Kobold Quarterly #10

Shemeska

Adventurer
Well I finally subscribed to KQ as of this latest issue, and I'm happy that I did. There's some seriously cool stuff in here, including 3.x, 4e, and a Pathfinder preview, so it's got something for everyone. I'll be reading over everything more in depth tonight and tommorow.

And branching off from all of KQ10 to one article therein...

This was also the first issue of KQ that I contributed a piece to, with "Chaos Magic of the Proteans". Really cool to finally get into KQ. Per the name, it's focused on the magic and magical items created by the Proteans (the serpentine CN outsiders in Golarion's cosmos). Wrapped into it all are some things that touch upon planar material from other Pathfinder sources, such as an artifact linked to the keketar protean that shows up in Wayne Reynold's cover illustration for The Great Beyond.

The piece is a -lot- more crunch heavy than I'm known for, so I'm honestly keen for some feedback on how folks receive the mechanical aspects of it as well as the flavor wrapped up around the various spells, items, and pair of artifacts. Good, bad, you should do 4e...whatever the feedback tone, I'm keen to hear it.

Rechan

Adventurer
I'm tempted to get it. Purely for the G-Cube stuff, and find out how the halflings were refluffed.

What's the 4e material?

Monkey King

Explorer
The halflings have a 4E version, the Nevermet Press guys designed three plug-and-play skill challenges, the Warlock article is very 4E compatible.

There's articles on halberds, generating PCs without backgrounds, and the gelatinous cubes that work for any system.

The interview with Jeff Grubb also mentions 4E briefly, but I wouldn't call it 4E-centric content by any stretch.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Well, I notice that the greater kiss of the first speaker spell says "The target of this spell is affected as with kiss of the first speaker with the exception that any spell or spell-like ability the target uses is automatically affected; there is no chance to nullify the wild magic with a caster level check."

However, the kiss of the first speaker spell doesn't have any text that says you can overcome the wild magic with a caster level check. I'm also a bit confused by the last line of the spell. Kiss of the first speaker affects only one person, but it also affects anyone who tries to remove the effect from that person with any of the listed spells?

What's it about?

Ideas. Many shiny, sparkling, "I want to steal this ideas". See "irony" in the dictionary, or Wolfgang's editorial in Issue #10.

I also recommend the Ed Greenwood article. Great quote "All holy ales work on humans, dwarves and all crossbreeds of human and dwarf (such as derro, duergar, half-orcs, and half-elves). However, they are poisonous to fullblood elves, typically causing 4d10 rounds of nausea, confusion, slowed movements and trembling (loss of 1d4 Dex during this time)."

Color me Old Skool. I about died laughing wondering how the elves count coup in return.

Shemeska

Adventurer
Well, I notice that the greater kiss of the first speaker spell says "The target of this spell is affected as with kiss of the first speaker with the exception that any spell or spell-like ability the target uses is automatically affected; there is no chance to nullify the wild magic with a caster level check."

However, the kiss of the first speaker spell doesn't have any text that says you can overcome the wild magic with a caster level check. I'm also a bit confused by the last line of the spell. Kiss of the first speaker affects only one person, but it also affects anyone who tries to remove the effect from that person with any of the listed spells?

The overcoming it with a caster level check is part of the formal description of a wild magic zone in the SRD. I didn't reprint the rules for that within the spell, just referenced the effect.

As for the last question, anyone attempting to use the listed spells to dispel the wild magic effect has their attempt subject to that same wild magic effect till/if they manage to remove it. The wild magic effect doesn't spread to them, just for the spell they're casting on the original victim of Kiss of the First Speaker, since that person is for all intents lugging around a mobile wild magic zone on their person.

MarcR

First Post
Hi all. I've lurked here for some time, but finally got around to registering.

I am a big fan of Kobold Quarterly magazine and this issue is really extra great.

To those that are still on the fence about subscribing to Kobold Quarterly or not, I seriously cannot recommend it enough! It has been said that Kobold Quarterly really is the spiritual successor to Dragon magazine, and I would have to agree 100%

It is such a fantastic magazine, the people involved do such a great job and the quality is just top notch ... I can honestly say that everyone on these boards should seriously consider subscribing. You get top quality game material (Third Edition, some Fourth Edition and plenty of Pathfinder along with edition neutral stuff) and an all around top quality magazine.

I just can't say enough about this mag in general and this issue in particular!

Everyone who has not subscribed should head over to the KQ site and take a look. I really think you'll be glad you did!
Go to www.koboldquarterly.com

Remove ads