Att: WotC - Replacing PDF's

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Impressive. Not all of us has the time/patience for that kind of work though. We simply prefer to pay for it.

Some things you cannot pay for..so you must do it yourself. While I agree with you as far as doing the entire magazine runs, yes a lot of time but to do just what 1 or 2 books a month? That is just a day or two and it is done. Odds are you have spent more time on posts voicing your issues over this matter. I am only stating this because I did the exact same thing with NPC Generation software, I can't tell you how long I was banging my head against the wall with CMP to add decent NPC creation functionality to E-Tools. In the end, it took me a year to code my own software and they still didn't do it in that time. So if you really want this, then odds are you are the only person who can or will give it to you.

kitsune9

Adventurer
So, I was one of those who were very sad when WotC decided to pull the plug on their PDF's. I completely understand why WotC think they needed to do it, but that doesn't change the fact that I lost a very handy tool for my work as a dungeon master.

Thank god I could still cancel the order on the e-book reader I had made - A few weeks later and I would have been SOL.

Anyway, this thread is primarily here to remind our good friends at WotC that we still expect an alternative, as we were promised. It would also be mighty nice if we at some point could get an idea on how this project is coming along.

It's now been almost 4 months (okay, 3½ at least) since the PDF's were withdrawn, and I think it is about time that we start hearing what WotC are cooking up.

While we are waiting for an answer, I guess we could talk about what possibilities there are, as to replace the PDF's. I must admit that I know very little of these things, so my best suggestion would be to re-release PDF's again, but I am guessing that won't fly ><

Please keep any bitching or complaining about the fact that the PDF's were removed out of the thread. In general, lets try to keep the WotC-hate out of this thread.

I agree that WotC should provide us an alternative, but I am not holding my breath for it.

Jack99

Adventurer
Assuming you own the books could you pay someone to do it for you?

I have all the books. And I could pay someone to do it, I guess. But considering that I am already paying $60 for a hardcover book and minimum wages over here are around $20 an hour, you can see how quickly this will get very expensive. While I do not mind spending money, the madness must still make sense in a way.

It would be much cheaper for me if WotC got their act together and delivered what was promised. An alternative to the PDF. A digital product would also ensure that I do not get my books weeks after they are released in the US (okay, that one doesn't happen often, but it can).

Obviously if/when WotC comes out and tells us that they won't make a digital product, then I will either have to do it myself, pay someone or perhaps seek alternative ways to get a PDF of the books.

Drkfathr1

First Post
I have all the books. And I could pay someone to do it, I guess. But considering that I am already paying $60 for a hardcover book and minimum wages over here are around $20 an hour, you can see how quickly this will get very expensive. While I do not mind spending money, the madness must still make sense in a way.

It would be much cheaper for me if WotC got their act together and delivered what was promised. An alternative to the PDF. A digital product would also ensure that I do not get my books weeks after they are released in the US (okay, that one doesn't happen often, but it can).

Obviously if/when WotC comes out and tells us that they won't make a digital product, then I will either have to do it myself, pay someone or perhaps seek alternative ways to get a PDF of the books.

Hmmmm. Answers from WoTC? What a novel idea!

Add me to the list of those expecting nothing at this point. (Would love to be proven wrong)

Jack99

Adventurer
Hmmmm. Answers from WoTC? What a novel idea!

Add me to the list of those expecting nothing at this point. (Would love to be proven wrong)

I still trust Scott to drop a hint or something, once he gets back from fly-fishing in Montana!

(yeah, I am naive at times, I know.)

Jhaelen

First Post
I still trust Scott to drop a hint or something, once he gets back from fly-fishing in Montana!

(yeah, I am naive at times, I know.)
I think he would - if he had any idea.

However, I have to say, the piracy thingy seems to be pretty bad. When I recently searched the interwebs for an article or thread about assigning domains to the Eberron pantheon, it seemed about 2/3 of the hits were links to torrents. Sad.

However, I have to say, the piracy thingy seems to be pretty bad. When I recently searched the interwebs for an article or thread about assigning domains to the Eberron pantheon, it seemed about 2/3 of the hits were links to torrents. Sad.
Yep withdrawing the PDFs has really knocked the piracy on it's head then........:confused::erm:

GMSkarka

Explorer
I would expect nothing from WOTC on this, for a couple of reasons:

1) Their move did *nothing* to prevent PDFs of their products from showing up on various pirate sites. Copies still appear, but they're scanned instead of purchased PDFs, and take a few days longer to appear -- but that's been the only effect of their cunning plan.

2) The lawsuit they filed against the folks who had distributed pirated copies of PHB2 was able to be brought because they were able to identify those users through existing security methods. In other words, watermarking and steganography WORKED, and provided the needed info to the publisher. So to turn around and claim that they were pulling PDFs to "combat piracy" was... an odd choice, to put it kindly.

You're looking at a lawyer-derived policy, made by folks with a) little connection to the products themselves and b) even less connection to the community.

It won't change, and you won't see any true alternatives. What you will see is something completely different, with none of the same functionality, touted as a valid replacement.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Yeah. I sometimes think the only really effective anti-piracy measure would be to make it worth Google's while to not show torrent sites in its search results. Obviously WotC couldn't do this, but movie studios and record labels could.

Remove ads