Details from the WotC 2010 Spring catalog

Nai_Calus

First Post
One of the points of Planescape was, indeed, to make the Planes more accessible to low-level characters - but MOST EMPATHICALLY NOT as planar mega dungeons to slay the Fiend of the Month. That was the shtick of 1st edition AD&D.

I'm aware of that, I'm just commenting on the whole 'the old planescape planes sucked because they were so unaccessible' thing in posts like Nymrohd's.

avin

First Post
I don't think making planes more acessible is wrong.

It's not.

What I think it's wrong is removing planes such as elemental fire out of the game because they can't be an easy exploration ground.

Nymrohd

First Post
But they did not remove elemental fire (which really is not that hard to adventure in, try the negative quasi's for that), they just shoved it in the elemental chaos and probably have preserved most locations (probably all just no chance for them to show up yet).

As for Planescape being about making it easier to adventure in the planes at low levels, well that is not exactly right. Planescape products had a tiered approach in adventuring in the planes, starting you in Sigil or outland ring towns then moving you to the planes at what would be paragon tier in 4E. The border towns were not so much more unique in feel than any half-developed town in another setting, they had a specific feel and a few locations with some planar adventuring hooks. Sigil was the big thing since you could adventure there with small sidetrecks to the tamer spots in the planes till the midteens (at least in AD&D).

And yeah some of the old planescape planes did suck. Quite a few of the inner planes existed solely to fill in the grid and make mephit jokes.

avin

First Post
But they did not remove elemental fire

As far as I remember there's no more mention of separate elemental planes, except for Motp's guide to the Great Wheel.

This infinite plane of mixed elements doesn't appeal to me and that's it.

On my latest 4E campaign I decided to kept Elemental Soup for keeping things easy to these new players to understand, but there are still pure elemental planes which can be reach from the deep of Elemental Soup.

The Elemental Chaos has always existed on my games, as a nexus. What it represented in my games was killed on 4E cosmology.

As far as I remember there's no more mention of separate elemental planes, except for Motp's guide to the Great Wheel.

This infinite plane of mixed elements doesn't appeal to me and that's it.

On my latest 4E campaign I decided to kept Elemental Soup for keeping things easy to these new players to understand, but there are still pure elemental planes which can be reach from the deep of Elemental Soup.

The Elemental Chaos has always existed on my games, as a nexus. What it represented in my games was killed on 4E cosmology.
Who is to say there aren't pure elemental zones in the Elemental Chaos anyway?
Well, I guess the book on the Elemental Chaos will tell us. ;)

It's not like the plane of fire was pure, though - it had place for stuff like the City of Brass, right?

TylerDurden

Explorer
Any pics available

I know in the past some cover art was scanned from the Wizards catalog and posted. Any way this can be done now?

Would love to see the new HC books (Underdark and the module).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases