There are a couple things I would like feedback on:

Mageripper Swarm
Level 6 Controller
Medium Aberrant Beast
XP 250
Initiative +6
Senses Perception +11

Swarm of Fangs aura 1;
The Mageripper swarm can make a bite attack as a free action against any creature in the aura.

HP 72; Bloodied 36
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 18, Will 18
Immune Gaze, Illusions; Resist Half damage from melee and ranged attacks;
Vulnerable 5 close and area attacks
Speed 6, climb 4

:bmelee: Bite (Standard; at-will)
+11 Vs. AC, 1d10+4 damage

Anti-Magic Shield (Immediate Reaction (when hit with a magic attack); 1 per round)
The attack is changed to a miss

Magic Leech
When missed with a magic attack, the target loses the use of that attack until the end of the encounter.

Alignment Unaligned
Languages None
Skills Athletics +11, Nature +11, Stealth +11
Str 16 (+6) Dex 16 (+6) Wis 16 (+6) Con 16 (+6) Int 16 (+6) Cha 16 (+6)
Equipment None

This is an interesting creature but my gut reaction is to say that it should be paragon level with those sorts of abilities.

Swarm of Fangs should probably be the standard "all enemies starting their turn inside the aura take a Bite attack", i.e. ite aura attack happens on the players turn rather that the swarms.

Anti Magic Shell doesn't need the "1 per round" as a creature can only have 1 immediate reaction in a round anyway.

This ability in effect is very similar to the Mindflayer Masterminds "Cradle of the Elder Brain" power, a power that is very good, and thats a level 18 elite.

Also the term Magic Attack is a little vague, you are probably refering to powers with the Arcane keyword, and maybe the Divine keyword as well but there is the possibility of stretching the term magic attack to incorporate magic weapons (which I would say isn't intended) so it needs a little clarification.

All in all I think this power is too strong for a level 6 standard creature, it probably wants to be changed to an encounter power, or if the creature is an elite changed to a recharge :5::6: power.

Magic Leech is a great power for a paragon or epic tier creature.

I see what you are trying to do with the creature and its a good idea but I think for heroic tier it will need to change its focus. As it is an anti arcane creature it could maybe do more damage to arcane powered creatures or maybe it gets a bonus to its defences from arcane attacks or gains bonus damage on an attack when it has been hit by an arcane attack, or when hit by an arcane attack has a free attack to deal damage equal to half the total back at the caster?

NOTE: I am not sure if all of these fit a controller.

Magebane
Whenever Mageripper Swarm hits a creature with an arcane power source
it deals an additional 1d6 damage

Arcane Resilience
Mageripper Swarm gains a +2 bonus to all defences against attacks with
the arcane keyword

Arcane Battery
Whenever Mageripper Swarm is damaged by an attack with the arcane
keyword its next successful attack deals an additional 5 damage and the
target is dazed (save ends)

Reflective Shell (immediate reaction, recharge :5::6:) when hit by an
attack with the arcane keyword
When hit by an attack with the arcane keyword Mageripper swarm reflects
part of the attack back to the caster; attack +10 vs. Reflex; on hit target
takes damage equal to half of the damage dealt and any status effects
generated from the attack (note: Mageripper Swarm still takes full effect
of the attack)

anyway these are just ideas.

Necrosis Carnex
Level 3 Skirmisher (Leader)
Medium Natural Animate (undead)
XP 150
Initiative +5
Senses Perception +8

Malign Aura (Necrotic, Fear) aura 3; All living creatures within 3 squares of the Necrosis Carnex take a -1 to all defenses.

HP 46; Bloodied 23
AC 17; Fortitude 15, Reflex 15, Will 15
Immune Necrotic, Poison, Disease, Sleep;
Vulnerable Radiant 5
Speed 8

:bmelee: Necrotic Touch (Standard; at-will)
+6 Vs. Will, 1d10+3 necrotic damage.

:area: Necrotic empowerment (Standard; recharge :5::6:)
Burst 5, all allies in the burst can make a basic attack as a free action.

:area: Unholy Explosion (Immediate Interrupt, when reduced to 0 hitpoints) ♦ Necrotic
Burst 3. all living creatures in the area are hit with the following attack. +6 Vs. Reflex 3d6+3 necrotic damage and all undead allies in the burst regain 15 hit points

Alignment Evil
Languages Understands Creator
Skills Acrobatics +8, Athletics +8
Str 14 (+3)Dex 14 (+3)Wis 14 (+3)Con 14 (+3)Int 14 (+3)Cha 14 (+3)Equipment None

I quite like this creature, it is potentially abusable (but thats not really our problem).

Necrotic Empowerment is really rather strong for a level 3 creature, I would say it should probably read all undead allies in burst. At this level on a standard creature I think it should probably be an encounter power or changed so that it only effects up to 2 allies. Otherwise level 3 PCs are going to get pummelled.

I like unholy explosion but 3d6+3 damage could be pushing it at level 3.

I think this creature should also have another attack power to keep it interesting.

Void Shard
Level 3 Minion
Tiny Shadow Animate
XP 37
Initiative +3
Senses Perception +3

Withering aura (Necrotic)
aura 2; All creatures in the aura take 1 necrotic damage. Multiple withering auras stack (void shards are immune to this ability)

HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 17; Fortitude 16, Reflex 16, Will 15
Speed Fly 6 (hover)

:bmelee: Void touch (Standard; at-will)
+6 Vs. Will, 1 necrotic damage

Of another dimension (Immediate Reaction (when hit by an attack); at-will)
There is a 50% chance that the attack is changed to a miss.

Portal (Immediate Reaction (when missed by an attack); at-will)
Another void shard appears in a square adjacent to the activating void shard

Alignment Unaligned
Languages None
Str 16 (+4)Dex 16 (+4)Wis 14 (+3)Con 16 (+4)Int 14 (+3)Cha 14 (+3)Equipment None

Some of these powers seem familiar ;)

I think this is proably balanced due to the very low damage, and the cumulatibe aura damage. In fact you might want to drop these down to level 1 minions for use in encounters from levels 2 to 4.

anyway all this is just my opinion, hope it helps.

Sporemine

First Post
Thanks for the feedback mesh

Mageripper:

I'm going to add the following power

Magic Overload (immediate interrupt, when hit with 3 magic (arcane or divine) attacks in a round) Arcane, Divine
Burst 10, The mageripper swarm detonates violently from an overload of power. All living creatures in the burst regain hit points as if they had spent a healing surge.

Necrosis carnex:

You're right, it was a typo. It should read a follows:

Burst 5, all undead allies in the burst can make a basic attack as a free action.

Void shard:

So it was YOUR creature that inspired that one. Sorry I read about 30 threads on this site and giantitp.com that day. By the end I realized that it fit perfectly into my new campagain, where the sun never shines. They are supposed to come in at lv 2, so the level makes things easier.

Sporemine

First Post
Thanks for the feedback mesh

Mageripper:

I'm going to add the following power

Magic Overload (immediate interrupt, when hit with 3 magic (arcane or divine) attacks in a round) Arcane, Divine
Burst 10, The mageripper swarm detonates violently from an overload of power. All living creatures in the burst regain hit points as if they had spent a healing surge.

Necrosis carnex:

You're right, it was a typo. It should read a follows:

Burst 5, all undead allies in the burst can make a basic attack as a free action.

Void shard:

So it was YOUR creature that inspired that one. Sorry I read about 30 threads on this site and giantitp.com that day. By the end I realized that it fit perfectly into my new campagain, where the sun never shines. They are supposed to come in at lv 2, so the level makes things easier.

Kudos and thanks for the feedback

-Sporemine

illathid

First Post
The Quori is a strange one, and quite hard to interpret for someone else. From what I can remember of Eberron the Dreaming Dark inhabit peoples brains and control them from the plane of dreams, if a "head squid" dreaming dark is killed it just goes back to the plane of dreams.

Are the Quori the race that live in the plane of dreams and run the dreaming dark, and use the continent of Sarlona as a base of opperations for dealing with the physical world?

I also seem to remember that there are a few different types of Quori, probably Mastermind types, Assassin types and Soldier types?

Can you give me an idea of the type of creature(s) you are expecting, and the types of things you expect them to be able to do, also a vague way in which the PCs would come in contact with them might help as they are a very abstract race.

