Vampire Bestiary

Hi all! :)

Okay, I have the file ready for upload to RPGNow (just finished the bookmarks on the pdf). :D

I have about an hour or so before I need to get ready for work, hopefully that will be enough time for me to refamiliarise myself (hey its been 5 years since I uploaded one of these*) with all the different options, previews, thumbnails and so forth. If its not sorted tonight (and fingers crossed it should be - expect it tomorrow).

* :eek:

Rhuarc

Explorer
Thanks for the link, already bought it! Glad you were finally able to release it, now let's hope you can finish the second book this year as well :)

Rhuarc said:
Thanks for the link, already bought it!

I appreciate the support Rhuarc mate! :)

Glad you were finally able to release it, now let's hope you can finish the second book this year as well :)

I'll be trying to finish the second book within 4-6 weeks...about the time I plan to update the first.

Hey Rhuarc matey! :)

Rhuarc said:
Well, we know how well your prediction usually work out so...4-6 months would be fast for you mate ;)

Anyway, looking forward to it!

QFT! :blush:

I wouldn't put it past me to drag it out 4-6 months, although the reality is that IT IS VERY nearly finished. By the end of next week I could have everything finished other than the Adventure portion of the book.

I've done so much work leading up to this Vampire Bestiary release that I basically have half a dozen books in various stages of development.

Vampire Bestiary: Mountain of the Cannibal God (admittedly a few maps still required)
Vampire Bestiary: Temple of Death (60% completed with 80% of the art completed)
Vampire Bestiary: Castle Dracula (30% completed with 60% of the art done)

Vampire Bestiary: Forest of Intestines (20% completed, no art yet)
Vampire Bestiary: Shadows of the Death Bat (20% completed, no art yet)
Vampire Bestiary: Blood of the Abyss (20% completed, no art yet)

...plus 3 others whose titles I won't divulge (each about 20% completed). ;)

Rhuarc

Explorer
That all sounds great, but let's try and focus your time on the second part instead of half a dozen if at all possible, ok? I don't know how your work process is, but if you just wouldn't try to do everything at the same time, I'm pretty sure you actually would be able to get books finished within a reasonable amount of time :)

Hey Rhuarc mate! :)

Rhuarc said:
That all sounds great, but let's try and focus your time on the second part instead of half a dozen if at all possible, ok?

I know, I know. :eek:

I'm only working on the maps and Temple of Death and nothing else.

I don't know how your work process is, but if you just wouldn't try to do everything at the same time, I'm pretty sure you actually would be able to get books finished within a reasonable amount of time :)

Usually what happens is that I'll decide to start something small...say a 32 page pdf. So I start work on this, then I'll get some good ideas I can't leave out. Then I'll have some other ideas too cool to drop. Then the ideas just keep snowballing and snowballing until you have enough ideas for 320 pages and you end up lost under the weight of all the ideas. :confused:

Rhuarc

Explorer
Well, better too many ideas than not enough! The more great ideas you have that we want to see, the more money you will make of those ideas, so both sides profit from it.

The problem is that all the great new stuff you come up with and can't/won't leave out delays you that long, that we won't be able to see even 10% of them all. Of course this is very frustrating, to know the many awesome things you still have in store and want to "get out there", but just not the time to do it. I guess almost all of your potential customers and fans would prefer to see "just" your initial great ideas, but 100% of them every few months or so, than 10% of even more great ideas every few years...it's no use for either of us if you don't finish a book in a reasonable amount of time, you won't be able to show all the new things you came up with and we won't be able to see them because we will all die of old age before even half of them are done ;)

I'm not saying just ignore these ideas completely. How about this: Once the snowballs start flying, why don't you write down this new idea in a few short sentences, take a step back (not literally) and think for a minute if this is something you really need to include in your planned 32 page book. If the answer is no (you have a great idea about a paragon level vampire that doesn't fit into the heroic tier section of the bestiary books), you leave it be for the time being. Don't start fleshing out the idea or even write a quick stat block for it. I'm sure once the time comes for the second book and you look at your notes, the more detailed ideas will come back.

Honestly, I have no idea if such an approach would work at all, but when I hear that the next three or four books are already 20% completed, I can not help but think that you have actually been working on them for several hours already.

Anyway, just throwing ideas around in the hope you will be able to focus a bit more on the current book which in the end will help all of us :)

Hey Rhuarc mate! :)

I think (or hope rather) the key is just sticking to the initial design brief and not adding to it. In other words do all the research at the start rather than keep researching (vampires in this case) even when you are halfway through completing the project.

But we'll see how it goes. I'm hoping to get the Vampire Monsters section of Temple of Death completed this week. Which would virtually mean just the Adventure section (and 3 pieces of art) would remain. Then I can concentrate on all the maps for both books.

However, frustrating it is for you guys its far more annoying for me - I can assure you. :.-(

Remove ads