Vampire Bestiary

beej

Explorer
MM3 changes

This is beginning to feel like an annual affair, but now that the MM3 is close to coming out, the previews are hinting that the damage values for monsters may have been upgunned. Did you notice this as well, U_K? And do you plan on waiting for the MM3 to get a feel of the new damage values? Or would you rather just finish the Vampire bestiary and worry about the damage values after? >.>

I do want to see it come out already... :-S

Howdy beej mate! :)

beej said:
This is beginning to feel like an annual affair, but now that the MM3 is close to coming out, the previews are hinting that the damage values for monsters may have been upgunned. Did you notice this as well, U_K?

As far as I can see MM1 was undervalued on both basic and limited damages, MM2 was undervalued on limited damages. Perhaps MM3 will have proper basic and limited damage expressions.

I haven't heard any news suggesting they have upped the damage in MM3. The last thing I saw from them was their Volcano Dragon - which I actually thought was very good.

Has there been any previews since then? I'll have to go look around.

And do you plan on waiting for the MM3 to get a feel of the new damage values?

It sounds like a great excuse, but I just want to get my stuff done as quickly as possible.

What I do like are the new stat blocks in MM3. I toyed with the idea of updating my own, but upon further examination the only major improvement for me within the new stat blocks are the subdividers between Traits; Standard Actions; Minor Actions etc. I may still just throw those in, but what I have noticed is that a lot of my stat blocks are a tad bigger than theirs and I think even adding 3-4 new lines per stat block might throw some of them off kilter (onto a second column) - I'll wait until the book is 100% written and then decide.

Or would you rather just finish the Vampire bestiary and worry about the damage values after? >.>

There is nothing wrong with my damages whatsoever. They are maximised on both basic and limited damage expressions.

I also present several new ideas for the damage dealing capacity of really big monsters.

Also I am trying to be fairly evil when it comes to designing Epic and Legendary tier monsters.

I do want to see it come out already... :-S

I have finally fixed the Giant entry - I will be typing that up tonight and tomorrow. Again it was just one of those situations where I just had to overthink everything so that all the jigsaw pieces fit for this book and any of the other hypoethetical 20 books somewhere down the line.

For instance I love my new size rules, but (idiotically) what was holding me back is where the heck the minimums cut in for all the different tiers. Should Time Lords actually be universe sized (since the rules now actually work for it).

Pssthpok said:
Are you seriously still not done?

:yawn:

Regrettably, nope. I'm having more trouble getting over the finish line on this than I can fathom. But I will be sending Alzrius the beta this Sunday. So he can give the impartial view on progress.

Belzamus said:
^Hey! At least he's not George R. R. Martin! (going on 5 years to publish a book that was more than half finished 5 years ago...)

Nevertheless Pssthpok is right to complain. Even I have been starting to doubt myself on this one. Just doesn't make any sense. Even if I only got two pages done per (normal) week, then worst case scenario I should have got it done within 8 months. Given that I have had three months off work since this project was started not to mention at least a further year of 'normal' weeks I honestly don't know where the time has gone. When I took the month off in April/May with the exception of maybe 5-6 days total I was working 8 hours a day on the project. The idiotic irony is that I have maybe 500 pages of notes on the Vampire Bestiary but I still don't have the actual book done.

I don't know what the problem is between the ideas phase and just getting the darn book done - but obviously I have a problem. I have been tinkering with the idea of just getting an iPad and using that instead of a PnP notepad - but whether that would solve anything I don't know. I do know that I am going through a 250 page notebook at least every 2 months.

Hiya mate! :)

Alzrius said:
Excellent, I can't wait to receive it!

Be about 2 hours or so from now (give or take an hour). Still tons to do in it but at least you wil see its not completely imaginary (if you'll pardon the pun).

Pssthpok

First Post
I feel the urge to give Krust a kick here and there. He should know I mean him no harm. :)

As an aside, though, what kind of notes are you talking about here? How can you create so many notes and so little (pardon me) substance? I'd think at this sort of ratio, you'd just try to publish the notes!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases