[Proposal] Quintessential Items #2

elecgraystone

First Post
Well I got to look over the 2 Quintessential books yesterday. They have a lot of good ideas. I just wish they'd have been thinking 4e instead of 3.5 when they made them. As such, most things can't be used as-is. There WHERE some items in the wizard book that fit the setting and work mechanically. Here they are.

Astrolabe and Sky Charts [150 gp, 1/2 lb] : If you know how to use them, you can also trace a course when no landmarks are visible. Each time you use the astrolabe and the sky charts and succeed a DC 15 Nature check, you gain a +4 item bonus to your next Nature check to find the north (especially if you have to pinpoint a precise direction).

Magnifying Lens [20 gp, no weight] : When you use it, you gain a +2 bonus to Perception checks to spot small details.

Spying Glass [50 gp, 1 lb] : This is a 3 ft. long tube of wood or metal that can be reduced to half this length thanks to a system of progressively smaller pieces. It allows you to see at a greater range and grants a +2 bonus to Perception checks made to watch creatures or items located beyond 10 squares but within 50 squares from you.

Telescope [1,000 gp, 10 lb] : Once fully extended, it measures 5 feet and must be placed on a tripod or another similar support. You can use it to see far beyond your normal reach, gaining a +2 bonus to Perception checks made to spot creatures or objects beyond 50 squares from you but within a range of 100 squares.

Portable Tripod [2 gp, 2 lb] : This is a light wooden support that can be folded to be easily carried around (when folded, it is considered a Tiny item). It can sustain many different items.

Instant Fire [10 gp, 1 lb] : This is a block of wax-like substance. As soon as you rub one of these blocks against a flint, it will burn like a torch for 4 hours, producing a like amount of light and heat, which you can safely carry in your hand. Once used, the block is consumed.

Acoustic Horn [40 gp, 4 lb] : It magnifies sounds and leads them to your ear. When you use it, you gain a +2 bonus to Perception checks made to listen through a door or a wall.

Inkpen [5 sp, no weight] : The inkpen works like a pen, but it is made in wood or bone and lasts virtually forever.

ukingsken

First Post
Well I don't really see anything there thats a problem. All of it is quite situational, and not an unreasonable bonus. And I like the listening tube, I could see any character roleplaying an inquisitive rocking one out. I'm inclined to just say yes and get on with it but I'll hold off until some more people post.

renau1g

First Post
I guess my issue lies with the situational nature of these bonuses (which doesn't seem to fit with 4e's mentality). Also the vagueness of "small details" is a bit off for me. What exactly would the magnifying glass be good for? Checking for traps? If so, a +2 bonus for 20gp seems a bit much. I know traps aren't much like they were in 3.5e (thankfully).

Anyways, I'd like to also hear more feedback on these items. I'm actually inclined to vote no to keep things simpler and more streamlined for DM's. Well except the inkpen. I'm fine with it.

elecgraystone

First Post
I guess my issue lies with the situational nature of these bonuses (which doesn't seem to fit with 4e's mentality).
"When you use a climber’s kit, you gain a +2 bonus to Athletics checks for climbing."
"Thieves’ tools grant a +2 bonus to Thievery checks to open a lock or to disarm a trap."
"A crowbar grants a +2 item bonus to Athletics checks made to open locked doors or containers."
I think situational bonuses are VERY 4e. ;)

Also the vagueness of "small details" is a bit off for me. What exactly would the magnifying glass be good for? Checking for traps? If so, a +2 bonus for 20gp seems a bit much. I know traps aren't much like they were in 3.5e (thankfully).
Secret panel in desk, hidden door, small engraving, quality of paper/water marks, comparing hand writing, ect.

Anyways, I'd like to also hear more feedback on these items. I'm actually inclined to vote no to keep things simpler and more streamlined for DM's. Well except the inkpen. I'm fine with it.
That's cool. I thought they'd be interesting item for both DM and player. As ukingsken said, I can really see an inquisitive pulling these items out and going to town!​

Granted, there is already an Inquisitive's Kit [+2 perception when searching for something specific], but I'm not a big fan of the wording. Do I not get the +2 if I was looking for a secret door and there is instead a peephole? I know the listening tube will give me a +2 if I use it and don't know what I'll hear [which is kind of the point isn't it?].

ukingsken

First Post
I think the "+2 if your searching for something specific" would only frustrate you if your DM was a complete douche.

"Well while you were looking for that secret door and rolled an 18 you completely failed to find the secret PORTAL because its DC was 20 and you didn't get your +2 because you were looking for a door."

I would punch that DM so hard is his jugular he'd have deep vein thrombosis.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I would punch that DM so hard is his jugular he'd have deep vein thrombosis.

Which would be especially impressive, given our pbp setting.

Anyway, I vote yes to everything except the magnifying glass, since the inquisitive kit is basically WotC's rules for the magnifying glass.

renau1g

First Post
I'll vote YES on everything except the magnifying glass as well. I don't see the point of the Instant Fire as it's actually worse than a sunrod and more costly.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
I don't see the point of the Instant Fire as it's actually worse than a sunrod and more costly.

Well, in terms of pure illumination, pretty much every light source is worse than the nuclear flare that is the sunrod. Even the actual sun can only be used for a certain amount of time per day before it has to set, but you can always crack out another sunrod.

elecgraystone

First Post
I don't see the point of the Instant Fire as it's actually worse than a sunrod and more costly.
That was my first thought until I mulled it over a bit. I think the important thing is that it makes 'a like amount of light and heat'. If you're freezing to death in a mountain pass, you'd much rather have the instant fire. I think it fills in nicely when you want light AND warmth.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases