Game night cancelled

Bullgrit

Adventurer
I look forward to my once-a-week game night. Even if we aren't playing D&D or any RPG, maybe just a board game. When something interferes -- work, illness, family, etc. -- it's really a let down, especially when the news of the cancellation comes just a few hours before the game was going to start.

When I was young, we played anytime, anywhere, anyhow. It was rare for a player to not be able to show up, but even if someone was missing we played. We didn't even need a quorum. Two guys can play? Fine, one DMs the other through a module, a pre-constructed and poplulated dungeon, or some hastily-made series of fights. Or maybe we just picked a couple of monsters out of the MM (or gods out of the D&DG) and pit them against each other.

We'd play at the very least once a week. Sometimes 2-3 times a week, even if only for an hour here and there. If we couldn't play, we could at least talk about playing.

Nowadays, with a family, a career, and all the other things that go along with them, once a week is the best I can manage. And there very little "shop talk" between game nights.

Our game night for tonight just got cancelled. And it disappoints and depresses me.

Is it really pathetic for a grown man to mope and pout because he won't be able to get his regular game fix this week?

Bullgrit

Hjorimir

Adventurer
I share DMing duties for Thursday night (same group, different campaigns) and I run two other 4e games and play in 1 other as well. That's a log of gaming and I still get disappointed when a game gets canceled.

:eek:

The nice part about being such an active DM is that I can put that time to good use working on upcoming sessions or my homebrew in general. So even when I'm not playing, I got plenty of D&D going through my head.

Cancellations do suck but I can only be so sympathetic because you at least get to game weekly on a regular basis.:mad:

Our group gets together on Friday night once every TWO weeks. Due to scheduling issues we even have the occasional cancelled game which means that sessions can be a MONTH apart! :.-(

With a bit of perspective, things are not so bad. ;)

Weregrognard

First Post
Nowadays, with a family, a career, and all the other things that go along with them, once a week is the best I can manage. And there very little "shop talk" between game nights.

Our game night for tonight just got cancelled. And it disappoints and depresses me.

I feel you, dice-brother. We only get to play one a month, and even that is like trying to herd gibberlings. Having to cancel that precious day puts me in the blackest of moods.

Sometimes I wonder if I should try to make younger friends with a surplus of free time :-S

Ktulu

First Post
I know the feeling. With our group, most of us work the 9-5 M-F. However, we do have one player who's currently in class and works mostly swing-shifts. Another player works 6-3, but can't show up until after 7pm because his wife doesn't want him to.

Thus, we have an odd issue where some players are ready hours earlier, and others can only make it with regular changes in schedules.

We do the best to manage, but still end up quite bummed when we miss a weekly game..

I feel you, dice-brother. We only get to play one a month, and even that is like trying to herd gibberlings. Having to cancel that precious day puts me in the blackest of moods.

Sometimes I wonder if I should try to make younger friends with a surplus of free time :-S

You see? No matter how bad your situation is, there is always someone worse off than you.:p

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Oh, I'm always depressed when a game gets cancelled. Or if we end up wasting most of the night on trivial stuff and ooc chatter and don't play much. My game once a week is about the only think I have to look forward to right now. Even when life gets better, I'll still be really upset any week I'm not playing. It's not like a videogame where I can just play tomorrow. People have schedules.

That being said, we've had like 6 game weeks cancelled in the last 8 months, maybe some more. And half of them were my fault.

Scribble

First Post
Right there with you man. I remember back in the day, when not gaming we were talking about gaming, when not enough of us showed for a normal game, we did other game related stuff- made character, painted minis, read game books, fought character gladiator style.

I still talk shop with some friends between sessions, but we don't game anywhere near as much as we used to. Once a week at best...

And yeah, when it gets cancelled it not only feels depressing, but it also feels odd.

kitsune9

Adventurer
I look forward to my once-a-week game night. Even if we aren't playing D&D or any RPG, maybe just a board game. When something interferes -- work, illness, family, etc. -- it's really a let down, especially when the news of the cancellation comes just a few hours before the game was going to start.

When I was young, we played anytime, anywhere, anyhow. It was rare for a player to not be able to show up, but even if someone was missing we played. We didn't even need a quorum. Two guys can play? Fine, one DMs the other through a module, a pre-constructed and poplulated dungeon, or some hastily-made series of fights. Or maybe we just picked a couple of monsters out of the MM (or gods out of the D&DG) and pit them against each other.

We'd play at the very least once a week. Sometimes 2-3 times a week, even if only for an hour here and there. If we couldn't play, we could at least talk about playing.

Is it really pathetic for a grown man to mope and pout because he won't be able to get his regular game fix this week?

Bullgrit

Not really. This is a hobby that we're passionate about and to not being able to play is a let down for us.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases