Vampire Bestiary

Hey Rhuarc mate! :)

Rhuarc said:
That all sounds awesome UK, now if you were just able to get this stuff out more often than once every few years... :(

I know, I know. But all three parts of the Vampire Bestiary will happen within the space of a few months. So in one way it'll be a bumper year for Eternity Publishing. :eek:

Most of the Nosferatu are (low) Epic Tier, but the 'standard' Nosferatu would only be Level 18.
Ah, OK.

(in the Vampire Bestiary: Castle Dracula there are a few pages on both Vampire Religions & Deities as well as What vampires come from which planes.

Cool! Is Castle Dracula part 2 or part 3?

Every plane has their own vampire...including the higher dimensions/planes and the space in between.

The classic vampire progression now goes something like:

Vampire < Nosferatu < Vetala < something < something < something. ;)

...to put that into perspective, Alabaster would be a Vetala (albeit a powerful one)

So, are Vetala divine/Immortal tier vampires? Epic Bestiary Alabaster is ECL 209, which is in between Greater Deity and Elder One levels...

And, *three* levels above that? Wow...

Some vampires are composite monsters:

Nosferatu = Vampire + Mummy
Varcolac = Vampire + Werewolf
...and yes there are Mummy + Werewolf and Vampire + Mummy + Werewolf variants detailed too. But I'll keep them to myself for now. :p

Ah, OK... are all the planar vampires composite in that way?

Lexivore

First Post
I too am quite interested in the fact that you now have three levels of vampire above vetala. What volume of the VB will we see them in? Also, since Galactus is basically just a vampire on a planetary scale, where would he fit in your new scheme?

Hiya mate! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
So do you have large parts of Part 2 and 3 written from before you decided to split up the book?

I think I have 30 pages of part 2 (Temple of Death) completed, with the other 30 about 25% completed.

I probably only have about 20 pages of part 3 (Castle Dracula) completed.

But part 2 could be out in April (or worst case scenario May at the latest - because I am off almost the entire month of May)

Incidentally, as regards part 1, I work tonight and then I'm off for 10 days. I basically just have the maps to do (I actually did get stuck on 2-3 paragraphs so I can't say the text is 100% but its virtually 100%). Hopefully I'll get it all sorted in that space of time. :eek:

Hiya mate! :)

Khisanth the Ancient said:
Cool! Is Castle Dracula part 2 or part 3?

Castle Dracula is part 3, although technically it should be part 2. I'm just that much further on with the Thuggee/Temple of Death section that it makes more sense trying to get that one finished first.

But in terms of the overall monster level average and the adventure, Castle Dracula should be the 'middle one'.

When I come to put all three parts together in the (full) Vampire Bestiary, I'll put Castle Dracula in the middle.

So, are Vetala divine/Immortal tier vampires? Epic Bestiary Alabaster is ECL 209, which is in between Greater Deity and Elder One levels...

Vetala are sort of the pinnacle of Earthly vampires. I think the basic Vetala (if there is such a thing) would be about Demigod level.

Initially I had the Vetala in the low 30's. But I am purposefully trying to lower the levels of monsters (without compromising their divine power) so I believe the current Vetala build is in the high 20's.

And, *three* levels above that? Wow...

The amazing thing is that two of those are from mythology, albeit with minor tweaks from yours truly. ;)

Ah, OK... are all the planar vampires composite in that way?

Not really.

Basically I started writing for the Vampire section about the classic monster trifecta (Vampire-Werewolf-Mummy) and in typical Krusty fashion it snowballed from a paragraph into about a page of text with tables and stuff. So the more I went over it the more these things all fit into place.

Howdy Lexivore! :)

Lexivore said:
I too am quite interested in the fact that you now have three levels of vampire above vetala.

Technically there may actually be four... ;)

What volume of the VB will we see them in?

That's a very good question. The answer sort of depends upon how well the Vampire Bestiary parts sell.

I'm brilliant at making plans and then taking years to get them realised, so lets just get these three parts done and then worry about whats coming next afterwards.

Also, since Galactus is basically just a vampire on a planetary scale, where would he fit in your new scheme?

Interesting.

If we assume that the four (as noted above) tiers above Vetala are numbered 1-4, Galactus might be a 2.5 (off the top of my head).

Hey all! :)

I've been working on the maps and to be honest they are kicking my butt at the minute. I'm starting to ponder exactly how integral the maps are to the adventure given that abbreviated format of each encounter. If I can't get a handle on them within a week I'll probably look to release the document without them and gauge from the feedback if they are necessary for the (eventual) errata'ed update...since the book is primarily a bestiary.

beej

Explorer
Hey there U_K,

Personally I don't care too much for delves. If the map's the thing keeping you from releasing your first Bestiary, I suggest you do a rough sketch and show it somewhere - I'm sure there are people around who'd be all too willing to make it more presentable.

I know it sounds selfish, but I just want to see 4E stuff from you. Hopefully you get to roll out some epic stuff before 5E arrives. :p

Remove ads