Well in the immortal words of Keith Baker, creator of Eberron, the Quori are psychic lobster assassins. And yes your remembering correctly, they are the inhabitants of the dream world. There are about 6 different types of quori each with their own roles. Here is a brief list of each type:

(CR 20) Kalaraq "Eyebinder" quori - nobility and ruling elite [Secrets of Sarlona]
(CR 11) Usvapna "Dream Master" quori - assassins and inquisitors [Magic of Eberron]
(CR 11) Du'ulora "Blackfury" quori - warlords and tacticians [Secrets of Sarlona]
(CR 9) Hashalaq "Dream Stealer" quori - loremasters and judges [Secrets of Sarlona]
(CR 7) Tsucora quori - hunters and soldiers [Eberron Campaign Setting]
(CR 5) Tsoreva "Mind Blade" quori - grunts and enforcers [Magic of Eberron]

[sblock]
Kalaraq: http://wizards.com/dnd/images/sarlona_gallery/102998.jpg
Usvapna: http://wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91500.jpg
Du'ulora: http://wizards.com/dnd/images/sarlona_gallery/102996.jpg
Hashalaq: http://wizards.com/dnd/images/sarlona_gallery/102997.jpg
Tsucora: http://wizards.com/dnd/images/eb_gallery/82160.jpg
Tsoreva: http://wizards.com/dnd/images/moe_gallery/91499.jpg
[/sblock]

I can give more specific information on any of the varieties upon request.

I expect PC's to interact with the different quori in a couple of different ways. The PC's will be having dream combats, traveling the planes, and exploring forgotten ruins, so I fully expect to use the full manifestation of almost every type of quori. However, the most common way would most likely be through possession of a willing host, which I had thought could be made into a template with slightly different specifics based on the type of quori.

The a reoccurring villain in the campaign is going to be an Usvapna who has mind seeded many different agents throughout the world that it could posses at a moments notice, thus if one agent died it could always inhabit some other agent. As such, each fight could be radically different based on whom it has possessed at the moment.

Does that help?

Last edited:

Soel

First Post
Soel, how about something like this for the Stygian Golem?

This is very cool! One thing though, in past editions (not sure if its in 4e, though,) people touching the waters of the River Styx had to save or lose their memories completely. The Stygian Golem could have some kind of lesser effect (interested in seeing how one would do such a memory loss effect in 4e.)

As far as details for the other critters I suggested -

Lythlyx - spiral-flying, psionic eels. Here's a 3e conversion
Creature Catalog - Preview Creature

Aleax - basically, if you angered your god or some other celestial patron, they sent an angelic double of you to combat you. If you bested it, you received a bonus, if it killed you, then you were not worthy...
Monstrous Supplement - Aleax

Abat Dolor - a humanoid race from the Abyss from one of Gygax's novels (not necessarily canon, but served as the basis for Grazzt's look and origin)
Abat-dolor

Mesh Hong

First Post
This is very cool! One thing though, in past editions (not sure if its in 4e, though,) people touching the waters of the River Styx had to save or lose their memories completely. The Stygian Golem could have some kind of lesser effect (interested in seeing how one would do such a memory loss effect in 4e.)

You could make anyone touching it or anyone being hit by it (maybe a secondary attack vs. Will on its melee attacks) contract a Psychological Disorder (Amnesia) of an appropriate level, the rules and examples of this are in my Book of Distant Stars (see link in my sig).

Sporemine

First Post
The site is grinding to a halt due to the slow server. I need to know who is still looking at enworld and wants a monster. Post or re-post your monster ideas and they will be made by me or mesh.

K U D O S

-Sporemine

Soel

First Post
You could make anyone touching it or anyone being hit by it (maybe a secondary attack vs. Will on its melee attacks) contract a Psychological Disorder (Amnesia) of an appropriate level, the rules and examples of this are in my Book of Distant Stars (see link in my sig).

Cool! I have your pdf, but I haven't yet got to dig deep into it. Need to rectifiy that!

Sporemine, here are my requests when you find the time and patience.

Lythlyx - spiral-flying, psionic eels. Here's a 3e conversion
Creature Catalog - Preview Creature

Aleax - basically, if you angered your god or some other celestial patron, they sent an angelic double of you to combat you. If you bested it, you received a bonus, if it killed you, then you were not worthy...
Monstrous Supplement - Aleax

Abat Dolor - a humanoid race from the Abyss from one of Gygax's novels (not necessarily canon, but served as the basis for Grazzt's look and origin)
Abat-dolor

avin

First Post
I'm looking for a very fast wraith like creature that attacks by passing by their enemies, stealing HP.

An encounter power steals a healing surge.

Remove ads