arroyo with a pitiful little trickle of water running down the middle. The PCs can search the bridge and surrounding area as long as they like, and they'll be watched from several directions to make sure they don't find anything. As long as they don't mention Lord Wossname, the missing iron shipments, or the watchmen who vanished, they're free to leave the area. If they don't notice any of the secret doors leading to the tunnels, any subsequent attacks are made with the intent to scare them off.

Mentioning any of the forbidden topics triggers a Stealth vs. Perception check; the nearest guard has ducked into the tunnels and sounded the alarm, and the ambush will start in the next minute or so. If the PCs don't notice, the ambushers get a surprise round. If the PCs manage to enter the western tunnels, the scouts will evacuate, gather reinforcements, and lie in wait outside. If the PCs enter the eastern tunnels, Tarin the Stoat will head to the surface and send his bandits into the tunnels to kill the PCs. Regardless, the battle is joined!

The rest of the DM synopsis, monster cards, and encounter tactics (with hand-drawn maps suitable for printing) are here:

Feel free to critique it, play it, or adapt it to your own use. I doubt that you could sell it as your own work, but please don't try. If you think it's too tough for three lvl1 players who are just learning their way around the game, let me know. Mostly as a matter of pride, I'd rather not fudge the rolls when I DM referee this encounter next week.

Last edited:

Nytmare

David Jose
I don't think that anything I've read on these boards has ever made me laugh as much as this has.

Please do this more.

Nytmare

David Jose
One thing I'm noticing, looking at the tunnel system, is that the quarters are probably going to be a bit too cramped for 4th Edition combat. Five foot wide tunnels make things kinda screech to a halt. Having the ladders is nice because it will give people the option of running around and flanking each other, but you might want to widen things out down there and give people a couple interior loops.

Jurph

First Post
Thanks for the feedback! It hadn't actually occurred to me when I set up the maps that the PCs would choose to sustain a fight in the tunnels, and I made some allowances for that later on by giving pretty much every NPC a "knock everyone over and run" encounter power. I am worried about my party's mage casting flaming sphere in those tunnels... although I'm looking forward to about the third round she has it burning, when the torches start to gutter and dim. And the fourth round, when I will begin describing the effects of low-oxygen environments. Our DM for the Outer Banks trip will be listening in via webcam, and he has a DMG, so if the game already has rules for that sort of thing he'll be able to make an on-the-spot ruling. Otherwise it's "you start to see a sparkling, twinkling light in front of your eyes and the tunnel appears to be closing in." Everyone grants combat advantage, everyone suffers -2 to attack rolls, everyone passes out. Wheeeee! (Make an Endurance check to stay conscious).

Bottom line, I have a bunch of ways to strongly discourage the PCs from trying to sustain combat down there, but I definitely have room to expand those caves before we play on Tuesday, too. I'll see if I can squeeze in some map-drawing time Sunday night. I managed to edit the tunnel system and paste the new map into the adventure document.

I'm glad you found my descriptions amusing, too!

Last edited:

Remove ads